Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Default Re: Can a player who can't palm the ball able to become an allstar/superstar in the NBA?

Dirk maybe

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Default Re: Can a player who can't palm the ball able to become an allstar/superstar in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Rasheed Wallace had small hands and he could barely palm the ball. It's part of the reason he wasn't that good of a rebounder. He couldn't pull them down with one hand
    put K.Love can

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    You guys are only focusing on height and hand size. The most important thing when you are palming the ball are the strength of your fingers. Having bigger hands helps but if you have small hands you can still palm the ball. I've seen a tiny asian man do it so its definitely possible.
    This is true.

I'm like 5'8 150 w/ smallish hands but my hands and fingers are strong (thank you captain of crush hand grippers) and I can palm the ball due to finger and hand strength.

Barkley could not palm the ball.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    How can an nba player not palm the ball? I'm 5'11 and can palm a ball
    yes, because every person in the world has the same genes as you

palming the ball is like the least important thing in basketball

Local High School Star

CP would be a complete scrub if they didn't let him palm the ball

I have hands smaller than a 4'11" girl's.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by demons2005
    CP would be a complete scrub if they didn't let him palm the ball
    I believe you're mixing up two different types of palming. From what I've gathered, the original poster is referring to this type of palming, where a player has the basketball fully gripped:
    This is not to be confused with the dribbling violation some refer to as "palming", where a player's hand slips beneath the ball in-between dribbles. In this instance, they do not literally grip the ball (as shown in the Jordan picture). This is close to being an example here:

was reading somwhere once that josh smith cant palm the ball

Quote Originally Posted by allabouthawks
    was reading somwhere once that josh smith cant palm the ball

Patrick Ewing can't palm the either. I remember back hearing that from Walt Clyde Frazier on the radio 20 years ago saying that Ewing got small hands for a man of his size.

College superstar

also, palming an NBA ball is different than palming a sticky TF-1000.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

What the hell does palming a ball have to do with becoming a superstar in the NBA?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by NJW1247
    What the hell does palming a ball have to do with becoming a superstar in the NBA?
    See CP and AI. They are nothing without palming the ball and everyone knows it that's why people prefer college basketball