Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Get the fvck over the draft lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
    You have no point other than i hate Cleveland. The cavs havnt missed on draft picks they have plenty of cap space, expiring contracts for trades and loads of future picks including three first rounders next year. they havnt messed up anywhere other than coaching and have been very unlucky to get high draft picks in shit draft classes. those the facts not the force fed ish/espn bs.
    I don't hate the Cavs at all, Mr. "you clearly are missing the point." Probably the most bothersome part is that I like the Cavs, but it wasn't unconditional and now I feel like there is less point in hoping they are good. I was a big Mark Price and Brad Dougherty fan growing up. I was excited when they got Kemp (even though he did not retain his Sonic abilities). I was a big fan of the Cavs in LeBron's earlier years (even rooted for them over the Spurs). Then, I was pissed as hell when LeBron ditched them. I was happy they got Irving, and even intrigued to an extent when they got a 2nd #1 pick. But the 3rd in 4 years means they have no excuse for not being contender in the future when all the other teams get the scraps from those years. Realistically, they should have 3 #1 picks in their prime in the future, while most other teams with #1 picks will have either pre-prime or post-prime players.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Not to mention Duncan and Robinson were how many drafts apart? Robinson being on the backside of his career when Duncan was getting started. Wasn't he like 35 during the 2nd championship? ... Spurs later consisting of late round steals in Manu/Tony Parker.

Cavaliers just ripped off 3 1st overalls in 4 years. Robinson was drafted 1st overall in 86' the Spurs made the playoffs and than he got hurt and the Spurs "kept him out" which BTW gets mentioned by fans too and drafted Duncan in 1997.
    Robinson was drafted in '87, but his rookie year was 1990. He was putting up 16/10 and 2+ blocks per game with DPOY level defense during their first championship and was the team's starting center, averaging just under a double-double with still very good defense, during their second one.

That really wasn't even the point, though... it was the level of player we're talking about with Robinson/Duncan, which the Cavs haven't had the opportunity to acquire despite their recent good fortune. I was making the point that the actual drafts matter as much or more than the picks themselves. I stand by that.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    With that said, I think a lot of the arguments here are misguided. The actual individual drafts matter... a lot. And, up to this point, I don't feel the Cavs have really been gifted all that much (again, Kyrie was had in a trade). I expect this draft to be much better than the last few, so this pick is hugely important... but, getting No. 1 last year and No. 4 in 2011 and 2012 doesn't exactly strike me as being gifted a dynasty regardless of who we took.
    Yeah enough keystrokes have been wasted. Both potentially getting ahead of ourselves too because Cleveland's "1st overall" picks are still pretty young. AB while looking extremely unimpressive as a rookie could turn into something, Irving could still have another gear, this great 1st overall in the current draft could fall flat on his face as well.

Logical or not, right or wrong 3/4 1st overall picks will rub people the wrong way no matter how you slice it. Look at the history of the NBA lottery, look at the past 4 years. Something happened we haven't seen before. Admittedly I didn't think of the Cavs trading for the pick, that was a smart move. Drafts haven't been exactly loaded but still think Irving + this current draft is being downplayed by you.

The misguided Bynum experiment cost them a spot in the playoffs this year, no doubt about. I liked the move at the time, though, and still think it was worth the risk (since there was no risk, financially speaking).

It's not like they didn't try to get in after he was gone, too. The acquisitions of Deng and Hawes got them very close, but the Bynum hole was a little too deep to climb out of. They were close, while also being the second youngest roster in the league.

What happened tonight was by pure chance. They had the best record of any team picking in the Top 10 in the draft. This was not a case of tanking for a pick. That's why I'm not going apologize for getting a little lucky, especially for a sports town that has endured as much bad luck as Cleveland, be it the Browns, Indians or Cavs.

Maybe there is something to this karma thing, because I feel like if any fans deserve it, it is ours.
    I think the Bynum thing is a pretty poor excuse given how epically weak the East is. Hard to say "he is the reason we couldn't win 37 games" when he only played 24 games all season, and he was traded for a recent all-star and a good big for the last 1/3 of the season or so. Sure, he hurt the team, but the East is just so bad.

I'm aware it was chance, and I'm not in any way expecting you to apologize for your team. I'm just hoping you can see why it could make somebody like myself, who was a casual fan of the Cavs, have a hard time pulling for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    But the 3rd in 4 years means they have no excuse for not being contender in the future when all the other teams get the scraps from those years.
    And, if that's your overall point, then I agree. There is no longer any excuses.

My main gripe was the idea that it wouldn't mean anything if they do become contenders because they've had a streak of luck. It will still take some work and the pieces still have to fit.

I would have been just as happy picking 3rd this year without all this scrutiny.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Robinson was drafted in '87, but his rookie year was 1990. He was putting up 16/10 and 2+ blocks per game with DPOY level defense during their first championship and was the team's starting center, averaging just under a double-double with still very good defense, during their second one.

That really wasn't even the point, though... it was the level of player we're talking about with Robinson/Duncan, which the Cavs haven't had the opportunity to acquire despite their recent good fortune. I was making the point that the actual drafts matter as much or more than the picks themselves. I stand by that.
    Yeah all I meant was the drafts were ten years apart. If Irving was drafted ten years ago this thread wouldn't have been created. Obviously quality of players are much different, just like the situations are.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I think the Bynum thing is a pretty poor excuse given how epically weak the East is.
    The numbers don't lie.... Something like 15 games under .500 with him while the team was completely healthy... And then they played essentially .500 ball when he was traded despite key lengthy injuries to key guys (Kyrie, Dion, Deng, Varejao).

I don't feel it is an excuse so much as a pretty obvious fact when you dissect the numbers/records while he was on the team and when he wasn't. Even when he wasn't on the floor, he had the team in complete disarray according to reports.

But, whatever.... I have to crash. Getting dizzy.

And, if that's your overall point, then I agree. There is no longer any excuses.

My main gripe was the idea that it wouldn't mean anything if they do become contenders because they've had a streak of luck. It will still take some work and the pieces still have to fit.

I would have been just as happy picking 3rd this year without all this scrutiny.
    Yeah, that is my overall point. They have no excuses for not being towards the top of the NBA when their players get to their primes. I felt they had no legit excuse for even being in this draft, but that wasn't my original point.

I'm going to be getting off soon

Btw, if the Cavs were to win a championship because of 3 #1s, I may not be as thrilled as I would have without them winning this draft, but I'll be happy for the fans of the team (assuming not too many of them are bandwagon fans at that point).
    Last edited by Myth; 05-21-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
    You have no point other than i hate Cleveland. The cavs havnt missed on draft picks they have plenty of cap space, expiring contracts for trades and loads of future picks including three first rounders next year. they havnt messed up anywhere other than coaching and have been very unlucky to get high draft picks in shit draft classes. those the facts not the force fed ish/espn bs.
    Bennett

Im having a hard time "believing" that the Cavs "should" be amazing because of their recent luck in the lottery. This is coming from a guy whose supported a team that's been in the lottery all but 7 times in the past 3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Im having a hard time "believing" that the Cavs "should" be amazing because of their recent luck in the lottery. This is coming from a guy whose supported a team that's been in the lottery all but 7 times in the past 3 decades.
    Big difference between being in the lottery a lot and winning it a lot, don't ya think?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Bring on the Draft Wheel!!!

I think there is a good possibility that it happens after this draft.

It is what it is. I personally hope Embiid gets to Milwaukee and doesn't bust out Oden or Olowokandi style. Somehow I feel he'll get cursed if he goes to Cleveland.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    Bennett

meh, if the cavs took Len same result.

If the cavs took Porter same result.

If the cavs took Cody Zeller same result.

If the cavs took Noel, who the f*ck knows.

The cavs were not about to draft their 3rd 6'3'' guard in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    meh, if the cavs took Len same result.

If the cavs took Porter same result.

If the cavs took Cody Zeller same result.

If the cavs took Noel, who the f*ck knows.

The cavs were not about to draft their 3rd 6'3'' guard in 3 years.
    Should have traded the pick then rather than waste it on a useless sack of shit.