Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bol'd over

Default McHale's wingspan?

I always remembered him having loooooong arms, but I am currently watching game 4, '87 Finals (baby hook) and Herman Munster could almost scratch his knees without bending over. Just out of curiosity, anyone know his wingspan?

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: McHale's wingspan?

longer than yao's?

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    longer than yao's?
    Longer than Yao!

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Gad23's Avatar

he had retared looking arms. actually he looked kinda retarded. perhaps same or slightly longer than yao's 7'4 wingspan. btw i can almost touch my knees without bending over. great asset to have long arms. 6'2 with 6'8 wingspan. lol.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by Gad23
    he had retared looking arms. actually he looked kinda retarded. perhaps same or slightly longer than yao's 7'4 wingspan. btw i can almost touch my knees without bending over. great asset to have long arms. 6'2 with 6'8 wingspan. lol.
    That is what I have trouble understanding, I am 6'8" with 6'8" wingspan.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

McHale also had the advantage of having high shoulders, which makes his standing reach higher than it should be even given his height and wingspan. Phil Jackson was smaller but had a similar build.
    And wingspan vs hieght is a great physical trait measurement. It puts the ball closer to the floor when handling, closer to the rim when shooting, and makes for a good defender. The jumper can sometimes be thrown off though because of the amount of moving part.

College superstar

It was probably long for that era. Nowadays, we have shooting guards with 7'5 wingspans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    It was probably long for that era. Nowadays, we have shooting guards with 7'5 wingspans.
    Like who?

McHale's wingspan had to be at least as long as whatever would be top 2-3 in the league today at 6"10". His arms were really long.

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    I would say that is a slight exaggeration. The only SG/SF's I can think of with that kind of wingspan are Tracy McGrady and T. Prince..

T. Prince: 7'4
    T. McGrady: 7'3
    Last edited by Revelation; 11-13-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Yup. Prince have really really long arms man. I love that block on Reggie Miller. Haha.:

College superstar

edit: and yea, slight exaggeration on my part.

Kat Mobley is 6'4 with a 7'4 wingspan, as was Charles Smith (the one with the acne who played for the Blazer's and Spurs). Barbosa is a point guard with a 6'10 wingspan. Josh Howard is 6'6.5 with shoes on and a 7'2 wingspan. Jason Maxiell is the same with a 7'3 wingspan. Amara Sy is 6'8 with a 7'5 wingspan. Rudy Gay is 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan. Al Thornton goes 6'7 in shoes with a 7'1 wingspan.

All these measurements are taken directly from their NBA combine numbers which as you know, aren't embellished. I just wasn't able to find Mobley's (one site said 6'3 and one said 7'1, but I remember hearing that number on both him and Charles Spider Smith). The longest wingspan in this entire draft class who went to the combine was Ekena Ibekwe (undrafted) from MD and he's 6'9 in shoes with a 7'6. I don't know who Antywane Robinson is, but at 6'7.5 he has a 7'4.5 wingspan.

Saer Sane has the longest I think ever in the NBA, or since they have kept record. His wingspan is 7'8.5 and his reach is 9'5. Patrick O'Bryant of the Warriros also has a 9'5 standing reach, but only a 7'6 wingspan.

Draftexpress has a great sortable database of these numbers from the pass few classes

http://www.draftexpress.com/measurem...draft=0&sort=5
    Last edited by DatZNasty; 11-13-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    longer than yao's?
    Yao's wingspan is short. In fact, his wingspan is shorter than his height, which is unusual. But Asians tend to have short penguin arms.

Good High School Starter

I dunno, but Manute Bol must of had a ridiculous wingspan at his height. Those are some long arse arms.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    McHale also had the advantage of having high shoulders, which makes his standing reach higher than it should be even given his height and wingspan. Phil Jackson was smaller but had a similar build.
    And wingspan vs hieght is a great physical trait measurement. It puts the ball closer to the floor when handling, closer to the rim when shooting, and makes for a good defender. The jumper can sometimes be thrown off though because of the amount of moving part.
    Yep, Mchale did have high shoulders, but I doubt Mchale's wingspan is longer than Yao's given that he's at least 7 inches shorter. His wingspan I've heard and I assume is probably 7,3 or 7,4" and standing reach (w/ shoes) probably 9,3" or 9,4" I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The jumper can sometimes be thrown off though because of the amount of moving part.
    Which is why the better shooters with a sizable wingspan (McHale, Rasheed Wallace) develop that jumper that has a high release point and is basically a snap of the wrist.