Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Default Is LeBron Now Legitimately the Favorite for MVP?

I, like everyone else, have thought all season that LeBron didn't really have a chance at being MVP. I thought that LeBron might deserve it in the end, but that playing with Wade and the residual backlash from The Decision would keep him from it. Now, with almost half the season over with, does that logic still stand?

LeBron's playing arguably the best basketball of his career. If the award was based solely off individual performance, it would be LeBron's to lose. Averaging 30 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists on 54% shooting is truly special.

The Wade argument at this point might just be in his favor. As great as Wade is, he hasn't been right all season. He's played only 19 games and is averaging just 22 points a game. That's not bad, but it's his worst since his rookie season. LeBron's clearly been the Heat's best player this year.

Kevin Durant seemed like the likely pick, but he doesn't seem to be catching fire in the narrative department. While his average of 27 points and 8 rebounds on 50% shooting is pretty remarkable, not many seem to be remarking on it. The dust up with Westbrook (if even media created) has seemed to leave everyone questioning Durant's position on the team.

Anyway, the point being, is there now a real chance that LeBron could end up winning the MVP award? Is he the legitimate front-runner or still on the outside looking in?

Banned

Default Re: Is LeBron Now Legitimately the Favorite for MVP?

Its obviously 2 horse race between him n Durant now.

NBA rookie of the year

He already won.

Since January

Quote Originally Posted by DRose1899
    Its obviously 2 horse race between him n Durant now.
    This. It'll be a two man race to the end of the season.

Banned

Who got the best record wins. that simple.

GTFO for bron winning MVP if he not got best record, he have no reason for not got that with this heat team. Same with Durant.

Local High School Star Lord Leoshes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    He already won.

GTFO for bron winning MVP if he not got best record, he have no reason for not got that with this heat team. Same with Durant.
    He's playing the best basketball of anyone in the league and his team is 22-7. He's the frontrunner, followed by Durant.

If Lebron can get his 3rd MVP and somehow overcome his biggest hurdle (play well in the Finals), damn. I actually feel bad for his haters. You know they're gonna be hurting seeing dude leapfrog the all-time ranks.

Right now, Miami's winning percentage is .759. OKC's is .778. If OKC ends up with the best record by that slim of a margin, why should that matter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    If Lebron can get his 3rd MVP and somehow overcome his biggest hurdle (play well in the Finals), damn. I actually feel bad for his haters. You know they're gonna be hurting seeing dude leapfrog the all-time ranks.
    I'd have to put him in the top 15 if he wins the MVP and a ring. I think you'd have to start looking at guys like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Dr. J and wondering why they'd deserve to be above LeBron at that point.

No matter how great he plays, I have a hard time believing he'll ever get it again as long as he's on the Heat with Wade and Bosh. How often does the best player in the league actually win this award? Isn't it more like feel good stories more than anything else?

In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and make the bold prediction that Lebron is never going to win this award again. The temptation to give it to CP3 or Durant or someone else will be too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    I'd have to put him in the top 15 if he wins the MVP and a ring. I think you'd have to start looking at guys like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Dr. J and wondering why they'd deserve to be above LeBron at that point.
    Absolutely... He would have accomplished just as much as those guys (the Malone's, Barkley's, Erving's, West's, etc.) I'd have him anywhere from 12-15 - of course all of that depends on how he plays in the Finals.

Depends on how far the Clippers go and how dominant CP3 looks in the playoffs. The NBA loves a good story, and CP3 is the perfect candidate. Lebron is playing out of his mind this year.

By the way, before the douches start chiming in...I want to add that Lebron probably IS the best player in the game right now. I just don't think he'll win because the best player RARELY wins.