Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default What if we trade our pick

I am never a fan of trading draft picks, but this may actually be the right time to do so.

What if we became the third wheel on the Melo deal.
We have everything Denver is looking for:
2 first rounders
some established youth
expiring contracts
tpe

Of course we would have to be compensated REALLY well and I wouldn't consider it otherwise.

My thinking is this:
The draft is really pretty weak.
If we somehow land a top 3 pick we will get a potential franchise player, but if we fall to 5-7 we probably will be stuck with an average player at best. So it is a crapshoot.

What kind of package would you be willing to accept for the 2 picks, tpe, expiring contract, etc.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation
Default Re: What if we trade our pick

We really need a young star with as high potential as possible this year. We're probably only likely to get that in the draft. But if we could get someone who fits that description by trading the pick I'd be open to it.

I don't know if there's any way we could land such a potential megastar by getting in the Melo deal.

I'd like to get Ricky Rubio somehow. In a dream scenario we could do that without trading the pick but I personally would trade the pick for him.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I woldn't trade the main pick but the second pick for sure. I really like Lawson's game. If all the top guys are gone by the time we draft, I wouldn't mind trading down to a desperate team though.

Last edited by Reef : 02-09-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

The only good trade I can imagine is something like...
Fields + Gallinari + Ed Curry to Toronto for
Barbosa and R.Evans to the Knicks
picks to Denver

but I don't expect NY to give so much.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
The only good trade I can imagine is something like...
Fields + Gallinari + Ed Curry to Toronto for
Barbosa and R.Evans to the Knicks
picks to Denver

but I don't expect NY to give so much.
Exactly what do the Raps get from this trade? Absolutely nothing...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Exactly what do the Raps get from this trade? Absolutely nothing...
Fields and Gallinari
That is much more value than our pick.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Fields and Gallinari

No it isn't. Neither of those are worth a top 5 pick, and most probably, a top 3 pick...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Fields and Gallinari

Probably not. Depends on where we draft.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
No it isn't. Neither of those are worth a top 5 pick, and most probably, a top 3 pick...

i agree although gallinari is a stud. He is not worth a top 5 pick.

trade is awful and puts us back big time. None of those guys are franchise players and we end up getting more supporting casts.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Fields and Gallinari
Solid players but with the Raptors being as bad as they are with little legit talent on the current roster, I'd take the risk at getting a legit All-Star with the lottery pick. It may happen or it may not but I'd take the risk.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Solid players but with the Raptors being as bad as they are with little legit talent on the current roster, I'd take the risk at getting a legit All-Star with the lottery pick. It may happen or it may not but I'd take the risk.

Only way I would trade the pick is if its for a higher pick.. or for a star thats going to change your team (Melo). But we all know that no one is going to sign an extension to be the Man of a rebuilding team in Toronto.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The draft is really the best chance for the Raptors to obtain a star player at a reasonable price over several years.

If the next CBA has similar rules to the current one in terms of rookie contracts and restricted free agency, you basically have any great player you draft for at least 6 years at a relatively good price. Possibly more if you can build a great team around them with title chances in the future.

You have their rookie deal and then you almost assuredly have them for their first big contract too. Great players looking at max deals after their rookie deal do not risk the one-year qualifying offer to have a chance at unrestricted free agency. It doesn't happen. At worst they'll do something like Bosh and Lebron did where only 3 of the years are guaranteed. It's on your management to create a great team and convince them to stay.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: