Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default great britain

Great Britain are playing Spain in a friendly tonight. No doubt Spain will win.Great Britain are missing Archibald,Betts,Mesah bonsu,Deng.
Are these guys going to play in the euro?If not,oh my God what hammerings they are going to get!
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
inaminute23
I airball my layups

inaminute23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: great britain

Archibald will make his comeback tonight. Betts also might be available (got personal issues to deal with, but is in Spain somewhere). Pops is still a no show, but is due anytime, saying that, we have heard that news for the last week or so. Deng is a defo no show although some people are now thinking he will play in eurobasket (pie in the sky in my opinion). We also welcome back Sullivan who only played one game over weekend as did Boyd who did impress at the PG spot.

Here were my thoughts of last weekend's tournament where with a massively depleted squad, GB shown potential.

Just got back from the O2! Really enjoyed the weekend, gutted most of our starting 5 were out though.

Positives

Clark what a revelation! Looks like he is going to have a break out year. Similar player to Freeland & can go a long way.

I thought our defense was outstanding in the first 2 games, let it slip tonight though. With the additions of the big names I fear nobody.

Gave everyone a match with a hugely depleted team. The Turkey game was there for the taking (i'll get back to how we lost it)

Justin Robinson shows really good promise for a very young inexperienced guard. This guy has a bright future.

Again was mightly impressed with Boyd on Saturday. Played the point really effectively bringing up the tempo, and in on instance did a massive cross over on a Turkish player that he twisted his ankle!

Bench scoring, yes bench scoring! This bodes extemely well! In theory all our points scored over the weekend were mainly from the bench. My guess of the players that were in the squad this weekend only Reinking & Boyd will start. Over the weekend performances George might get the 3 spot over Sullivan (carring an injury though). If all players return i think we have an arsenal of attacking options on the bench.

Take 3-4 top players out of Israel, Poland & Turkey's teams, and the GB team that played this weekend batter these teams no doubt in my mind we would be just to strong defensively. I would challenge anyone to argue that.

Another positive is the offense over each game got better. Ball movement was better & cut down slightly on stupid turnovers. This was always going to be the hardset part but it did improve & like i said befor in theory it was bench scoring.

Must applaud BPB for the merchandise, it weas selling like hot cakes!! 25 for a replica vest in blue or white with Deng, Freeland, Pops, Betts, Archibald printed on. Good value in my opinion & they have took alot of money over weekend. Hundreds of shirts definately sold.

Negatives

Now this totally pi**ed me off! Free throws, an absoloute disgrace! I've not seen official stats but for the 1st 2 games it must be 45-50% max! TRULY APPALLING AND NEEDS TO DEALT WITH QUICK! I never seen a proffesional team be that poor. If it wasn't for poor free throw shooting we would've beat Turkey, no doubt about it. Again if we would've hit 20% more against Poland it would've been tighter. The Israel game we let our defence slip but our Offense definately stepped up!

Obviousley our offense wasn't great but did improve. Very understandable with the squad that was out though.

Some players who got court time did not make the most of it. Hanke, a huge guy who plays like a scared scrwany kid, missing simple lay ups not moving his feet fast enough on defense & basically lost!
Leven, again offered nothing! Poor shot selection & non existent defence. Germaynes Forbes offered zero anything. Toney a bit harsh didn't have much court time but he was called up late & doesn't look with it.

So players to be cut are Hanke, Leven, Toney, Forbes, Achara (because of how good Clark has been).

The commentator was not bad, but never mentioned Eurobasket at all till the final day late on. Or letting the crowd know about the players who were out injured. Most people watching will think were crap, well far from it!

All in all i'm quite happy. I din't think we would win any of the games with the players who were out. However I didn't think we could compete to such a level which must make the other teams think GB can do some serious damage with their big guns back.

Keep the faith because hopefully soon were about to blow some big fish out of the water!!!
inaminute23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
la bomba
Local High School Star

archibald is def missing tonight with a hernia.Pops is in Toronto sorting out a contract and Betts wont play either. Clark and Freeland are both great prospects,best they did was go to Spain from an early age. So many british kids think that the only way to make it is going to a U.S uni!Even in the NBA they know that europe is a better grounding,especially for bigmen,they develop an ability to read the game and play an all round game.In the states big guys are developed to be like Dwight,big powerhouses,build like brick houses who can't shoot and have a very limited game.
I think Great Britain have a very difficult group in the euros, but if they can have all their interior players plus Deng they will make it difficult for the rest.Their problem is their lack of a proper floor general,a point guard with brains that can read the game.As for Sullivan,i don't think he is up for this standard,saw him the year he was in DKV and played about 3 mins a game and didn't impress atall.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
inaminute23
I airball my layups

Betts & Archibald did play tonight! GB were beaten 84-63, but should've been closer if it wasn't for biased Spanish reffing. Read the report at www.gbbasketball.net
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaminute23
Betts & Archibald did play tonight! GB were beaten 84-63, but should've been closer if it wasn't for biased Spanish reffing. Read the report at www.gbbasketball.net
I dont think it could have been closer, if the refereeing would have been fairer or even bias towards britain ,spain would have played at another gear, they played in 2nd gear.I think the gap between these sides is inmense. yes Archibald and Betts did play but between them got less than 10 points i think.Clark scoreless and Freeland only 6.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Brits beat Slovenia 63-56.

Slovenia had Lorbek, Nachbar, Udrih, Dragic, Vujacic, Lakovic, Slokar, and Brezec all playing. What an embarassing loss for the Slovenians. Leading scorers for the Slovenians were Goran Jagodnik and Samo Udrih with 7 pts. each.

Reinking and Achara had 13 each for the Brits.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
inaminute23
I airball my layups

Great win tonight! We really needed that after 5 straight defeats. Betts & Achara had really good games, and we were without Freeland, Archibald & Pops. The latter hopefully will arrive soon as he has just singed for the Houston Rockets.

Full game report here

www.gbbasketball.net
Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
la bomba
Local High School Star

that was a good win for GB. Slovenia were incredibly poor,as usual with the slovenes they are either brilliant or ****e. Smodis is the only guy that always performs.He is so important for them.I still think Slovenia will beat GB in the Euros.Spain walked over Lithuania.Again means nothing, they rolled over most teams last time round,including Russia and then lost in the finals against Russia.So we will see, but so far Spain look very superior to all the other teams.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: