Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Default Re: Spain will win the FIBA world cup this year..

Quote Originally Posted by gabepizza
    Yes Spain has a slight advantage down low (and I think it will be more Davis, who could neutralize Marc, and Faried then Cousins and Drummond) but US has a big advantage in the guard play and the wings. If Spain can slow the game up and make it a half court game they can win but if the US starts running (and Curry, Harden, Irving, etc..are hitting from outside) they'll be in trouble.
    Spain's game consists of running as well, they suffer in slow games, if they do so it's game over for them

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Spain's guards might not have the crazy vertical and dunking but they're just as good in horizontal speed.

Ricky, Rodriguez and Llull are very fast, and move pretty quickly defensively, likewise, Rudy Fernandez is also a quick player and will help in that regard specially when playing USA.

I mean sure, Navarro and Calderon will struggle but there's guards in Spain that can run, and run pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    In terms of talent, i'll still put USA a slight edge over Spain (Even after all those star players absences).

However, Spain's frontcourt is probably the best in the tournament (Gasol brothers and Ibaka_ + they have a very deadly backcourt (Rubio/Navarro amongst others). Their frontcourt plays into USA weakness of USA lack of size in the paint.

Also, it is Spain's home court, thus they have a MAJOR advantage if the refs want to side their way. In their world cup preparation games, these are the free throw discrepancies between Spain vs others:

Spain 27 FT-Canada 6 FT
    Spain 22-Angola 5
    Spain 21-Turkey 16
    Spain 9-Senegal 8
    Spain 42-Croatia 9

Remember this is Spain that were competing head to head with a USA squad laden with stars like Kobe/Durant/Lebron/Melo/CP3. Now less these guys, USA seems vulnerable. It's the young guns vs experience savvy Spain. Experience tends to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    if anyone has been watching Spain preparation games, which they won every single one, even ignoring the FT attempts you can easily tell they're a much better fit to win it this year, the play between bigs has been higlight reel after highlight reel. Add to that that team USA, whilst still being slightly better on paper, is noticeably worse than last time; I like Spain's chances, but it's just too early to tell really.

If Marc and Pau do what they've been doing these games (albeit in friendlies) thinking Cousins and Drummon are going to be doing anything other than chasing shadows is kind of rich.

I agree though, Davis will still be extremly hard to contend. But we also have Ibaka, mind.
    As long as Spain does not choke at home. They are historically chokers under pressure when playing at home.

Is that Spain vs Croatia FT disparity really true?? That seems like a fix.
    This coming from the CLOWN that claims anyone even suggesting a game might be fixed should be locked in a padded cell and put into a straight jacket.

GTFO ---------------------------------------------------------->

Yes Spain has a slight advantage down low (and I think it will be more Davis, who could neutralize Marc, and Faried then Cousins and Drummond) but US has a big advantage in the guard play and the wings. If Spain can slow the game up and make it a half court game they can win but if the US starts running (and Curry, Harden, Irving, etc..are hitting from outside) they'll be in trouble.

You mean if US starts FOULING and the refs let them get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by robert de niro
    Spain's game consists of running as well, they suffer in slow games, if they do so it's game over for them
    He's a troll. You haven't figured that out yet?

Spain can barely even beat teams like Great Britain in a slow down game.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 08-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    Spain's guards might not have the crazy vertical and dunking but they're just as good in horizontal speed.

Ricky, Rodriguez and Llull are very fast, and move pretty quickly defensively, likewise, Rudy Fernandez is also a quick player and will help in that regard specially when playing USA.

I mean sure, Navarro and Calderon will struggle but there's guards in Spain that can run, and run pretty good.
    Rubio is slow on defense against point guards. Rodriguez can't guard anyone. Llull is too slow to guard point guards, combo guards, and smaller quick two guards.

You are trolling now.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Jeff please stop with the trolling already

Bring Spain on. I'll take our frontcourt over theirs any day of the week, and their backcourt is utter shit compared to ours. Fernandez is the only one worth a damn, and he's infinitely less talented than any of our guards.

They want to get out and run? We'll maul them. They want to slow it down and look for shots? We'll rain 3's on them all day. They want to make the game about getting to the line? We've got some of the floppiest chuckers in the world, (lookin at you Harden) just dying to play that game.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Bring Spain on. I'll take our frontcourt over theirs any day of the week, and their backcourt is utter shit compared to ours. Fernandez is the only one worth a damn, and he's infinitely less talented than any of our guards.

They want to get out and run? We'll maul them. They want to slow it down and look for shots? We'll rain 3's on them all day. They want to make the game about getting to the line? We've got some of the floppiest chuckers in the world, (lookin at you Harden) just dying to play that game.
    I agree with most of that.

However, Spain's advantage with their front court is really about overall offensive skill. The Gasol brothers are much better passers among each other than any US front court player. They have better chemistry too, having played together since their Fiba Youth days.

So they've got a ton of experience and pride playing in front of their countrymen, and then you add Ibaka to the mix, and now you suddenly might have a formula to beat the US in a potential gold medal game.

Mind you, it will still be a minor upset if that happens, but it's certainly possible, and I haven't made up my mind, if this is the US' tournament to lose or not.

If the US pulls it off, I suspect it will expose Espana as a team with an old nucleus(Pau and Nav). That could be the US card to play.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Sadly they weren't fully healthy last olympics. With Rubio i honestly think they have a great shot at gold.

Euroleague still mad that Spain crushed Greece in 2006.

That's without Pau BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    Sadly they weren't fully healthy last olympics. With Rubio i honestly think they have a great shot at gold.
    If you watched last year's Eurobasket, Rubio struggled with team Spain. He had a couple of good games, then when it mattered, he got less playing time.

Rubio is such a liability in the half court offense with his shooting.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    Euroleague still mad that Spain crushed Greece in 2006.

That's without Pau BTW.
    I don't think Greece has ever beaten Spain in a meaningful game. Those Spanish NBA players are just head and shoulders better than Greeks.