Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Goldrush25
Local High School Star
 
Goldrush25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Before I graduated from college and got a job, I had all of these grandiose thoughts and dreams. I wanted to be a millionaire by the time I was 40. I think thoughts like that are not unusual if you've never made any money.

But now that I'm settled into my career, I've determined that I really don't need much more than what I have right now. As long as you aren't living paycheck to paycheck, you can afford to splurge on a trip to Vegas or Cancun, and you have enough cushion for any emergencies that may arise, I think that's all most people can ask for.

I don't have a traditional "boss" to answer to. I don't have to clock in. If I'm sick I just call in. If I want vacation time I request it and I get paid vacation (on vacation right now actually).

I look back to my very first job at Burger King 16 years ago and I compare it to my job today, and I realize how amazing I have it. If you have all of that kind of stuff you don't really need millions.

Nothing is perfect but I think the key to being satisfied is being content with good enough.

Last edited by Goldrush25 : 05-30-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Goldrush25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,335
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
The OP's question talks about being "satisfied". No one is really satisfied unless they're rich enough to be completely independent from further work income?

Here's "satisfied" for me.

9-5 daily job
flexible 2-3 days work from home
low-stress, manageable deadlines
35+ PTO/sick days per year + national holidays
top 30% salary for my geographic location


Yes, I'd love a billion to just drop into my bank account and retire, but it's not going to happen. If you're not born into wealth, you can either work like crazy to break into the top 10% of America's wealth, or take your time and enjoy life while you're young. If you happen to love something that will also make you tons of money then consider yourself lucky.
now we are just talking about the definition of "satisfied"

I was speaking of the amount of money needed in order to completely stop seeking out more money

I'm pretty sure that is what the OP was indenting as well...not just "oh, I'd be happy if I was making 100k a year"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman
 
InfiniteBaskets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
now we are just talking about the definition of "satisfied"

I was speaking of the amount of money needed in order to completely stop seeking out more money

I'm pretty sure that is what the OP was indenting as well...not just "oh, I'd be happy if I was making 100k a year"

I would've gotten the same idea if the OP was phrased "How much money do you need to HAVE before you feel satisfied" Earn makes it sound like having to work is an implied part of your response.

But there's some ambiguity there for sure.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
StocktonFan
Banned
 
StocktonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 781
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Household income for me is going to be near 160-170k.

Lifetime i would want 5M to be completely sold on financial stability.

I don't think it's ever going to happen unless i live in some shit city.
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,887
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

I'm pretty comfortable, sure I'd love to not have to work ever again and have millions lying around but realistically I make enough for me. I've bought my own house (still have a mortgage though), got a car that's only a year old and enough free cash to drop close to 10k on pinball machines this year already.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,241
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

I don't care about money as long as I'm happy. I won't be "satisfied" once I reach a certain dollar amount.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned
 
Eat Like A Bosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inside LeBron's head
Posts: 5,130
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

I honestly don't know. For the average person probably never, there's this disease of more. It's simply never enough.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
BuGzBuNNy
Good High School Starter
 
BuGzBuNNy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 993
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
If money, possessions and status are how you define your life and success, you will never be satisfied. There's always more to be had.

Spent the time from 25-40/45 as a serious Type A achiever, driven by financial goals. Burned through a couple marriages, along with countless relationships of all kinds.

Faced with a life changing health event, I realized I didn't have sh!t except enough money to pay out so I could continue the same pursuits.

Came out of the situation with a new outlook on life and a whole different set of priorities.

I have relatively good health, a wonderful girl, all the material things I really need, a career making a real difference in people's lives on a daily basis and, for the first time ever. contentment.

Define success, don't let it define you. It's an old cliche', but nobody ever laid on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working to get stuff.
Basically. Reading through the responses here makes me realize how much different I view life than the average person. My parents never pulled in anywhere near six-figure salaries combined but money or happiness were never problems.

wait, why'd you delete?
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,335
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
If money, possessions and status are how you define your life and success, you will never be satisfied. There's always more to be had.

Spent the time from 25-40/45 as a serious Type A achiever, driven by financial goals. Burned through a couple marriages, along with countless relationships of all kinds.

Faced with a life changing health event, I realized I didn't have sh!t except enough money to pay out so I could continue the same pursuits.

Came out of the situation with a new outlook on life and a whole different set of priorities.

I have relatively good health, a wonderful girl, all the material things I really need, a career making a real difference in people's lives on a daily basis and, for the first time ever. contentment.

Define success, don't let it define you. It's an old cliche', but nobody ever laid on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working to get stuff.

exactly...that is why true freedom only comes with extreme wealth

nobody ever wishes they worked 40 weeks their entire lives...even if you love your job you don't wish that, I love what I do but there are plenty of days I would rather be at the beach than behind a computer.

true freedom is being able to work on what you want, when you want, and how you want...and "IF" you want...and the only way that is obtained is through wealth.


even bums on the street are slaves to money...they sit on the corners all day begging for change so that they can eat...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,335
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Basically. Reading through the responses here makes me realize how much different I view life than the average person. My parents never pulled in anywhere near six-figure salaries combined but money or happiness were never problems.

wait, why'd you delete?
happiness is a different subject, a broke man can be "happy"

but I am sure your parents had financial issues of some sort along the way. They had to go to work every day rather than spend time with you right? In my eyes that is a problem.


The majority of this country is conditioned to think working 40 hours a week is freedom...but it isn't at all
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #26
BuGzBuNNy
Good High School Starter
 
BuGzBuNNy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 993
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
happiness is a different subject, a broke man can be "happy"

but I am sure your parents had financial issues of some sort along the way. They had to go to work every day rather than spend time with you right? In my eyes that is a problem.


The majority of this country is conditioned to think working 40 hours a week is freedom...but it isn't at all
Im sure the majority of people who know me think my parents are rich when the truth is that their parents probably have higher paying jobs than mine did. Most people are just terrible with money. I've always had everything I ever wanted whether it was the newest game system or now, a new truck and my own on campus apartment at school.

People think you have to have high paying jobs to live comfortably when its really about how responsible and greedy you are.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,775
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

im about 6 grand in the hole from student loans in my first year. id be hella happy if i could clear that out. no more loans for me
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,335
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Im sure the majority of people who know me think my parents are rich when the truth is that their parents probably have higher paying jobs than mine did. Most people are just terrible with money. I've always had everything I ever wanted whether it was the newest game system or now, a new truck and my own on campus apartment at school.

People think you have to have high paying jobs to live comfortably when its really about how responsible and greedy you are.
I agree with all of that...100%

I was just pointing out that having to get up every morning of your life and go to work in order to pay bills should be viewed as a "problem". Even if you love your job.

If your parents had extreme wealth then they would spend more time with family, or travel more, or charity work, or do whatever they want...if they love their job and want to keep doing it then they would do it on their time, not the time that their boss demands of them.

I'm not saying they were/are unhappy...I'm just saying they would love to have more money.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #29
BuGzBuNNy
Good High School Starter
 
BuGzBuNNy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 993
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I agree with all of that...100%

I was just pointing out that having to get up every morning of your life and go to work in order to pay bills should be viewed as a "problem". Even if you love your job.

If your parents had extreme wealth then they would spend more time with family, or travel more, or charity work, or do whatever they want...if they love their job and want to keep doing it then they would do it on their time, not the time that their boss demands of them.

I'm not saying they were/are unhappy...I'm just saying they would love to have more money.
I agree, this was kind of a theme in one of my classes. But unless you're talking about paycheck to paycheck(i think you are), I don't agree that working being a necessity is a problem. Its apart of who we are as humans, it would seem kind of like a radical deconstruction of what it means to be human otherwise.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,335
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I agree, this was kind of a theme in one of my classes. But unless you're talking about paycheck to paycheck(i think you are), I don't agree that working being a necessity is a problem. Its apart of who we are as humans, it would seem kind of like a radical deconstruction of what it means to be human otherwise.
In the grand scheme of humanity I guess it is not a problem, it is who we are...without people working hard everyday earning a paycheck, none of us would have much

but on a personal level I view it as a problem so to speak...

If I was extremely wealthy I would still be "working" but I would be working on my own personal projects rather than someone else's.

I certainly wouldn't just be sitting around on my ass all day...that would get boring quick, but instead of sitting behind a computer 40 hours a week it would be more like 20 hours a week...because there is nothing natural about working behind a computer.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy