Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
lilojmayo
TP23

Thumbs down Derrick Rose's In Game Athletism is So Overrated.

I'm not talking about Rose's HS days/ off the court athletism. We have all seen the YouTubes it's crazy, but so are most players that were in the NBA.

While Players like Eric Gordon, Russell Westbrook, even O.J. Mayo have had some nice dunks. A player who hasn't is Derrick Rose.

The way you guys talk about him you would think he was the next coming of Steve Francis in terms of athletism. I don't have the Dunk count but Derrick Rose hasn't dunked more than 17 times this season. None of his dunks have been impressive. I classify a dunk as impressive if I can't do it. All Rose's dunks he does are simple dunks for anybody who can Dunk.

He just does normal dunks. His speed is overrated as well. He is explosive, but when it comes to speed there is no way he is the fastest in the NBA. I'm not even convinced he could beat OJ Mayo in a 100 m sprint.

Does anybody else feel this way about Derrick Rose in game Athletism or is it just me.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Derrick Rose's In Game Athletism is So Overrated.

I think he is very athletic. He isn't insanely athletic like some players, but he is fast, strong, long and can jump. There isn't a lot of point gaurds that have all those things.

Dunks are overrated a bit or maybe a way bit. He isn't wasting energy by doing a flashy dunk. I would think that is a smart play.

Another thing, it's pretty clear you have an agenda against D-Rose. You are a huge OJ Mayo fan and think less of every other rookie besides Mayo for the most part. Don't deny it, we know this.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
marcus007
I usually hit open layups

You're threatened by Rose because you're addicted and obsessed with mayo and since they're in the same draft class you will try to convince every1 that Maye>Rose which to me is total BS.
marcus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Interminator
Banned

Shut the **** up you clown.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
I'm not talking about Rose's HS days/ off the court athletism. We have all seen the YouTubes it's crazy, but so are most players that were in the NBA.

While Players like Eric Gordon, Russell Westbrook, even O.J. Mayo have had some nice dunks. A player who hasn't is Derrick Rose.

The way you guys talk about him you would think he was the next coming of Steve Francis in terms of athletism. I don't have the Dunk count but Derrick Rose hasn't dunked more than 17 times this season. None of his dunks have been impressive. I classify a dunk as impressive if I can't do it. All Rose's dunks he does are simple dunks for anybody who can Dunk.

He just does normal dunks. His speed is overrated as well.He is explosive, but when it comes to speed there is no way he is the fastest in the NBA. I'm not even convinced he could beat OJ Mayo in a 100 m sprint.

Does anybody else feel this way about Derrick Rose in game Athletism or is it just me.

Why would that be an issue anyway he's not competing for speed with Mayo?

Chill it's not all about dunks. I don't know about you but I've seen a few great dunks by Rose and I'm sure he will improve through the years, but is that really a big deal? To me it's a non issue, since he's a great finisher driving to the hoop with creative layups since he's so elusive once with the ball. I totally disagree with you with his speed, he's blazing fast at times.
Crazy Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Shut the **** up you clown.

Exactly!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

the fact that Tony Parker and CP3 can't dunk must make them overrated as well.
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP

I guess so! Rose has been a solid dunker and is capable of throwing it down with authority!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
steve

Quote:
Hey now, Paul can dunk.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
He said Rose's athleticism is overrated not Rose as a player.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Should be interesting to see him in the All-Star Skills Challenge and in the Rookie/Sophmore game. I'd like to see Rose in next years dunk contest because he's sure capable of doing well.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Smokee
Banned

I agree people exaggerate his athleticism here but it doesn't help that Wade said Rose was more athletic than he was I don't believe that either from watching them both.

Rose is really good at footwork imo. He knows how to take those hop, steps, and jumps. He's quick too but not nearly as quick and athletic as a lot of Bulls fans hype him up to be.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Derrick Rose is so freaking quick its not even funny
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

He just does normal dunks. His speed is overrated as well. He is explosive, but when it comes to speed there is no way he is the fastest in the NBA. I'm not even convinced he could beat OJ Mayo in a 100 m sprint.

what a stupid way to judge a player. who cares if he doesnt showboat? Ive seen too many fancy ducks fail to care how its done as long as it counts
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Biddy77
Keyless' gimmick acct

horrible post.

judging someone's in-game athletecism by the number of impressive dunks they've had is about as stupid as it gets. there are a lot of guys who just don't go out of their way to do "nice" dunks, despite being fully capable.

a long time ago, i asked chris mullin if he could dunk two handed. i was 14 at the time, so... forgive me for asking. anyways... he walked over to the basket, laughing the whole way, stopped, and took a zero-step vertical to do a 2handed reverse dunk.

then he said "when you get 3 points for those, i'll start trying to do them more in games."

and it's not just 3-bombers who are downplaying 'nice' dunks. i'm a big Brandon Roy fan, and i've seen people (like you, lilojmayo) repeatedly making statements like "Roy isn't a good enough athlete to be a dominant player", etc... despite his vertical measuring at 41" before the draft. the guy spends most of his career doing layups instead of dunks, so people *assume* he isn't capable of dropping the hammer on someone...until he posterizes a center. now he's suddenly validated?

it's the same with Rose. we've all seen him do things where you come away going "holy crap!"--whether it's a layup, a driving dunk, etc--because he makes it look so *easy*. that's the way a lot of guys demonstrate their athletecism... they make things look effortless instead of putting out a huge effort to get a poster.
Biddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: