Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Efunk7
Serious playground baller

Default Re: russel westbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
it is not important but bayless is closer to 170 than to 200 and westbook is closer to 6-5 than 6-3

is there going to be a time where all of these prospects are measured and wieghed together?- many people will be suprised if they think either mayo or bayless will measure out bigger than listed- is this all taking place at the orlando pre draft camp? i sure wish the nba did an nfl combine like televised couple days for us to be able to see all the guys do some different things- am i right that none of the top 20 guys do anything other than height/weight

like i said this size thing isnt an issue- i just wonder where the idea of this big strong bayless has come from-

off topic a little, i still believe stephan curry had a place in this draft- i feel like he made a better 14-23 pick in this years draft than he might fit a top 10 pick next year

like monthh said bayless is very physical going to the hoop; i don't see where you get the idea that he could be anywhere close to 170 lbs - if he weighed that little at 6'3" he would look as skinny as collison...monthh's assessment of their comparatove size is quite accurate...bayless def put on more bulk since highschool, whle westbrook is longer and leaner...it's kind of a silly discussion, but i def stand by my height/weight assessments of the 2 players...i need to find some good pics and put them side by side cuz i'm thoroughly confused as to how you could think bayless is actually close to 170 lbs...
Efunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
monthh
Local High School Star

My top 10:
1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Bayless
4. Mayo
5. Batum
6. Lopez
7. Gallinari
8. Gordon
9. Westbrook
10. Koufus

I find it really hard to sort out between 7 on because I still like Love, Arthur, CDR, and even Jordan and think they should get some mention.

I've said it before and I will say it again that this is a draft of role players. After the top 2 I don't think anyone is going to be a franchise type of player. I think the top 6 could be boarderline all-star types. After that I see guys that would fit on some teams, but would not work well on others.

I don't think there is a set top 5 at all though. Of course the lottery will change things, but I think Gallinari, Gordon, or maybe even Randolph or Jordan could move up. Gallinari is a very good prospect. Gordon looked like a good choice for #3 at one point before the whole sampson thing went down. I would not be surprised if a team fell in love with his whole potential. And teams of course love athletic big men. Yi, Tyrus Thomas, Patrick O'Bryant, and Andrew Bynum are recent examples of guys who moved up quickly before the draft despite lack of talent when they were drafted (not so much the case with Yi, but still a bit raw).

As for trades, I think Melo could be moved, I also think the Pacers will look to make some moves. Perhaps a Melo for Tinsley and Dunleavy deal would work for both teams with some picks and fillers thrown in?

I also think Josh Howard could be a guy that could be part of a big move. Maybe Milwaukee or Knicks may try to make a move for him in an effort to improve quickly. These are of course just ideas in my head.

For some reason I see the Clippers trying to stick with the LA connection and try to either draft or trade up to get Mayo.

It should be a pretty good draft in terms of excitment. A lot of teams are either trying to move from playoff teams to championship contenders or from lottery teams to playoff teams. I think the turnaround of the Celtics and Hornets give teams hope to turn things around quickly.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #18
ScottStuart
Kids at the park dunk on me

Bayless is pretty strong and is a really good defensive player. I've been watching the kid since he was a freshman in HS and have even played against him and his defense is very underrated. You probably don't notice that because he was U of A's #1 offensive option but there's no reason to question his strength. He's a very strong player with a solid build.

I don't see how you could say Bayless is 170, He's pushing 200 easily

Last edited by ScottStuart : 05-18-2008 at 01:15 AM.
ScottStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

I honestly don't consider any of the three main guys being discussed as future PG's. To me the only reason that these guys even get mentioned as PG's is because they are all clearly 6'5" or shorter with good handle and have decent passing skills.

Seems as though any time you get those three traits NBA types will ignore the obvious and try to make the player become a PG.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I honestly don't consider any of the three main guys being discussed as future PG's. To me the only reason that these guys even get mentioned as PG's is because they are all clearly 6'5" or shorter with good handle and have decent passing skills.

Seems as though any time you get those three traits NBA types will ignore the obvious and try to make the player become a PG.

I agree, but since you nowadays have guys like Tony Parker - a player who is far a way from a pure pg - playing so well, I don't blame people for considering Westbrook, Bayless et al as potential "pg's" in the NBA.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #21
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
I agree, but since you nowadays have guys like Tony Parker - a player who is far a way from a pure pg - playing so well, I don't blame people for considering Westbrook, Bayless et al as potential "pg's" in the NBA.
I don't see how Parker is far from a "pure PG" but I do understand the point you trying to get across.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #22
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I don't see how Parker is far from a "pure PG" but I do understand the point you trying to get across.

He doesn't do that much playmaking, he is an average passer etc, but still a great player and plays the position.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #23
monthh
Local High School Star

I think it is pretty clear in this years playoffs that individual talent means nothing. We pick apart all this stuff, but when it comes down to winning playoff games (which is the goal in the NBA) making plays is all that matters. You need to have a team that fits together and works together. That is why a team like the Spurs will draft whoever they want in the 1st round. They just want a guy that will do something to help the team. Bayless on the right team could score 15 to 20 points, 5 to 8 assists, and hit big threes in playoff games. Mayo could be a great 2nd option like Manu who is just asked to score the ball. Westbrook could be a shutdown defender that we are talking about stopping Chris Paul as his team wins a series against the Hornets.

I'm not trying to downplay everything else we look at, but saying Bayless or Westbrook won't be this or that is really not all that important. The more important thing is how well they shoot, how well they defend, how well they pass the ball, how often they turn the ball over, and how well they gel with their teammates.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: