Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Default A few workout videos I shot for my players

I've been working with some basketball players but I may get a coaching job soon so I won't be able to coach in the off-season any more. I made a few videos to give them some homework until the season starts up. I know they are not very good but I thought I would share

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../2/3S0ng4RfJno

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../1/ngNpDcz9Mlk

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909#p/u/3/wuJq4licZo8

This one is not really for them, just playing around

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../0/WKpqEKF4JmQ
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
RandyOrton
OKC

Default Re: A few workout videos I shot for my players

solid stuff man
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I've been working with some basketball players but I may get a coaching job soon so I won't be able to coach in the off-season any more. I made a few videos to give them some homework until the season starts up. I know they are not very good but I thought I would share

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../2/3S0ng4RfJno

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../1/ngNpDcz9Mlk

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909#p/u/3/wuJq4licZo8

This one is not really for them, just playing around

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmorr909.../0/WKpqEKF4JmQ

Very good 2 ball dribbler. But you seem to lack a little bit of fludity for some reason with one ball, when you did the jamal crawford move, which is weird because you dribble two balls so well.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
pauk
NBA Legend

i never believed in standstill dribble drills... it never helped me INGAME... but it helped me look like a globetrotter when alone...

the best workout that helped my ballhandling was doing all kindof handling drills ON THE MOVE.... on the break.. in trafic... in transition... running fast.. hesitating.. changing directions.... jumping... whatever... while doing all these drills..... preferably with a live pesky fullcourt press defender aswell who is glued to you all the time and pushing/fouling you just a lil bit (literally).....

that will improve your ballhandling.... this is simply because it simulates real game situations....

my coach said it best:

"great ballhandling is not just about how good you can dribble a ball... but mostly how well you can secure it against all odds"

one thing that you cant teach also is BASKETBALL IQ.... that is a HUGE factor for ballhandling.......... simply because that will allow you to anticipate how the defense retaliates to your moves so you can retaliate back without turning the ball over.... to avoid putting yourself in risky positions where you can turn the ball over or lose the handle or whatever...

Last edited by pauk : 08-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
i never believed in standstill dribble drills... it never helped me INGAME... but it helped me look like a globetrotter when alone...

the best workout that helped my ballhandling was doing all kindof handling drills ON THE MOVE.... on the break.. in trafic... in transition... running fast.. hesitating.. changing directions.... jumping... whatever... while doing all these drills..... preferably with a live pesky fullcourt press defender aswell who is glued to you all the time and pushing/fouling you just a lil bit (literally).....

that will improve your ballhandling.... this is simply because it simulates real game situations....

my coach said it best:

"great ballhandling is not just about how good you can dribble a ball... but mostly how well you can secure it against all odds"

one thing that you cant teach also is BASKETBALL IQ.... that is a HUGE factor for ballhandling.......... simply because that will allow you to anticipate how the defense retaliates to your moves so you can retaliate back without turning the ball over.... to avoid putting yourself in risky positions where you can turn the ball over or lose the handle or whatever...

I agree with this. I do think standstill dribbling drills might help a bit... mostly just being able to control a ball well when dribbling low... I do think 2 dribble drills might help your mental because you are having to do 2 things at once... focus on 2 things really so it may help there, but I'm with you the best practice is in game situations. Most of good ball handling is experience... knowing what moves to do at what time and how defenses will react like you said. I seriously doubt many NBA players waste time doing that kind of stuff... doing stuff without a defender without simulating a defender just isn't practicing for the real thing. It's like a soccer player juggling the ball... yea it looks cool when they can do it really well, but it's not pracitical. there are so many better things you can spend your time practicing if you want to get better the game itself. however, most of us just play bball for fun so you can do whatever you want.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
01amberfirewv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
Very good 2 ball dribbler. But you seem to lack a little bit of fludity for some reason with one ball, when you did the jamal crawford move, which is weird because you dribble two balls so well.

I do look pretty tight in that clip probably due to bad video taping and it was shot after a pretty hard leg workout. That's become one of my favorite moves to do in a game. It seems to be pretty deceptive.

Quote:

my coach said it best:

I agree with this to a point but I do think these types of drills help in game. These are basketball homework drills for my players who don't have much room to train. Once we get to practice they will be progressed to half and full court drills. Most of the drills above can be done while moving.

I have never played organized basketball and do not have a very high basketball IQ. Because of this I do tend to put myself in bad situations but rarely if ever lose the ball.

I need to shoot a few of the tennis ball drills as well. Those help keep the players off the ball and give them the ability to do something else while dribbling.

As said above doing drills like dribbling two balls does give you more control of your body while dribbling.

Last edited by 01amberfirewv : 08-24-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Great!! You are being an example and I hope those kids watch.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
OmniStrife
College superstar

Quote:

my coach said it best:

Steve Nash actually said this in one of his vids, he had a great drill;
He was doing dribble moves in a confined circle.

Works on your handles and your balance by moving and dribbling while trying to stay inside the circle.
OmniStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
01amberfirewv

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniStrife
Steve Nash actually said this in one of his vids, he had a great drill;
He was doing dribble moves in a confined circle.

Works on your handles and your balance by moving and dribbling while trying to stay inside the circle.

Pistol Pete used to spend hours in the center circle just working on moves
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: