Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
CKEINB
Saw a basketball once

Default How to drive and dish?

I was wondering to all you PG's that drive in the lane, draw in defenders, and then dish the ball out, how do you do it? I've been trying to distribute the ball more lately by driving and dishing but I've had more turnovers than assists doing this. How do you anticipate defenders who will cut you off? Do you drive in hoping to draw in a specific defender? There has to be a better way than trying to see the defender coming after ur in the lane and making the pass a split second later. I know it should be as easy as passing to the open man but I find it so hard to keep track of 4 teammates and 5 defenders all while driving hard. Specific insight would be appreciated.
CKEINB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
cgunther20
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: How to drive and dish?

This will be a really be basic but how i do it is, if u want to dish to a post drive to the opposite side of the key and then BOUNCE Pass when the defender on the post pulls off, Depending on the situation, you may have to put a little spin on the ball to get it around the defender. But the key is a quick bounce pass, hard for the defenders to get a handle on.
cgunther20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
lil_watz
Not airballing my layups anymore

First thing first you need to be a threat. Realistically speaking since you are the man with the ball you are the most dangerous, only you can score, however, you need to be that scoring threat. Drive to the lane early a few times and make the layup, or atleast put up a layup that has a chance at going in. This way the defense will be sure you are going to try and score any time you can. After getting the defenses attention then you should be able to drive and dish. But it is not all up to you, your team needs to move without the ball. Let's assume you are playing with a normal setup, two post players a small forward and two gaurds. For you to drive and dish the post players aren't going to be able to be in the lane, atleast not both of them at the same time. If you try to drive with two big men in there the lane will be packed and three people will converge on you all the while gaurding their players. Get one of the big men to the high post then drive. Also you need for your gaurds to move. If you are on the top of the key with the 4 man on the high post, the 3 man of the left wing, the 5 man under the bucket, and your 2 man on the right wing you should easily be able to drive and dish. You take off towards the bucket, possibly getting a pick from the 4 man on the high post you can expect the 4 man to role and dish there. Or you can continue to drive and pull the 5 mans defender and pass to him. Or you have the option to dish the ball out to the 3 or 2 man, depending on what side you drive on. If you drive down the lane near the 2 gaurds defender they will likely turn their head or moe to try and help defense. This is where your 2 gaurd needs to move. As soon as you start to drive he should slide with you. The farthur towards the bucket you get the closer to the baseline he should get. This allows you to make a pass out instead of backwards. You can be the best driver and the best passer but if your teammates dont move it will be hard for you to get any assists. The best thing you can do is to just keep driving and getting the respect of the defenders. Keep it up though because it will open many scoring or passing oppurtunities. And have confidence in yourself, you should be able to make a pass assuming you teammate will be in that spot. Watch Steve Nash and Marion sometime on the pick and role. Nash will recieve the pick and pass the ball at times before Marion even turns, but when he does the ball is right there and the lane is open.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
cgunther20
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_watz
First thing first you need to be a threat. Realistically speaking since you are the man with the ball you are the most dangerous, only you can score, however, you need to be that scoring threat. Drive to the lane early a few times and make the layup, or atleast put up a layup that has a chance at going in. This way the defense will be sure you are going to try and score any time you can. After getting the defenses attention then you should be able to drive and dish. But it is not all up to you, your team needs to move without the ball. Let's assume you are playing with a normal setup, two post players a small forward and two gaurds. For you to drive and dish the post players aren't going to be able to be in the lane, atleast not both of them at the same time. If you try to drive with two big men in there the lane will be packed and three people will converge on you all the while gaurding their players. Get one of the big men to the high post then drive. Also you need for your gaurds to move. If you are on the top of the key with the 4 man on the high post, the 3 man of the left wing, the 5 man under the bucket, and your 2 man on the right wing you should easily be able to drive and dish. You take off towards the bucket, possibly getting a pick from the 4 man on the high post you can expect the 4 man to role and dish there. Or you can continue to drive and pull the 5 mans defender and pass to him. Or you have the option to dish the ball out to the 3 or 2 man, depending on what side you drive on. If you drive down the lane near the 2 gaurds defender they will likely turn their head or moe to try and help defense. This is where your 2 gaurd needs to move. As soon as you start to drive he should slide with you. The farthur towards the bucket you get the closer to the baseline he should get. This allows you to make a pass out instead of backwards. You can be the best driver and the best passer but if your teammates dont move it will be hard for you to get any assists. The best thing you can do is to just keep driving and getting the respect of the defenders. Keep it up though because it will open many scoring or passing oppurtunities. And have confidence in yourself, you should be able to make a pass assuming you teammate will be in that spot. Watch Steve Nash and Marion sometime on the pick and role. Nash will recieve the pick and pass the ball at times before Marion even turns, but when he does the ball is right there and the lane is open.

Pretty much its just experience and figuring out what works best for you because you have your own strengths, weaknesses, and instincts while playing . am I right lil_watz? Just keep playing.
cgunther20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
lil_watz

For sure. The more you play and the more you drive and dish the more you will learn. And don't be discouraged if you turn the ball over or make a bad pass, just learn from it and try again.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
i cant dunk
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

well when i drive and pass out my first intention is to score if i see its jamed in the middle i pass it out. Maybe when you drive the defender can tell you are going to dish it out, you need to make the defender buy your fake drive and while your driving if you see you can lay it in throw it up there.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
pelle
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by i cant dunk
well when i drive and pass out my first intention is to score if i see its jamed in the middle i pass it out. Maybe when you drive the defender can tell you are going to dish it out, you need to make the defender buy your fake drive and while your driving if you see you can lay it in throw it up there.
yea i do that same thing. if the layup is there i take it, and if it isnt thats 3 points
pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

keep your head up and know where your teammates are at all times. be confident in every decision you make. dont doubt yourself. use the hopstep in the lane to create space. a spin in the lane is good too. get good with both hands. most important : be able to finish.. this will draw defenders to you more which creates more space for you to dish to your teammates.

its very difficult to be a great PG.. pride yourself on setting the example on both offense and defense.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
holabuster

One useful move that I've observed NBA point guards (Chris Paul) doing a lot that I never noticed before:

When you plan on doing a drive and dish with your guard on the wing, once you get the 2's defender's attention and he starts to double you, leap and make the pass and when you land, position yourself in between your teammate and his defender. This way, you set a screen and set up an open shot at the same time, and usually, your own defender will not be ready to make the switch.
holabuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
B-Baller14

Well, I have been a point guard for quite awhile. One move you can use is drive into either lane until the wings guy stops you. Once he does, don't pick up your dribble. Use a couple of back dribbles to create some space and have the wing go back door. Works pretty well. Your teamates need to move without the ball though.
B-Baller14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Listen to Watz. You have to establish yourself as a threat before the second defender will respect you enough to leave their man and cover you. Try to beat your man for layups the first few opportunities you have. Even some driving, then pulling up for a jump shot if you have it. Once you get the respect of the defense, you'll see open passing lanes leading to easy jumpshots. But if you try to force a drive and dish, easy turnover.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: