Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bill Simmons's All-Time team

On twitter, he just posted his team, and I posted my response:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
    1992 MJ, 1986 Bird, 1985 Magic and 2013 LeBron... I don't even care who my center is, I'm beating any 5 guys you throw at me.

Awet M ‏@thanatologist
    @BillSimmons I'll give you 77 Walton and beat you with: 15 Curry 03 Bryant 14 Durant 03 Duncan and 64 Russell
    3:49 PM - 17 Aug 2015

Discuss. Object. Refute. Complain. Troll. You pick.
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 08-17-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspelled Simmons' name AND the image doesn't show up on mobile devices.

Banned

Default Re: Bill Simmons's All-Time team

Fail.

nice pic, f*g

edit: lol, he actually gave a reason for editing
    Last edited by Trollsmasher; 08-17-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: reason for editing

He said:

1992 MJ, 1986 Bird, 1985 Magic and 2013 LeBron... I don't even care who my center is, I'm beating any 5 guys you throw at me.
    And then right after that:

(I meant: give me 1962 Russell, 1977 Walton, 2000 Shaq, 1994 Hakeem, 1972 Kareem... any great center works if I have those other 4.)
    No 67 Wilt. What a joker this guy is. He has serious hatred for Wilt, because he knows Wilt was better than Russell.

Banned

Odd to leave out Wilt and include Russell. Only way I leave out either is if I am excluding their earlier era.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    No 67 Wilt. What a joker this guy is. He has serious hatred for Wilt, because he knows Wilt was better than Russell.
    I would pick 67 Wilt if my other guys were incredible jump shooters with consistency and range, like Andrew Toney, Kevin Durant, and Steph Curry... oh wait.

There's simply no way any version of Russell was better than Wilt in 67.

24/24/7.8 assists on 68.3% for 68 wins and 5 game demolition of the Celtics. Simmons must have blocked that season out of his memory.

Arguably the greatest season of all time, but MJ would be in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    There's simply no way any version of Russell was better than Wilt in 67.

24/24/7.8 assists on 68.3% for 68 wins and 5 game demolition of the Celtics. Simmons must have blocked that season out of his memory.

Arguably the greatest season of all time, but MJ would be in the conversation.
    No doubt, but I was thinking of a team that would beat the BS team.

My team would be geared more towards the open space of the 21st century, whereas BS would be closer to the golden age of the 80s' style.

If Curry can stroke it from 30 feet, that pulls whoever his defender away from the others, freeing up Kobe and KD to run horns off picks. Russell and Duncan were excellent passers from the interior, feeding those two excellent scorers. Duncan could post up anyone, and would overpower LBJ in the post.

1972 Kareem
    This is not even one of KAJ's top 3 seasons.

71, 74, 76, 77 are clearly better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    No doubt, but I was thinking of a team that would beat the BS team.

My team would be geared more towards the open space of the 21st century, whereas BS would be closer to the golden age of the 80s' style.

If Curry can stroke it from 30 feet, that pulls whoever his defender away from the others, freeing up Kobe and KD to run horns off picks. Russell and Duncan were excellent passers from the interior, feeding those two excellent scorers. Duncan could post up anyone, and would overpower LBJ in the post.
    Got it.

I do wonder about the 3pt and spacing advantage today. How would an great 80s team adjust to a team like this year's Warriors? They would be caught off guard at first by all the threes.

I was still in knee jerk reaction mode. You don't start listing off all-time great seasons by bigs starting with Russell, and conveniently skip over Wilt, unless you're a Boston homer.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

no surprise here really

he's so openly bias I'm surprised he didn't pick ainge, DJ, Bird, McHale and Parrish

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    This is not even one of KAJ's top 3 seasons.

71, 74, 76, 77 are clearly better IMO.
    the year he played all 82 games and missed the playoffs with sub .500 record..

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Wait this guy is suppose to really know basketball and no Wilt. F*ck this guy. 1967 Wilt trumps his choices. You can pick any of Wilts 14 seasons and you are set. He would probably pick Kendrick Perkins over Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    no surprise here really

he's so openly bias I'm surprised he didn't pick ainge, DJ, Bird, McHale and Parrish

Yeah, but why not replace Parish with Russell and DJ with Sam Jones?

Local High School Star

Any of the 80's champions would clobber this year's Warriors and it really wouldn't be that close, either playing by REAL basketball rules like the ones they had back then or the soft video game style they have today!

You say teams from the 80's would be shocked at all the 3 pointers from the Warriors?!? Try the Warriors and ANY of the present top teams would cream their shorts facing squads with 5 to 6 all-star caliber players, all time inside play, great fast break attack, impeccable mid range game, solid physical defense, and yes folks, they could also shoot 3 pointers!!!

The gimmicky style the Warriors have works wonders in today's league were EVERYBODY plays the same and the inside game is all but extinct so it doesn't matter if they have a bad shooting night from 3 because more than likely the other team is gonna be launching three pointers at the other end as well to bail them out.

Would love to see them try that crap against well oiled machines like the 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, 89 Pistons or 83 Sixers! Under ANY rules they're getting CRUSHED!