Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Smart/Randle/Vonleh/McDermott

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Even so...things could go any way.

Anyway, why not Aaron Gordon? I fail to see why anyone would take the 6'8 unathletic white guy. Hoping he's the new Peja Unlikely
    McDermott?

Aaron Gordon is slotted to go before him in almost every single mock

I don't know much about these guys. I'm just looking at ages really. He's 18 and a great athlete. You hope he ends up somewhere with good coaches....otherwise he'll just end up another scrub.

Once they're not getting Embid or Wiggins, Lakers should just trade the pick and along with Paul in a sign and trade for Kevin Love.
    So you'd trade the #3 pick if Embiid/Wiggins are off the board, if Parker and Exum are still there?

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    So you'd trade the #3 pick if Embiid/Wiggins are off the board, if Parker and Exum are still there?
    I've watched Exum, I don't know what to make of him. Seems like a nice kid, but tbh, the skill level just isn't there.

Parker will never be as good a player as Kevin Love imo. I like him, but he seems thoroughly unathletic. I guess you could hope he becomes Paul Pierce or something, but I doubt it.

I've watched Exum, I don't know what to make of him. Seems like a nice kid, but tbh, the skill level just isn't there.

Parker will never be as good a player as Kevin Love imo. I like him, but he seems thoroughly unathletic. I guess you could hope he becomes Paul Pierce or something, but I doubt it.
    I'm worried about Love, now that these other teams are being mentioned in the rumors...

We've heard (in addition to LA), Golden State, Boston, Chicago, Knicks, and even Phoenix.

I would go:

Noah Vonleh: With his size, range, and expanding offensive ability, he would be a nice piece to add to the Lake Show. He could help on the defensive end. I just worry about his confidence. He struggled at Indiana being the #2 option.

McDermott: Folks are overreacting to limited combine showing and dropping his draft value. All I have to say is, don't sleep on the next Chris Mullins. This cat has a high basketball IQ an at the next level, that is a huge plus.

Randle: Randle reminds me of a Zach Randolph type of player with more athletic ability. He has a lot of potential.

Smart: No need to worry about his confidence, just worry about shot selection. He has the potential to be a really good player, like all the rest. Could be a sleeper pick.

Almost all of them would be better for him too, but I think he will come to the Lakers and I think the Lakers can offer as appealing a deal as any.

Almost all of them would be better for him too, but I think he will come to the Lakers and I think the Lakers can offer as appealing a deal as any.
    So you think they'd go for a pick + Gasol (in a sign and trade)? Just at the 3, or even if it's 6th-9th?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    Talent/potential
    Fit for the lakers

1. Vonleh
    2. Smart
    3. Randle
    4. McDermott.
    Exactly the way I see it. I also like Chocolate Thunder's post above.

Smart is the hardest to really say - He could be a star or tweener that starts and only have burst of good games. McDermott is a nice fit for a team with three other solid pieces already in line.

So you think they'd go for a pick + Gasol (in a sign and trade)? Just at the 3, or even if it's 6th-9th?
    Yup, alot of the moves they've made have been about building an international brand and I think they're one of the few teams in the league who will be willing to take on Pau for a couple years.

Other teams like Chicago and Golden State could put together decent packages too, but not as marketbale players.

Very good NBA starter

In case we don't move up in the draft or trade the pick, we're gonna be picking between these four dudes. Anybody who's watched a lot of the four of them care to compare them? How would you rank them 1-4 if you're the Lakers FO?
    I've always found the best way to draft in the lottery is to go BPA. That being said you also draft for how that player's game will translate to the league, not what they did in college. Lakers have tons of holes to fill, but I think Smart is probably the best choice here. It's a perimeter league now and Kobe will handle the ball so much that they don't need Smart to be a true PG. Vonleh seems like a guy that's too much of a project, Mcdermott sounds like a tweener, great pick later on but not a lottery pick and Randle from everything I've read could be limited by his lack of athleticism

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    McDermott: Folks are overreacting to limited combine showing and dropping his draft value. All I have to say is, don't sleep on the next Chris Mullins. This cat has a high basketball IQ an at the next level, that is a huge plus.
    What are you talking about? Who is dropping him because of his combine testing? Anything I've read has been extremely positive about his athletic testing. I know it definitely changed my perception of him in a positive way. Still, not sure he's a top 10 pick. You tend to need to get a player with All-Star potential there, and I see McDermott as more of a Kyle Korver/Mike Miller type. I would take him with no hesitation at the end of the lottery and in the mid-first round, but I'd be nervous taking him in the top 10. Don't think he'll be a bust and flame out but I'm not sure he'll live up to what you want a top 10 pick to be.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    What are you talking about? Who is dropping him because of his combine testing? Anything I've read has been extremely positive about his athletic testing. I know it definitely changed my perception of him in a positive way. Still, not sure he's a top 10 pick. You tend to need to get a player with All-Star potential there, and I see McDermott as more of a Kyle Korver/Mike Miller type. I would take him with no hesitation at the end of the lottery and in the mid-first round, but I'd be nervous taking him in the top 10. Don't think he'll be a bust and flame out but I'm not sure he'll live up to what you want a top 10 pick to be.
    Exactly. His stock went way up with his very and agility skills. He didn't shoot because everyone already knows he's a shooter. No need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Marcus Smart. No question.

"Marcus Smart's lane agility time of 10.82 is faster than John Wall (10.84), Russell Westbrook (10.98) and Chris Paul (11.09) Smart is a going to be a beast in the league. A 6'4 225 lb pg that runs just as fast as the small 200 lb pg's. He's going to be a matchup nightmare especially driving in the lane."

mother of god.
    its also slower than carlos boozer and francisco garcia

those athletic tests at the combine are pretty close to pointless imo

id take vonleh

he has great tools, and even if he doesnt pan out as an offensive force, hes already a great rebounder (the best rebounder in the draft on a per minute basis), and seems to have a great motor.

so at best you have an all star, with motor on the boards who can shoot from the outside. at worst you have a garbage man who can clean up on the glass, and play good defense.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I don't know how anyone can watch Smart and not think he will be a good starter.

He brings almost everything you want from a basketball player, without focusing on a specific position. He actually reminds me a little bit of Lance Stephenson, except trade "swag" with "leadership". Along the lines of what typically goes with those terms: Lance talks trash, passes with flair, and holds the wrist up when he *knows* his jumper is going in, while Smart plays mental games, dives for loose balls, and gets in the faces of his teammates.

I doubt he will be someone you build around, but I bet his value will be untouchable to any team he ends up on.

Vonleh still reminds me of Marvin Williams with a better motor. That's not a bad thing at all.

imo, Randle is the second or third safest pick in this draft of the top 2 tier players (behind Parker and maybe Smart). I can see 16/10 for a long time. Still needs to improve his offensive game, tho, and I'm not entirely convinced he can overpower NBA players like he did in high school and college. I also can't stand his on the court demeanor. He comes across as a real asshole, like DMC bad.

Didn't watch much of McDermott last season and stats can't be denied. You are talking about 55/45/80+ with very high usage over a 4 year career. I don't care if he's facing the YMCA rec league team every game, that's incredible.

I still come back to when he plays NBA bigs, he doesn't look all that good. Austin and Jefferson made McDermott look average. He was terrible against Kelly (on your Lakers team) and Plumlee. Average against Henson and Zeller. I think he carves a nice niche. Not sure how he defends NBA 3's or 4's, pretty sure he will have a difficult time finishing over NBA trees, and that makes him into a one dribble pull up/spot up 3pt player, imo.