Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #676
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018 off-season

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/17/uta...ilestone-next/

Quote:
If Favors stays beyond next season, he will likely pass Rickey Green and Bryon Russell and move into eighth all-time in games played. He’s not a legend league-wide, but he’s a legend in Utah and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the number 15 jersey hanging up in the rafters one day.

I wouldn't be surprised either and it would be a joke like most of them up there
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #677
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/18/3-r...ith-the-nba/3/

Quote:
The Utah Jazz internal development system is unquestionably one of the league’s best right now.

I think there's a big question there. Players that want to work get better.

Quote:
What is your favorite move Dennis has made since joining the Jazz? It has to be trading for Donovan on draft night, right?

Exum!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #678
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Scout’s Take [on Rodney Hood’s free agency]: “Cleveland can get him for a song and dance at this point. I don’t think anyone else wants him, which is surprising because I really liked him in Utah. Utah just let him fly. I was impressed with how he came back in the Finals as an ‘I’ll show you’ game. I always liked him. He’ll be good in Cleveland because Cleveland’s going to be bad, and they’ll need his scoring. Who else are they going to go to? He’ll get quality minutes on that roster. How could he not? I’m not sure how tough he is, though. He can put up big scoring numbers on a bad team.” – via Bleacher Report

Some people just don't know how good they had it. He'll probably never have a coach that loves him like Quin did
Old 08-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #679
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
While it may appear disheartening to know that collegiate players can’t join the G League at any point in the season, it’s all about optics. It’s also about strengthening the G League Draft as well with prospects and avoiding situations like the one above where players can sit and wait until the team of their choice sits atop the waiver order, thus nullifying the entire draft process. Will Bazley’s (in)decision reflect on his draft stock? Opting to not play in the 2018–19 season will certainly limit his potential as a possible lottery pick, especially if scouts aren’t able to assess his talent and potential. – via 2 Ways & 10 Days

Doesn't want to play in Utah?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #680
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/18/uta...raded-2018-19/

Quote:
With a number of friendly expiring contracts, or agreements with team options on the back end, the sky’s the limit on who Utah could aim to move. Raul Neto, Derrick Favors, Thabo Sefolosha and Ekpe Udoh all fall in those aforementioned categories and, especially depending on how the season shakes out, each of them could be in trade conversations.

Rubio is playing for his job with Allen joining the 33 million dollar man, Spida and O'Neale. Bradley is 4th center and will probably never be one so I could certainly see him going at some point.

Quote:
Honestly, I have a hard time seeing any of those guys being moved, especially the recently re-signed Favors and Neto who were just given new deals this summer. Favors has often been purportedly made available at trade deadlines, but after proving his worth time and time again and earning the nice contract he did this offseason, I’d say it’s pretty clear the Jazz are set on keeping a tight hold on him (as they should), at least for the entirety of this season.

Expiring contract. They should certainly be open to moving him

Quote:
Burks has always been a hyper-athlete, but during that series, he was able to put some of his typical weaknesses behind him in order to thrive. His decision making and control were better, and while efficiency has never really been his strong suit, he proved he could create his own shot and provided some nice offense for the Jazz’s second unit.

Gets to the hole and the line. That's what you want!

Quote:
Then again, the Jazz aren’t typically a team to act rashly or hastily, so it’s entirely possible that they’ll once again follow a similar path at this year’s trade deadline. Whether or not Burks is a part of Utah’s long-term plans (most likely not), they may very well find it most prudent to keep him and the rest of this Utah Jazz squad together for the entirety of the year.

He better be bought out if not traded. He deserves to play somewhere.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #681
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/18/uta...th-cp3-harden/

Quote:
That assumption comes from a video that recently surfaced that showed Harden, Paul, Mitchell and Royce O’Neale all working out with one another, taking turns getting up shots and defending one another.

Can't hurt to work out with two of the best!

Quote:
But more importantly, this is just yet another reminder that the Jazz are on the map. It’s not everyday that members of the small market Jazz find themselves working out with NBA stars, so this is cool to see.

Stop! Hayward worked out with Kobe. not like it's a first
Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #682
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/19/uta...a-free-agency/

Quote:
Dennis Lindsey and the Utah Jazz have done a fantastic job over the last two off-seasons to ensure the team has maximum flexibility going forward. All of that hard work is likely going to come to a head during the 2019 NBA off-season.

Not being all in is doing a fantastic job?

Quote:
One of the primary reasons I am confident the Jazz will make the playoffs this year is because of internal growth and continuity in the roster. By simply running it back from last year, they are putting themselves in a great spot to succeed.

If your idea of success is the playoffs. They weren't that far from being out of the playoffs last year. Their goal should be to step it up though

Quote:
The Jazz have signed contracts to ensure that they have maximum flexibility heading into this next off-season. After the 2018-19 campaign, Derrick Favors, Ricky Rubio, Alec Burks, Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh and Raul Neto could all be off the team. The odds of every one of those players being gone is slim, but the chance is still there.

At least 4 of them could have been gone this year but aren't despite the coach not being a huge fan of any of them. Not hard to see all of them being gone by next year. Hard to imagine Neto, Burks, Thabo or Udoh being back though. Why would they be?

Quote:
As much as we all love Derrick Favors, it is not likely that he will ever be able to shoot the three ball even above 35 percent. Price wise, I would expect Mirotic to garner no more than 15 million or so annually on his next contract. If the Jazz are ready to move on from a traditional two-big lineup, Mirotic is one of the best options out there.

Be lucky if he shoots 25%. Be interesting to see how the minutes play out between him and Randle this year

Quote:
Bobby Portis – Chicago Bulls

Doesn't sound like he has Jazz DNA. Breaking his teammates face?

Quote:
Harris started his career as a small forward, but as the NBA has evolved over the last few years, he has become a full-time power forward. This gives him an advantage almost every night he steps on the floor, as most threes can’t handle his size, but most fours are unable to keep up with his speed and ball handling.

Not sure you can call him a full time pf in a line-up with Gallinari. I'd think he'd be at the top of their wish list if he really likes Utah. Mirotic is he's not

Quote:
At just 22 years of age, Oubre had a career year with the Washington Wizards last season. He averaged close to 12 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 1.0 steal per game, and also shot 34 percent from three point range.

Another non shooter. Please sign him up too!!!

Quote:
As a member of the Utah Jazz, he could start at the small forward position, which would allow Joe Ingles to come off the bench as he moves into his 30s. In certain lineups, though, Middleton could allow the Jazz to play super interesting small-ball lineups, with Gobert still at center to protect the rim.
Could allow Ingles to go back to the two and for Ricky to go elsewhere. He's already in his 30's. Doubt this guy is leaving the Bucks. They just let Jabari go. They'll pay him
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 AM   #683
Xiao Yao You

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/08/19/ph...-trade-target/

Quote:
One negative is that his 3-point shooting seemed to regress, dropping to 27.3 percent in 2017-18. However, he only played 14 games due to injury, and that shooting percentage came on only 18 shots — much too small of a sample size to be meaningful. His free throw shooting is solid though, hovering near 80 percent the last two years, so it would seem there’s a good shooter in there somewhere.

Watch him shoot and tell me there's a good shooter in there. He wouldn't even look at the rim in the playoffs!

Quote:
When the game slows down in the playoffs, a team needs more than one person that it can go to for a good look every time down. The Jazz have a guard that can do so in Mitchell, but they could use a wing that’s different from all their 3-and-D guys. Hello, T.J. Warren.

Despite his numbers I could see Warren being out of the league before long. He had an old game not a modern game. No thanks even if it means getting rid of Dante

Quote:
Perhaps Exum and the Jazz’s first round pick this year is enough to get Warren away from the Phoenix Suns, though perhaps that’s too much. Maybe other players or picks would be involved as well. The deal also couldn’t go through until Jan. 15 since he just re-signed in free agency.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #684
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/8/20/17...formance-stats

Quote:
Udoh was a huge reason the Jazz survived all the injuries they dealt with last season. No, this doesn’t mean Udoh is the 10th-best center in the NBA. There’s a pretty solid chance he’s the best third-string center in the league, though.

Might have the best 4th stringer too!

Quote:
Top-tier rim protection is a critical component of Utah’s dominant defense. And again, when Gobert wasn’t in the game, the Jazz always had another stellar rim protector ready to go.

Favors isn't stellar!

Quote:
It seems like forever ago, but the Jazz actually got off to a pretty rough start to the 2017-18 season. Sefolosha was one of the bright spots. Utah almost always played better when he was on the floor.

Sadly COTY didn't even think he should be on the floor every game!

Quote:
Without that 20-game stretch, O’Neale would’ve shot 46.5 percent from the field and 41.9 percent from three. Expecting those numbers for an entire season would probably be a stretch, but if he can get closer to them, he’ll be on his way to bona fide 3-and-D status.

I certainly see him as a guy that will hit 3's eventually. He didn't look horrible at it like Rubio and Exum and Favors
Old 08-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #685
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/20/uta...two-seasons/2/

Quote:
My main concern is with Ricky Rubio.

Me too. Exum, Favors, COTy and the Wizard are big worries as well!

Quote:
No player on the Jazz roster had a larger bell curve than Rubio last season. There were stretches over the first few months of last season where it really felt like the Jazz were going to be forced to bench the Spanish star, and it appeared that they would have to trade him for ten cents on the dollar.

Who would have taken him?

Quote:
If Rubio isn’t able to replicate his strong second half of last season, and instead plays closer to how he performed in the first half, the Jazz could find themselves in an awkward position. Luckily, if that were to happen, Exum should be healthy and available to play more minutes this season.

Quote:
Offensively, Rubio was the player who shined the most over the second half of the season. The Jazz turned their season around on January 24th with an overtime win over the Detroit Pistons. I wrote this at the end of the season about Rubio:

Shined more than Mitchell?

Quote:
Before injuries held him out of the second round playoff series against the Houston Rockets, Rubio more than held his own against former MVP Russell Westbrook, even dropping a triple double, and forcing Westbrook to make the statement that he would shut Rubio down in the next game.

32%!!!
Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM   #686
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/20/uta...ting-revealed/

Quote:
Honestly, I think the rating is pretty fair. O’Neale impressed me a lot last year and was especially good in the playoffs as a defender. However, he needs to prove that he can be a capable rotation piece over the course of the entire season and he needs to get his shooting efficiency up before I’m willing to assign him a ranking that’s much higher than what he received.

yet you will go on and on about how great Exum is!
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #687
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Donovan Mitchell is asked about whether the Jazz are going to make the Western Conference Finals. He asks “why not the NBA Finals?” – via Twitter andyblarsen

Favors, Rubio, Exum, Lindsey, Snyder and ownership
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #688
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/08/21/how...r-nba-teams/2/

Who cares? How do they stack up against GS and the team that knocked them out last year?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: