Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jabari Parker

Default Re: Jabari Parker

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Right, but that's not on Tebow. I mean, I guess part of it is, the kneeling prayers after big plays and all, but say Cam Newton did that shit, story's dead before either plays a down. And it never even starts if Tebow doesn't win two titles at Florida (one thanks to Chris Leak). You know what I'm getting at with this...

I know Parker's a strict Mormon, but I really don't know what that entails. I mean it's not like Jehovah's Witnesses right, it's not his duty to "spread the word" or whatever is it? If it is, whatever, I really don't think it'd get play. Tebow's a white Xtian QB. For better or worse, that's a long ways away from a black Mormon wing. It'd be a gigantic deal in Utah, but that's it, no one else would care. I mean, let's be honest, some 20 year old black kid preaching doesn't have the resonance that a 23(?) white QB does. That's just how America works, better or worse. I mean shit, one of the two guys that'll be president next term is a Mormon and NO ONE mentions it.
    i know next to nothing about the mormon faith, but dont a lot of young men at 20 go on a faith spreading mission? i heard this about parker, that hes open to forgoing the nba for a few years, to go on a mission. if he does, surely that would draw a ton of attention, not tebow like attention, but it would be the thing that comes to mind when you think of him

Dunking on everybody in the park TheTruth11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Actually Parker reminds me of a taller Mitch Richmond.

I've been thinking of a guy who he best resembles and its "Rock".

Jabari looks to be a guy who looks to be so strong and crafty when he gets to the basket that he can finish in all sorts of ways. From his highlight video you see him getting to the basket at times and he's able lower his head and finish at the rim with both hands without even dunking it every time.

That was the same with Mitch Richmond. Both play at a certain smooth pace that you'd almost forget how athletic they are in open space. Both have such good footwork that they can change direction so quicky off the dribble its tough to guard them. Then both can post up, face up and nail the jumper.

But they resemble each other the most with their jumpshot.

Look at how quick of a trigger Jabari has on that.

Mitch's release was top notch too with a quick trigger either pulling up in transition or spotting up for 3.

Im kinda not ruling out Washington this time around.

A lot of family connections and Washington has a great reputation for putting guys in the NBA.

I can see the Mitch comparison but taller. Good call. I can also see Paul Pierce but slightly more athletic more attack minded and with better handles. But I still tend to go back to Melo because they are both light of foot, about the same athletically in terms of speed and leaping ability, both have great range, both are crafty, but with Jabari possibly having better handles.

But the wildcard in all of this is what happens if he continues to grow. Multiple reports say that Doctors have told him he is not done growing. If that turns out to be true then I lean more toward a KD comparison.

Good call also on pointing out the trigger finger. Jabari has no conscience. He must be guarded as soon as crosses the half court line.

As for him picking Washington, that would not entirely surprise me. Not likely from what I have heard but certainly possible.

Right, but that's not on Tebow. I mean, I guess part of it is, the kneeling prayers after big plays and all, but say Cam Newton did that shit, story's dead before either plays a down. And it never even starts if Tebow doesn't win two titles at Florida (one thanks to Chris Leak). You know what I'm getting at with this...

I know Parker's a strict Mormon, but I really don't know what that entails. I mean it's not like Jehovah's Witnesses right, it's not his duty to "spread the word" or whatever is it? If it is, whatever, I really don't think it'd get play. Tebow's a white Xtian QB. For better or worse, that's a long ways away from a black Mormon wing. It'd be a gigantic deal in Utah, but that's it, no one else would care. I mean, let's be honest, some 20 year old black kid preaching doesn't have the resonance that a 23(?) white QB does. That's just how America works, better or worse. I mean shit, one of the two guys that'll be president next term is a Mormon and NO ONE mentions it.
    Good points.

Im not sure if all Mormons have to "spread the word" but the few who I know from school/work do speak a lot on their faith. Almost to the point where 65% of our talks are kinda ending up being an indirect discussion mentioning how God has ways of dealing with things and the role personal faith plays in how better things will be for you. The other 35% is trying to find common ground by discussing popular topics, but I've learned that they don't really have the same interests as other people their age and dont take part in activities outside of their faith.

So basically, I can't really find a connect and I can imagine how a prominent person would be perceived if he had that same disconnect from the public who scrutinizes their every word/action.

But you're 100% right on how the public is going to react to a 20 year old Black basketball player preaching about faith & discussing Mormom values. From what I understand a lot of the activities & behaviors of most Mormons are different from the general public. As a person who describes himself as a devot Mormon(even considering doing the Mormon Mission at 19), it might cause him to try to drive the point across about his faith a little more. I've seen things where he has done interviews with Mormon websites and appeared on Mormon radio talk shows, very small outlets that most "famous" people wouldn't feel the need to involve themselves with.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i know next to nothing about the mormon faith, but dont a lot of young men at 20 go on a faith spreading mission? i heard this about parker, that hes open to forgoing the nba for a few years, to go on a mission. if he does, surely that would draw a ton of attention, not tebow like attention, but it would be the thing that comes to mind when you think of him
    I believe they go at 19, and that would literally be right before the start of their rookie season. It would be a 2 year mission somewhere in the world. Most really devout Mormons do go on these missions, I've noticed that it happens pretty frequently in college football. 1 of the Mormon friends I have actually served a Mission that took him out of school for about 1 1/2 years. I believe he was assigned or chose to go to Guinea.

Some prominent Mormon guys like Jimmer Freddete for example turn down a Mormon Mission and get criticized by the more devout group of Mormons.

[QUOTE]Jimmer has said that he prayed about going on a mission and felt that he could do more good for the Church going the route of Steve Young, Danny Ainge and other high profile Mormon athletes who have leveraged their celebrity to spread the

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    Lol my HS team would have smacked Simeon this year.

Maybe in a dream or something.

There was an article in SI a few months ago that talked about Parker and his faith, and explains several things.

Saw a basketball once YouAintGrizz's Avatar

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Announced his top 10.. Illinois out of the mix :/

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Announced his top 10.. Illinois out of the mix :/

How is it the Illini consistently lose out on the best talent in the state??? Makes no damn sense.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballinhun8
    How is it the Illini consistently lose out on the best talent in the state??? Makes no damn sense.
    Well, we got into the game kinda late since we switched coaches and maybe our relationship with Chicago is still shaky? Hurts to see that DePaul is still in the mix but we're not.

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

If Illinois could land the best players in state consistently they could be a top 10 team nearly every year.

Guys that are/were pretty good in college from Illinois since 2008; Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear, Ryan Boatright, Meyers Leonard, Brandon Paul, Iman Shumpert, Josh Harrellson.

2/7 played for the Illini, and all those players are already in the NBA or future NBAers, in my opinion at least. Boatright is the only iffy one.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    If Illinois could land the best players in state consistently they could be a top 10 team nearly every year.

Guys that are/were pretty good in college from Illinois since 2008; Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear, Ryan Boatright, Meyers Leonard, Brandon Paul, Iman Shumpert, Josh Harrellson.

2/7 played for the Illini, and all those players are already in the NBA or future NBAers, in my opinion at least. Boatright is the only iffy one.
    Paul is nowhere close to being a definite NBA player...And Illinois never had a chance at Davi$. Pretty sure the same applies to black$hear.

Your scope is pretty narrow. Where I'm at everybody talks about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Your scope is pretty narrow. Where I'm at everybody talks about it.
    I guess it honestly depends where they're from. I see from your tag that you're from/in Utah, an obvious Mormon epicenter. I'd imagine it would have some significance in the south as well, particularly in places like Texas or the Bible belt.

I'm from New York and go to school in the Baltimore/DC area .... it's basically an afterthought here.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Parker can ball but Wiggins is that dude.