Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default The Hurt Locker

I just saw this yesterday. I was planning on going to see it before it's release, but like most things I'm interested in, it got only a limited release. And while I'm not opposed to taking a trip to see a movie, this was a little further down on my list (I took a ride to see Moon a few weeks ago). Somwhere in the back of my mind, even despite all the great things I'd heard about it, it's still just a war flick.

Anyway, it's release is spreading, and it did finally show up at one of the few theatre's locally that will occasionally carry these limited releases on their second wave. It was great. Visually superb in spots. The dry bright desert often shoots well, and is good for the long isolated shots that I usually like, so I wasn't surprised by that, but the editing that flashed around the squalor painted an incredible picture. I found myself particularly set off by the few seconds of screen time of wounded animals. And the handling of the long war torn streets made what felt like a wide open landscape at one moment really feel like claustrophobic and choked off.

Action wise it's incredibly tense. It's about an Explosive Ordinance Disposal unit, so it's going to be by it's nature. But they really give you the feeling of tension. And the more action sequences are handled in what feels like an almost traditional action flick way, close ups, and slow mo, but it looks great and feels genuine at the end of these tense sequences. It feels like it's there to express the tension that's already in the scene, rather than to create it.

As with a lot of war movies, the characters aren't hugely fleshed out, but there's more here than in most, even if you don't get to the root of most of it. And there's some great brief performances by some good actors, Ralph Feins as a british bounty hunter, David Morse as a Squad Leader, Guy Pierce as a EOD team leader. Christian Camargo, as the wienie base commander / psychotrist, who I knew I recognized from somewhere (he's Dexter's brother, The Ice Truck killer in the first season of Dexter). Even a brief but well done bit by Evangaline Lilly as the wife left home.

It reminded me of Black Hawk Down, mostly because of how it looked and sounded, but it doesn't have the chaotic element that had, and because of that, it works better as a narative for me. There is one sequence that I wasn't crazy about, that just feels out of place, but I won't go into detail. Overall, a really well made movie that looks at a different niche in the bigger and often done war drama. A low 90s from me, and I highly recommend it.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
thekavorka
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: The Hurt Locker

Saw this last week. Movie is amazing. The performances are outstanding, and the tension is heart-pounding.

But I don't think I can watch this again since now I know what's going to happen.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Saw it like 5 months ago when it was on watch-movies.net, and I remember thinking it was pretty damn good.

Quote:
Ralph Feins as a british bounty hunter
My favorite scene of the film by far.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

I just RT'd it and it's sitting at 97% - 112 positive and 3 negative.

Wow.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Saw it like 5 months ago when it was on watch-movies.net, and I remember thinking it was pretty damn good.

My favorite scene of the film by far.

That was a great scene. I actually think my favorite scene might be the opening sequence, that sequence is tense, and it's got all the styalized visual effects. And I remember thinking "this can't keep this up". But it pretty much did.

The only part I wasn't thrilled with (in white)

His venture into the city to find the family of the boy. They tried, but they never convinced me about the relationship between him and Beckham. And it never really became clear to me what the deal was with the professor's house, and who the merchant was. It just played weird. Although the paniced trip through the night time metro area was looked and felt incredible, and was worth whatever caused it, but even that was so different from the rest of the flick that it felt a little out of place.
A really minor issue.

I'll have to read those couple bad reviews on RT. I'm always fascinated by what sparks bad reviews in movies that I just can't figure out where they'd come from. Not that it's flawless, but I just can't imagine someone saying it's no good.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'll have to read those couple bad reviews on RT. I'm always fascinated by what sparks bad reviews in movies that I just can't figure out where they'd come from. Not that it's flawless, but I just can't imagine someone saying it's no good.

this has been happening more and more on rotten tomatoes, nobody critics writing a negative review for a film that has had only positive opinion so far, they do this simply because if evryone loves a film and they write a review ripping it apart they will get loads of hits on the website from angry people who wish to write a criticism of their review. most of the time they havent even watched the film and it again angers people into clicking their website. ive noticed this more and more with rotten tomatoes lately, it seems they will let anyone be part of the tomatometer- which is a great shame and brings down the site. you only have to read the bad reviews for films like the wrestler/wall-e etc and see how many comments these reviews have compared with the good ones.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I've noticed that as well with RT.

99% good rating on a film, and then two or three hacks completely ripping the film to shreds.

Or, the RT Tomato meter reading 80+ and the critics reviews and RT reviews only being in the 50's and 60's. Any retard can come along and use the meter, unfairly raising and lowering the ranking of a film.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: