Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default I hate to say it but...

I feel like this is one of those "I told you so" situations.

Quote:
Skeptic no more

Darko Milicic is proving to be a worthwhile investment in the early stages. The often maligned (and deservedly so) free-agent pickup has delivered consistent effort and production. You'd have to say he's meeting expectations so far. Six games do not make an NBA season but Milicic's efficiency belies his clumsy preseason. He's shooting 46 percent, averaging 9.6 points, 8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 30 minutes. Bottom line is that if Milicic can keep this up, he'll make his three-year, reportedly $21 million contract a bargain.

I should throw in he had 20 pts, 6 rebs, and 2 blks last night against Yao.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Re: I hate to say it but...

Think we could get him straight up for Primo?
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Alot of Bobcats fans wanted Darko, but in the long run we have to sign our core 4. So at the time it really wasnt that big of an option. Hopefully we can big up a decent big in the draft and develop our current bigs.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
Think we could get him straight up for Primo?

lol That could be a good thread: who could we get straight up for Primo?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Alot of Bobcats fans wanted Darko, but in the long run we have to sign our core 4. So at the time it really wasnt that big of an option. Hopefully we can big up a decent big in the draft and develop our current bigs.

If we had signed Darko, then we would have a core 5. over the salary cap, def. but as it is if Emeka signs an extension this summer all we have is the mid level exception or if we are under cap it won't be by enough to sign anyone. Had we locked up Darko this summer and extended Emeka this preseason or this summer we would be able to go over the cap w/ Emeka's contract since he has played for us for 3 years or more.

If we let go of Harrington, Primoz and Fabio this summer and signed Emeka to the $85/5 he seems to want... we would be approximately $3 mill over cap although it would probably be more considering almost every player has a back loaded contract anymore
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
lol That could be a good thread: who could we get straight up for Primo?

the sad part is with our cap room and Primoz being nearly $3 mill coming off the cap, we could probably move him with a 2nd rounder for a good player.
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty

Actually there wasn't any option unless we wanted to let MC walk (which could be an argument; starter vs. 6th man). Right now we're about 3 million under the cap...which wouldn't have reeled in Darko.

Next year I think we have between 7 to 9 million to play with in FA or trade. Mek passing on his deal actually helped us in that regard, as his caphold on his current deal is less than the 13+ we would have signed him to this year.

We can always go over the cap to re-sign our own players, but no doubt the 'Cats are going to do their best to be fiscally prudent.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Yes said we wanted him and it made sense as a 5th option and worked cap wise, unless we were thinking of trading away a big name next summer for a big name next year. Darko was a solid yet unspectacular starter (just over hyped by where he was picked) where-as Brezec is a solid yet unspectacular back-up for which we have Hollins and Davidson on second rounder money.

Guess Webber is still out there but he's like 34 not 24 and would want similar money so totally agree. Looks like next season we will try and spend our money under the cap before resigning Okafor but we might have to be rather quick negotiating as he's bound to get offers fast we'd have to match I think within couple of days. Also itwon't be any more money than we had this year.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvThisGame
the sad part is with our cap room and Primoz being nearly $3 mill coming off the cap, we could probably move him with a 2nd rounder for a good player.

No doubt we could, but we also have to look at future implications.

Since SAC came out and said they'd (basicly) deal SAR for expirings I came up with Harrington for SAR straight up, and due to us being under the cap it's possible. I even proposed it on the trade board at RealGM and got good responses.

Thing is though, it'd keep us out of FA (with that beforementioned 7-9 million) for the next year and into the year after. I've kind of backed off on wanting to do that as we can probably get something better by being patient.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

The problem with signing Darko would have been that we would have even more money rapped up in 5 players than we have/will have wrapped up in the Big 4. Along with Carroll, we wouldn't have had hardly any money to spend to finish filling our roster. The thing is that we wouldn't need too much more than a few first rounders still under rookie contracts to help us win. With a quality/winning core, we could also attract older players looking to compete for next to nothing. Obviously it's in the past and I hated to bring it up but Darko is on my fantasy team and I was so happy with his performance last night and it just got me thinking about how nice it would have been to gotten him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUK
Guess Webber is still out there but he's like 34 not 24 and would want similar money so totally agree.
Webber turned down a lot of money that was offered to him by a Greek team. He wants a ring and nothing else. Money isn't the factor and neither are the Cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Since SAC came out and said they'd (basicly) deal SAR for expirings I came up with Harrington for SAR straight up
I wouldnt trade Harrington for SARs contract in a million years. Since it is expiring and it's not like SARs would help our playoff chances this year any more than Harrington. Heck, with Hollins and Jmo playing at a decent level, I doubt Harrington will get any PT, neither would SAR.

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 11-14-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
I wouldnt trade Harrington for SARs contract in a million years. Since it is expiring and it's not like SARs would help our playoff chances this year any more than Harrington. Heck, with Hollins and Jmo playing at a decent level, I doubt Harrington will get any PT, neither would SAR.

You think he wouldn't? Honestly I don't know...due to timing and a crap record I have seldom seen SAR play so it's hard for me to say one way or the other. From what I understand and going by his stats he's a pretty good post up player and pullls rebounds down at a decent rate. Add to that he's a vet and that sounds exactly what we need.

I've bailed on the idea mainly because it'd restrict us in the near future and he seems to be already declining, but I think he'd help now (assuming his knees are ok).

Not a big deal either way, as it seems we both don't really want him.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Question Re: I hate to say it but...

Who the heck is SAR?????????
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

He might help us get there this year but I doubt it. Add in the fact that he has 3 years left on his contract (this year + 2 more) and it's pretty easy to see it's not worth it. I mean, if we couldn't pay Darko 21 over 3 years, why pay SAR 18.6 over 3 years?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Shareef Abdur Rahim I think.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Who the heck is SAR?????????
It's as easy as looking on Sacramento's roster...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: