Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: NBA 2k11: Jordan Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Just got the game today. Took me a few tries to get the first Jordan challenge done 'cause I was playing defense and my first game I had 65/5. Was one assist short, but won the game and got the Smothering trophy. Second try, same thing, won game but had 61/6.

And also. . .either the '86 Bulls are the worst passing team in NBA history, or the '86 Celtics have the best passing defense in NBA history, because frickin no ball is safe if you pass it anywhere near them. I had to like, walk people right up to Jordan in order to get him the ball safely like that scene from the Sandlot or something where Smalls walked the ball back to the pitcher since he threw like a girl. :\ Jordan's passes seemed to go through normally though.

Annoyed, I decided to just stop playing defense to increase my possessions, and uh, for some reason the Celtics played, and shot, much worse than usual, and I destroyed them on the glass as well, which is inexplicable. Anyway, Jordan statline: 87/8/8 on 73% shooting, 25 point blowout win. Victory.

It's fun though. It's also cool how you can unlock the different Jordan brand shoes and equip them to players to give them small stat boosts.

Arnold Schwarzenegger got into your game files.

I was banging jumpers all day with young MJ. You just can't shoot threes or expect to make long deuces. He was a close range dude, but his jumper was automatic within about 15 feet that year.
    YOu get used to the passing defense. I don't get the ball stolen too much anymore unless i start getting carelss. No long outlets and if you pass cross court you need to see who is around. the thing about the defense now is its fun to play because the collision improved so much. it doesn't feel like you are just hoping when you try to steal passes, block shots, etc.

And i've done 3 challenges so far and im doing the Laker series now. Tied 1-1, i had 40-17 and LOST game 2. Jordan went cold at the end (and got double teamed) and my teammates decided to pretend they forgot how to shoot. Obnxious.

I rule the local playground Semi's Avatar

Well, was almost too easy with Jordan at the Arrival when I got it done. Needed three trys or so but finally got 85/9/2 at superstar. Wasn't very hard when I figured out how to get to the bucket with Jordan. Automatic Free Throws, And One or Dunk. Well, also won the Game in OT on a Jordan Gamewinner which was an uncharacteristic (for this game) jumper
    Was fun but I'm not into this play with one guy gameplay. Will play a few other modes before I touch the Jordan Challenge again because next up are the 69 points against the Cavs. (In my description of the Challenge the write that Jordan plays for the Wizards. What the **** is that?! This Fail disturbs me!) Well again ballhogging with Jordan. Net a break from that and play "real" basketball.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

I just beat the lakers in a 4 game sweep first two games where nail bitters but I figured out their defense and killed them game 3 and 4

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

I'm starting to get pissed off at the rule changes during some of these Jordan challenges. I'm doing the one vs the Lakers in the Finals, and so far I did the first two games, won both and have MJ well ahead of the pace I need him at to pass the challenge. . . BUT, the cheese factor of the Lakers is through the roof in this challenge. They get way too many offensive boards, they usually out ORB me by 4x as much, this last time it was 8-1, and I've been trying to get boards. . .

Plus they seem to have less lag after going for boards, less lag than my team does after losing the ball (they pick the ball back up almost right away after I poke it out, meanwhile they always get the ball if they poke it away from me).

They seem to have infinite stamina. Magic Johnson never sits down and never slows down, Worthy is almost always on the floor even if he has 5 fouls at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and somehow is allowed to stay in the game even when he fouls out (that literally just happened, not joking).

Plus every time they force up a contested shot, they seem to have a far greater chance of making it than if I do. Actually, their accuracy with contested shots is about as much as mine are wide open.

I've just barely scraped by the first two games. . .the one just now I barely won 92-91, and they bricked a game winner attempt at the buzzer.

I got outrebounded 33-22. . .and had to shoot over 60% for the whole game to win by a single point. :\ They also had 14 second chance points to my 0 (since they get offensive boards way too much).

Tall about a grueling challenge. Just winning the games I mean. The other challenges were a joke and blowout wins (besides the Celtics one). But this, jesus. Byron Scott plays like he's Wade, Worthy plays like he's Hakeem, and Magic plays like it was 6 years before the game even took place. :\

Anyway. . .I got the first two games done with Jordan averaging 46/5.5/17.

50/5/17 on 66% in Game 1, and 42/6/17 on 58% in game 2.

I'll probably set the point/assist parameter in Game 3 so I can just focus on winning game 4 and ignore the other parameters. Just need 32 points and 10 assists over the next two games (assuming I win both) to match the PPG/APG quota. Just gotta not chuck and drop the FG% below 55.

/end rant and wall of text. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    I've done the first two. The 63 against the Celts and 69 against the Cavs. I had to cheese all the way through. There's no way those challenges can be done by playing properly on only 8 minute quarters.
    They can, you just have to do specific things to make sure you pass them properly. It's best to use a second ballhandler (especially once you can start to use Pippen in the later challenges, he comes in HUGE in upping your assist totals and for assisting you on plays to score more easily) and have Jordan move without the ball then catch a pass in a more favorable position since you always get collapsed on and double/triple teamed any time you get the ball (this is what happened irl with him too).

Once you get Pippen, it should be easy to drop 50-60 points on 55-70% to go along with 10+ assists in every challenge. Well, when you have to do the L.A. one you probably won't get much over 50 since those games are extremely hard and they cheat hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    YOu get used to the passing defense. I don't get the ball stolen too much anymore unless i start getting carelss. No long outlets and if you pass cross court you need to see who is around. the thing about the defense now is its fun to play because the collision improved so much. it doesn't feel like you are just hoping when you try to steal passes, block shots, etc.
    You're right there, but it's like, when I pass along the perimeter it's like they have a sixth sense and lunge 5 feet toward the arc to intercept a bullet pass. It's like there's no way they could've done that w/o the AI just reacting to the button input and have an automatic countermeasure or something. My TOs are drastically reduced now because I get REALLY close before passing unless it's with MJ or Pipp' since they always panic and double/triple when they drive trying to contest.

I have np with the blocking or anything though. Just the insane pass defense that some of these classic teams have. It's just weird 'cause guys with low pass ability apparently always get their passes intercepted if anyone's even remotely close to the intended player. You gotta walk the ball up to them like Smalls. Maybe there's some special way to pass the ball better that I don't know though. That very well could be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    And i've done 3 challenges so far and im doing the Laker series now. Tied 1-1, i had 40-17 and LOST game 2. Jordan went cold at the end (and got double teamed) and my teammates decided to pretend they forgot how to shoot. Obnxious.
    I feel your pain. Playing them makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. I almost just lost game 2 as well. Luckily they bricked a potential game winner. The funny this is, I had a 42/17 game 2. Almost exact same stats you got. I guess the difference is that I got a fair amount of FTAs for a change (of course, the player who fouled out got to stay in the game).

Honestly, I've almost changed the game setting several times during the game out of spite because I knew it was bs, but I resisted and barely won. It's sure as hell stressful though. Pippen saved me w/ a monster game and great shooting.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TryToBeUnbias
    I just beat the lakers in a 4 game sweep first two games where nail bitters but I figured out their defense and killed them game 3 and 4
    Tips? I'm taking a break from that grueling challenge for awhile, it'd be nice to know how to attack them more easily. Do you go to Grant more or something instead of mostly MJ/Pippen/whoever's playing PG?

Stacey King never makes a bucket when I pass to him so forget that. I've had decent success with Grant sometimes though.

The only things I've noticed that result in easy buckets are if you can have Pippen or MJ in the corner then dribble part of the team away with MJ then kick it to Pippen and he can charge right in and stuff it. That works in reverse too, though they obviously cheat towards MJ any time he doesn't have the ball and it gets infuriating. Pipp's pretty damn solid though. It's nice to run plays for MJ with him, and do cuts with him when MJ has the ball for easy assists.

I cannot beat the C's, I ended up with 61 points, 6 assists and 65% shooting on Superstar difficulty, simulation mode. I dont know how people are getting this done with such ease.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    I cannot beat the C's, I ended up with 61 points, 6 assists and 65% shooting on Superstar difficulty, simulation mode. I dont know how people are getting this done with such ease.
    In my case, and many others, we're sticking on the default setting (pro). I'm usually an "All-Star" guy, and I plan on working my way back through the challenges on that level, but it's too fun dominating with MJ right now.

Also, for those struggling with completing even the easiest of passes, may I suggest practicing and mastering Icon Passing. I think this is R1 on the PS3, RB on the 360. The great thing about the icon passing is the ability to lead a player to an area of the floor. This way, he'll be on the move to an open area and not stationary. You can essentiallly make your teammates come to the ball (like they're supposed to) by holding the left analog toward whatever direction you want before you pass to them via icon.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

I've finished the first four. and I've tried the next three and stats were not that good 3 quarters into the game so I did not pass. The Lakers seem like they will be hard.. and I've tried the double-nickel 2 or 3 times. Just can't get it yet..
    The last 3 challenges look kinda tough because of the rebounds. There is one where you have to get x number of steals but I don't think that will be a problem for me. .

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Also, for those struggling with completing even the easiest of passes, may I suggest practicing and mastering Icon Passing. I think this is R1 on the PS3, RB on the 360. The great thing about the icon passing is the ability to lead a player to an area of the floor. This way, he'll be on the move to an open area and not stationary. You can essentiallly make your teammates come to the ball (like they're supposed to) by holding the direction pad toward whatever direction you want before you pass to them via icon.
    I have been using the icons to pass like 65% of the time. But I do not know how to get the dudes to go where I want yet. The direction pad?? What if you want player x to cut left but he's not and it's player LT that's cutting for example. Tell me a little more about it . ...

I have always used Icon passing, I never liked just pressing X because sometimes it would throw it to the wrong guy. I hate that.

Did they get rid of the quick plays? I know you can do quick post up and stuff like that, but what about choosing a specific player to post up/come off screens and stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    I have always used Icon passing, I never liked just pressing X because sometimes it would throw it to the wrong guy. I hate that.

Did they get rid of the quick plays? I know you can do quick post up and stuff like that, but what about choosing a specific player to post up/come off screens and stuff like that?
    they still have the quick-plays thing'a'mi'jigger.
    I normally use the quick pick and roll or the isolation one.

do you have the game yet?

-that's 1000 posts-

(that's reputable.. am I wrong?)

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Tips? I'm taking a break from that grueling challenge for awhile, it'd be nice to know how to attack them more easily. Do you go to Grant more or something instead of mostly MJ/Pippen/whoever's playing PG?

Stacey King never makes a bucket when I pass to him so forget that. I've had decent success with Grant sometimes though.

The only things I've noticed that result in easy buckets are if you can have Pippen or MJ in the corner then dribble part of the team away with MJ then kick it to Pippen and he can charge right in and stuff it. That works in reverse too, though they obviously cheat towards MJ any time he doesn't have the ball and it gets infuriating. Pipp's pretty damn solid though. It's nice to run plays for MJ with him, and do cuts with him when MJ has the ball for easy assists.
    I went to my coach setting and made who ever is guarding Worth play him tight on and off ball because that guy is unstoppable on that game. Same with magic. I use armstrong as my primary PG his jumpshot is easier imo to use and helps get me easy assist along with 3 point shooting when they double MJ. I normally start the game out aggressive and try to get like 15-18 points in the first quarter the defense will start to sag off there men and you'll get semi open shots with pippen,grant, etc.

Guarding magic is pretty much not an option let the cpu do it and when the cpu post up one of your big men they will miss more often when you press Y to contest the shot rather than letting the cpu do it automatically.

Getting by scott was easier games 3 and 4 for me im not sure why I just assumed I figured out how he defended me.

Quote Originally Posted by TryToBeUnbias
    I went to my coach setting and made who ever is guarding Worth play him tight on and off ball because that guy is unstoppable on that game. Same with magic. I use armstrong as my primary PG his jumpshot is easier imo to use and helps get me easy assist along with 3 point shooting when they double MJ. I normally start the game out aggressive and try to get like 15-18 points in the first quarter the defense will start to sag off there men and you'll get semi open shots with pippen,grant, etc.

Guarding magic is pretty much not an option let the cpu do it and when the cpu post up one of your big men they will miss more often when you press Y to contest the shot rather than letting the cpu do it automatically.

Getting by scott was easier games 3 and 4 for me im not sure why I just assumed I figured out how he defended me.
    I didn't know you could do that . ..

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
    I didn't know you could do that . ..
    yea you can it I remember just pausing the game during game 2 of the finals like **** this there has to be adjustments (worthy had like 24 13-17) cuz that fu*cker was not missing it helped slightly plus Ive gotten better at defending on ball myself.

stoping the human highlight reel from getting 25 points ? just double team his ass nonestop and make sure you keep the lead.

Note : he still had 24 points ...