Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA All-star

Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller View Post
    I seen Cousy highlights, they're actually really good if you consider that they weren't allowed to carry or travel as much as players can nowadays
    the era where hockey assists hadn't been invented. SG and SF is a very blurred concept given that, but it was also probably given that you played as close to the basket as much as your size allows.

of course, all prior to the idea of air space.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    I think he says that more for players that played the game. I would be with you but he tows the line big time when it comes to talking about current players that he knows / is friends with.
    Stephen A is pretty much known for trying to establish what relationship he has with you, a cringe in its own right, then either be a ******ger, or verbally assaults them as both quotes implied.

it's always personal with Stephen A. who like 3ba11, tries to hold onto the past, and fails to embrace the present.

21 year old Cousy wouldn't even be drafted in today's game.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    21 year old Cousy wouldn't even be drafted in today's game.
    How in the hell do u know? It's not like there isn't basic white dudes around his size in the league. Shit Payton Prichard is playing on the best team in the east right now. If he can play 15 min a game for one of the best teams in the league I'm sure Cousy with hindsight would be just fine

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    How in the hell do u know? It's not like there isn't basic white dudes around his size in the league. Shit Payton Prichard is playing on the best team in the east right now. If he can play 15 min a game for one of the best teams in the league I'm sure Cousy with hindsight would be just fine
    He couldn't shoot, was a below average athlete, & couldn't play defense. He would suck today.

Let's give Cousy his respect, he changed the PG position, probably the first playmaking guard. But this is a dude who peaked in the mid 50's, almost 70 years ago, 95-98% of players back then wouldn't make the NBA today. It's pretty damn obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    well, considering you've probably only watched NBA players from the past decade, it doesn't matter what you take serious.

But, if we remove tweener F's like LeBron and KD (which I hate to do, but hey, "positionless basketball" era), there's pretty much just Bird and Dr. J as definitive competition to Baylor. I'll give you Bird being the #1 SF. But then Baylor is easily in the convo as 2nd best behind Bird. And if you're easily considered #2, then it's not unreasonable for someone to think you are #1.
    What kinda nonsense is this Sorry, we don't get to remove LeBron & KD from the discussion for that bogus reason, then keep Bird who was playing PF early in his career.

Dr. J would get consensus consideration for being ranked ahead of Baylor, and you're crazy if you don't think Havlicek at minimum meets "definitive competition".

And Chris "Mad Dog" Russo was wrong on several points in this video, or at least unintentionally disingenuous. He didn't know how the OKC Game 5 in 2014 unfolded, believing CP3 missed FT's at the end of the game when he never even attempted one, and didn't know which game CP3 shat the bed in the Finals, it was Game 4, not Game 5.

As for his Bob Cousy point, he made All-NBA First Team in Oscar & West's rookie year, where Oscar also made the First Team and West wasn't even All-NBA. Once the two of them became All-NBA players, Cousy never made the All-NBA First Team again. He also legitimately didn't even know if CP3 ever made the All-NBA First Team

I know Mad Dog is a sports broadcasting icon due to his time with Mike Francesa, but it's a really bad look when he just flatly doesn't know what he's talking about. I would trust JJ Redick's NBA opinion far more than his.
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 05-20-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Jj reddick is retarded

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    He couldn't shoot, was a below average athlete, & couldn't play defense. He would suck today.

Let's give Cousy his respect, he changed the PG position, probably the first playmaking guard. But this is a dude who peaked in the mid 50's, almost 70 years ago, 95-98% of players back then wouldn't make the NBA today. It's pretty damn obvious.
    He couldn't shoot? He played forever ago in a different era. I swear people on this forum are retarded. Do you think players now in the 50's would shoot this way without hindsight? Of course they wouldn't. You guys talk about this shit like it's a back to the future scenario.

NBA All-star

He couldn't shoot? He played forever ago in a different era. I swear people on this forum are retarded. Do you think players now in the 50's would shoot this way without hindsight? Of course they wouldn't. You guys talk about this shit like it's a back to the future scenario.
    based on the back to the future scenario, people from the 50's still don't know how to use a smart phone.

The time machine argument is dumb. Let Cousy grow up in this era with modern training, nutrition, wearing proper shoes and playing under modern rules... Great players would be great in any era. And you can only judge someone for what they did in THEIR ERA. Cousy won an MVP and was the floor general for the most dominant dynasty in pro sports. Led the league in assists 8 times. I don't think Cousy is definitely better than CP3 but he may have a greater legacy. At least it's debatable.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

You said he would be just fine today. What benefit would Cousy bring to a team today if he couldn't shoot & play defense?

Teams would feast on him.

Imagine Cousy trying to guard LeBron James.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    You said he would be just fine today. What benefit would Cousy bring to a team today if he couldn't shoot & play defense?

Teams would feast on him.
    He'd write a pretty good script I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    The time machine argument is dumb. Let Cousy grow up in this era with modern training, nutrition, wearing proper shoes and playing under modern rules... Great players would be great in any era. And you can only judge someone for what they did in THEIR ERA. Cousy won an MVP and was the floor general for the most dominant dynasty in pro sports. Led the league in assists 8 times. I don't think Cousy is definitely better than CP3 but he may have a greater legacy. At least it's debatable.