Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #46
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!
 
BurningHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BMO Field
Posts: 8,811
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
In terms of in-ring wrestling, Rock was a bit underrated as he was one of the best sellers of all-time. People don't seem to give credit to the art of selling.

When talking about Rock's greatness, people usually talk about his mic skills, popularity, etc...but rarely about his in-ring stuff.
He can't even perform Sharpshooter right.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #47
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!
 
BurningHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BMO Field
Posts: 8,811
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
People forget that the fans hated and rejected the Rock at first. It took him several years to find a gimmick that got him over.

Goldberg got over as an unknown during his very first match, and never slowed down. Not many wrestlers in history can claim that.

Also, although Goldberg wasn't Bret Hart or Kurt Angle in the ring, his power and intensity was among the most impressive of all time.
Goldberg Jackhammering Big Show and another on DDP with a severely injured shoulder were highlights.

Yeah, at the end, Goldberg vs DDP is the only career highlight match he has.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #48
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 10,271
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Can The Rock do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfe97YzHmPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkQfWiZtPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzamdNMaVCM

JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #49
pinhead
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: England
Posts: 647
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

British Bulldog
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #50
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....


You want to talk about skills and them you bring up that garbage from Goldberg.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #51
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

I think technical ability is highly overrated especially in the sport of professional wrestling. If this was real life then I would value it much higher. The fact of the matter is, you are only as technical as your opponent allows you to be. The Rock can work a technical match and I have seen him do that during his Maivia days and his short comeback against Cena.

The fact that he can be GOAT status or the GOAT is really a testament to how great he was.

If you guys have ever seen the Rock in person you guys would clearly see why he is GOAT. He moves around the ring so effortlessly, sells his ass off like HBK, and his athletic ability alone is pretty good.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #52
warriorfan
The Bully
 
warriorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,644
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

everyone do themselves a favor and stop watching wrestling after you turn 11 or 12
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #53
Knicks101
Hustle Loyalty Respect
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CENATION
Posts: 40,730
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

The Rock isn't even the undisputed GOAT in one category let alone overall. The closest he probably comes is charisma but you could make a case for Hogan.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #54
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star
 
Charlie Sheen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
everyone do themselves a favor and stop watching wrestling after you turn 11 or 12

Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #55
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
The Rock isn't even the undisputed GOAT in one category let alone overall. The closest he probably comes is charisma but you could make a case for Hogan.

So suddenly in a scripted or fake sport such as wrestling, we are going to have a criteria?

He's only good because of charisma?

This is the scripted game....there is no way of evaluating these guys on technical ability. Everyone has technical ability if allowed to.

Therefore, something like charm, charisma and mic skills are the defining factors to GOAT.

Look at someone like Flair, he wrestles the same match and style every time but people consider him GOAT. Heck, if Flair is GOAT, then the Rock is GOD.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #56
Knicks101
Hustle Loyalty Respect
 
Knicks101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CENATION
Posts: 40,730
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
So suddenly in a scripted or fake sport such as wrestling, we are going to have a criteria?

He's only good because of charisma?

This is the scripted game....there is no way of evaluating these guys on technical ability. Everyone has technical ability if allowed to.

Therefore, something like charm, charisma and mic skills are the defining factors to GOAT.

Look at someone like Flair, he wrestles the same match and style every time but people consider him GOAT. Heck, if Flair is GOAT, then the Rock is GOD.

Pretty sure you were making this exact same argument a couple of years ago and it was just as dumb then as it is now.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #57
ThePhantomCreep
College star
 
ThePhantomCreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,958
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
I think technical ability is highly overrated especially in the sport of professional wrestling. If this was real life then I would value it much higher. The fact of the matter is, you are only as technical as your opponent allows you to be. The Rock can work a technical match and I have seen him do that during his Maivia days and his short comeback against Cena.

The fact that he can be GOAT status or the GOAT is really a testament to how great he was.

If you guys have ever seen the Rock in person you guys would clearly see why he is GOAT. He moves around the ring so effortlessly, sells his ass off like HBK, and his athletic ability alone is pretty good.

If ring work is as unimportant as you say (nonsense, but I'll play along)...

Hogan >> Rock

Hogan was a terrible wrestler, but he carried two organizations to the top spot in two separate decades, once as a face and the other as a heel. He held the top spot FAAAAR longer than Rocky as well.

I much prefer Rocky to Hogan, but those are the facts.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #58
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,739
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....




The best there is. The best there was. The best there ever will be.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #59
jayfan
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Top 3 overall performers (working, selling, talking, drawing) -

Flair
Rhodes
Austin


.
jayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #60
HarryCallahan
Banned
 
HarryCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,455
Default Re: The GOAT Wrestler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfan
Top 3 overall performers (working, selling, talking, drawing) -

Flair
Rhodes

Austin


.

No. Austin, Rock, Goldberg, Sting, Nash, Hall, Hogan are in a league of their own when it comes to being a draw.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy