Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

Amendment 2 - the Right to Bear Arms 12/15/1791
    A well organized Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed.

In your constitution it clearly states the the right to bare arms is that of the Militia not of the average Joe. the militia are citizens who in times of national security will join up under the control of the president.

Is Gil in a militia...hell no! therefore it is an offense under your constitution for him to bare arms. The last time I checked any form of gun is a firearm whether loaded or not.

Interestingly this would most probably mean 99% of gun holder in the US are committing a constitutional offense. Why then does your government not take all guns away from the public, surely it would solve a lot of problems?

And despite all of that...who the fukc takes a gun to work. OMG how dumb can you be...?
    Last edited by LuppersGB; 01-15-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spree43
    Agreed, the Wizards should be doing all they can to help Arenas, they aren't and this doesnt look good

Its pretty obvious why they want to void the contract and I'm pretty sure it isnt a valid reason
    The man brought firearms into their facilities for a prank. That is a perfectly valid reason to fire someone. If I was in their position I wouldn't want him as an employee either. Why are people taking shots at the Wizards? Would you feel safe knowing one of your teammates likes to joke around and intimidate others with guns?

I don't think he should face heavy jail time, but losing his contract is perfectly reasonable, regardless of how much money it's worth.

Last edited by SayTownRy; 01-15-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuppersGB
    Why then does your government not take all guns away from the public, surely it would solve a lot of problems?
    can't be done, there's too many. you'd render the law abiding, registered gun owners gunless and the unregistered/black market gun owners armed. it would create more problems than it would solve.

people that are in such an emotionally irrational state that they feel the need to do harm to others are going to carry out their actions in any manner possible - see knives, explosives, obtaining guns illegally...

personally, i don't want the only people in this country with guns to be the government and the police.

look at the pacification of gunless societies. in the UK you can't even legally protect your own home with a kitchen knife.

Quote Originally Posted by SayTownRy
    in the UK you can't even legally protect your own home with a kitchen knife.
    you can if they have a gun

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Amendment 2 - the Right to Bear Arms 12/15/1791
    A well organized Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed.

In your constitution it clearly states the the right to bare arms is that of the Militia not of the average Joe. the militia are citizens who in times of national security will join up under the control of the president.
    No it does not clearly state that you blithering idiot. In order to form a well organized militia(if necessary) the right for people to keep and bear arms is necessary to guarantee a free state. Obviously this is meant to keep an oppressive government in check. What don't you get by the "right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed"? You think the "people" means the government or people "under control" of the president? If a person can only bear arms under control of a president or King, why would there need to be a Constitutional Amendment for it? You truly are a dolt. Go back to your blood pudding, bangers and mash, your kickball and stop preaching to us our own legislation.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease thejusman1's Avatar

I hope to live in a world where you can buy alcohol, guns, drugs, and fireworks at a drive-thru and use them all before you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    No it does not clearly state that you blithering idiot. In order to form a well organized militia(if necessary) the right for people to keep and bear arms is necessary to guarantee a free state. Obviously this is meant to keep an oppressive government in check. What don't you get by the "right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed"? You think the "people" means the government or people "under control" of the president? If a person can only bear arms under control of a president or King, why would there need to be a Constitutional Amendment for it? You truly are a dolt. Go back to your blood pudding, bangers and mash, your kickball and stop preaching to us our own legislation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...s_Constitution

Read about 2/5ths down "meaning of to keep and bare arms"
    it quotes several academics as saying this right is only constituted to those who are in a militia and believe it or not, not everyone is part of that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...s_Constitution

Read about 2/5ths down "meaning of to keep and bare arms"
    it quotes several academics as saying this right is only constituted to those who are in a militia and believe it or not, not everyone is part of that
    What difference does it make what "several" academics give as their interpretation of the the 2nd Amendment on a wiki link? The Supreme Court has already stated that the 2nd amendment pertains to an individual's right. Even the 9th Circuit Court, the most liberal court in the nation, says that the 2nd Amendment applies to individuals for matters of self-defense.

Gun rights are getting more recognition from the courts than ever before. The Supreme Court recently knocked down DC's 30 year handgun ban. Arenas would be in really, really deep crap if they hadn't. In 29 states almost any sane non-criminal can carry a concealed pistol now, and almost every state allows business owners to carry concealed pistols. There are even a few cities which say gun ownership is mandatory. Gun rights are probably stronger now than they have ever been in the history of the USA.

you can if they have a gun
    you better be pretty handy with your knife to have a chance in that scenario.

seems to me like UK law is stacked against the property owner and in favor of the intruder. again, weakening the populace...

Does Gilbert Arenas get a paycheck?
    Yes.

Did Gilbert Arenas take firearms to his place of employment?
    Yes.

btw, a construction site isn't an office either, but its still an area where work takes place. McDonalds isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place. A lawn isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place.

The building where Gilbert plays basketball,

is where his work takes place.
    Specious logic-chopping. First, Gilbert doesn't do any work in the locker room. The locker room is where players keep their stuff while they're working. It's where they go after they're done working, and before. But can I say this again? It's a place where you store stuff. A construction site is where you construct things. The equivalent for a construction worker doing this would be to leave the gun in the car he carpools there in. Or in the tool shed. Which is only immoral if he uses it in any threatening way with others. And which should be a felony only if it poses some danger to somebody, like if there are bullets in or near it or if it's out in the open.

It's not just for Gil to go jail for a very long period of time for this, and I hate to say this, but it's also not just for him to lose his contract over this. I think players should lose their contracts for poor quality of play, but that's not how it works. Teams promise their players money. For the Wiz to look at this harmless, very much not-immoral incident as an opportunity to undo a contract they'd like to take back is unjust. If this contract gets undid, there are dozens of others that should get undid also. Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan: did Gilbert hit anyone? Did Gil cause anyone harm? No. Gil hugs fans, and tosses them his jersey. He also made the Wizards a lot of money by getting them into the playoffs for the first time in decades, something Michael Jordan himself couldn't do, for several years consecutively. Now he's starting to lose his touch, the Wizards think they can do better.... tough beanos jack. You already signed him to a bad contract. This is a mistake every team has made at some point or other. Why should you get out of it because of a technicality.

**** him, its people like him who make gun owners look bad
    NO. It's people who kill or threaten people with their guns who make gun owners look bad. If people weren't killing and threatening people with guns, Gil wouldn't have to register his guns in the first place. Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.

Now if he's busting it out and loading it and pointing it at teammates, again, my view on that is that he should get pounded. I'm very specific in what I'm addressing. We don't totally know the story, or at least I don't. I'm assuming all he did was keep a couple unloaded, unregistered guns in his locker and now the sports media (no doubt fueled by Wizards management who have a hundred million bucks and lots of cap room to gain) is on a witch hunt.

Is Gil in a militia...hell no! therefore it is an offense under your constitution for him to bare arms. The last time I checked any form of gun is a firearm whether loaded or not.

Interestingly this would most probably mean 99% of gun holder in the US are committing a constitutional offense.
    That's an awesome interpretation of constutional law, provided you're a third-grader.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan
    Artest was an elite top 10 player at the time, making 6 mil/year. That was NOT going to happen.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Gilbert's getting sentenced in 8 weeks. Sounds like he's doing time, max of 6 months.

Artest was an elite top 10 player at the time, making 6 mil/year. That was NOT going to happen.
    Exactly. He kept his contract because the owners were making money off him. The Wizards' owners are losing money off Arenas, so they want to void his contract, for "moral reasons." Even the argument that he's a PR nightmare and embarassing to the franchise falls apart when you consider that. If the Wizards stuck up for the guy they made the decision to name their franchise player (that's what you're doing when you offer a guy $20 mil more than any other team might even threaten to offer), it would probably be much less of a PR issue. I'm sure they're either stoking the fires or encouraging them to be stoked behind the scenes.

I was on the Wizards side on this until I really thought through what it means. Until it became serious. I wanted to see Gil get voided because he's overpaid and I wanted to see the Wizards maybe become relevant again. But this isn't how I want to see the contract situation become reasonable. I hate seeing a franchise be destroyed by a bad contract as much as the next guy but this is obviously contrived.