Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anybody Ever Done Warehouse Work?

I send in a lot of stuff to sell with FBA, don't fk it up.

Make sure you're technique is solid when it comes to lifting different objects. I'm guessing they'll go over that with you. I worked in a concrete warehouse over the summer. I had to constantly lift 20-30 pounds of rebar. My back was hurting really bad after the first couple days. Wasn't lifting correctly. Anyways good luck!

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    oh..thought you said whorehouse ( leaves thread)
    You were gonna give blow job advice?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    oh..thought you said whorehouse ( leaves thread)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

The day you have an fatal accident and never post again will be the day will all rejoice.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

I did for a year my forklift whip game is nasty.

I work as a security guard at a warehouse, and I can tell you now that just from me watching these people work that shit is intense. These people go home looking both physically and mentally broken. Then they come back the next day to do the same shit all over again.
    A lot of new people quit within the first week of working there, and it seems like everyone who quits working at a warehouse is quick to come up with bullshit excuses instead of simply admitting the work is too much for them.

As others have suggested, pack a large meal and try to stay hydrated. Don't do anything half-assedly because I've seen what happens to people when they get too comfortable lifting shit and not focusing on what they're doing any more.
    Paid leave might sound great, but the injuries suck balls. Giant ones. King Kong sized.

Oh, also, there's a dude who's been working at the warehouse I guard for ~3 months. He went from an overweight slob looking motherfucker to now being pretty damn toned. He told me it was because of the warehouse work and that he doesn't workout at all during his free time.

Just figured that might be some useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Oh, also, there's a dude who's been working at the warehouse I guard for ~3 months. He went from an overweight slob looking motherfucker to now being pretty damn toned. He told me it was because of the warehouse work and that he doesn't workout at all during his free time.

Just figured that might be some useful info.
    I can attest to that. When I moved up to Wisconsin I was 185lbs. I worked at a floor/roof truss plant for 1.5 years. I ate horribly 5 days a week (mostly Burger King and McDonald's) and I lost 25 pounds over 5 months probably becuase I was burning 2000+ calories a day from work alone, not counting my regular calories I burn to stay alive.. I was insanely thin looking. but I was toned as well. Then when I left that job I went from 160 to eventually 240 after 5 years. Right now I'm been between 180 and 185 the last 3 months. Eating right and working out.

Future D1 Dad

yes but not in as big of a place. i used the stand-up fork truck and it was pretty fun to drive. got one stuck in between the end of the dock and the back of a trailer that was getting ready to drive off. that was embarrassing.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    $12/hr for seasonal work is pretty reasonable.
    Really? I know the cost of living is less there but damn that sounds like nothing for such hard work. Minimum wage here is $15.59 for anyone over 20.

I did a year of factory work. It sucked, that's just my personal opinion. I'm big into fitness, but this was just like putting a big unnecessary strain on my body. My legs, arms, back, hands were always sore, I was breathing in dust all day, and it's miserable being in a place with no windows especially in the summer time. The actual work I could handle it, but the work environment, i'll pass especially for the $12/hr they were paying me.

As for advice, bring plenty of water, get comfortable shoes as people have suggested. Nothing worse than having some crappy uncomfortable shoes that you have to walk around in all day. As was said don't try and re-invent the wheel. And to me, one of the most important things I learned, if something seems unsafe, don't do it. Factory jobs often turn a blind eye to people who do risky maneuvers because they generally are most concerned about production. But the only person who will be affected in the long term if you have a major injury is you.

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Really? I know the cost of living is less there but damn that sounds like nothing for such hard work. Minimum wage here is $15.59 for anyone over 20.
    Hard work?

It's a physical job, but it's not a hard job. Anyone with no physical disabilities can do it and it requires no qualifications of any kind, those factors equal a low paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Hard work?

It's a physical job, but it's not a hard job. Anyone with no physical disabilities can do it and it requires no qualifications of any kind, those factors equal a low paying job.
    Well I get paid $26.50 /hr to stand at a door or watch drunk fks.

The guy who said he was warehouse security, how much you getting?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore matt1016's Avatar

I worked in a large, warehouse-like U.S. Postal Service facility for a few years when I was in my early 20's. My body held up okay, and I wasn't really all that strong back then. Like everyone else advised, use proper lifting techniques and your body will adapt (after some initial soreness)

I remember bringing an extra bagel to add to my lunch and trying to find places to sit down any chance I got. My waistline did get slimmer with all the extra movement.

My brother transferred out of the facility and started carrying mail as a substitute mailman. He had to mace some crazy dogs on his route --one broke through a window screen to try to get at him!