Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Official Pinoy Thread

Basketball is not for us to dominate , let's just admit and enjoy playing the game
    i believe its not our time now but it will come a time will have someone that will shine overseas

Default Re: Official Pinoy Thread

Pinoy Pride!

A lot of people ask me why we still stick to basketball even though we are not built for it, answer is because we enjoy playing the game.

Imagine if we were not "sold" by the spanish, we'd probably be playing futsal instead of basketball after work.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

didnt know that gasolina is pinoy too ... ive asked the same question to myself many times as well... i think we are getting there ... the problem is the drive to get there i mean if am a son of a rich pba player i would definitely ask my parents to send me abroad to the states to be exact and support my needs to be in a good highschool prep program that way i get to be better in everything..

am not saying that training here sucks but lets face it training abroad is better because if you train here and you are like 6 foot 2 in 6th grade you would be playing center here however abroad you can be a shooting guard which is just right. The height of making it to the nba is already there we have guys like buenafe and silva who is 6'5 but because he was taught to play big he has a problem adjusting now. if silva is taught to play the two guard when he was still in highschool he wouldnt have problem adjusting his game ...buenafe on the other hand has the skills of a point guard but has no hops.. plus here before you make it big you would have to finish college first or atleast be 21 years old to make it to pro. other countries you just have to be that good for you to be pro look at ricky rubio he started playing professionally at the age of 14years old.

its just a matter of having the right training and less distractions ... hopefully before i die i get to see a pure pinoy make it to the nba one can only dream but we are already making noise when it comes to asian games so we are a step closer..

To Veilside.

Spot on. Not only formal training but also how you play on pick up games as well.

I don't live in the Phils. right now and when I left I used to play forward on pickup games. When I played here abroad I had to develop a 3pt shot and improve my handles to play the wings.

One of the best things a non-filipino had told me is that whenever you have a filipino in your team, you're guaranteed he can play, dribble, shoot the medium range jumper, and hit cutters.

On the bad side, we are very well know to play dirty.

Serious playground baller Wicked_1's Avatar

mabuhay pinoy!

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina

That's old school Filipino ball. lol. I know it well. Everytime I play against older guys from the "old country" something happens to me. Especially when I start to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Elf
    That's old school Filipino ball. lol. I know it well. Everytime I play against older guys from the "old country" something happens to me. Especially when I start to dominate.
    Also, the fact that one can never win a close game when visiting another court.

To Veilside.

Spot on. Not only formal training but also how you play on pick up games as well.

I don't live in the Phils. right now and when I left I used to play forward on pickup games. When I played here abroad I had to develop a 3pt shot and improve my handles to play the wings.

One of the best things a non-filipino had told me is that whenever you have a filipino in your team, you're guaranteed he can play, dribble, shoot the medium range jumper, and hit cutters.

yup you are right about the things in bold.. anyway how long have you been in the states and i guess you are in memphis ?

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    yup you are right about the things in bold.. anyway how long have you been in the states and i guess you are in memphis ?
    Nahh I don't live in the states. I live somewhere in the Caribbean (don't ask where). Been living here for 3 years now.

Also, I believe black guys are the hardest to play against.

You seem to be in the same time zone, where do you live now?

pinas ...am in manila just work in a callcenter bro... thats why my time zone is the same as the east side... caribbean is like pinas however its cleaner there ...

gotta agree black guys is essentially what we need .. just look at the imports that plays in the PBa they really dominate here but suck even when they were in college it just goes to show that training and pick up games there are better. whats good about pinoys is that at a young age .. youngesters know how to shoot and has good accuracy not all are good ball handlers but if trained it wont be a problem. If young pinoys will thrive in playing in a highschool prep in the states our chances will be better... i know filams play good like kelly williams j washington but they were scrubs when they were in the states in the first place if they were that good they should have stayed there ...

Not really the case. If you'd look at Spain / Lithuania / Argentina, they can really match up against the Americans.

I guess a few more years and better nutrition for players would do better. The main thing that keeps us from being tall aside from genes is the lack of proper nutrition.

I guarantee if you feed your kid 100% beef and salads (keep off the rice and noodles) they can grow up to be pretty tall as well. I remember my cousins before they left for Canada when we were kids. Last time I saw them was in 2002 and they were both really tall.

Getting good competition is a good thing, but you can only be as good as your body allows you to be, which is whats holding back Philippine basketball

other countries are matching up against the us because they have a strong government that supports sports here nah.. the senators would either discuss who got the biggest share in a jueteng or a scandal that involves money than to focus in whats the problem.. problem is corruption as well here a baranggay chairman saves money for a new business than to purchase a basketball court and a covered court..

anyway dont want to rant about something that might not change forever so i think basketball greats in the past if they have kids that are quite tall .. they should spend their money sending their kids to school in america than to waste it here gambling and doing crazy stuff... i know its expensive but if a pinoy youngster will be that good scholarship wont be a problem.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

To Veilside.

I am not filipino,but I play in Scotland and have played friendly games with a filipino team(loads of filipinos near Inverness with the shipyards) several times and I have to say they always give 110 percent effort,all have great fundamentals,as you say they all can shoot the mid range shot(which is rare nowadays)they can all handle the ball,but more importantly despite their size they rebound really well,really strong boxing out.ultimately the lack of height lets them down.

pinoy astig