Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Baron Davis Contract Status

By Geoff Lepper

STAFF WRITER
Article Created: 05/09/2008 08:28:38 PM PDT

OAKLAND -- Callers waiting to leave voicemail for Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin are serenaded by the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Never has that been more true for Golden State point guard Baron Davis.

After weeks of informal conversations, Davis' agent, Todd Ramasar, met with Warriors officials Thursday to discuss a potential contract extension for his client. But the talks failed to provide any satisfaction for Davis, a two-time All-Star who just turned 29.

In fact, the sides were so far apart in what they perceive as Davis' worth that Ramasar brought up the specter of Davis using his opt-out clause to void the final year on his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

"After sitting down with the Warriors organization (Thursday) regarding Baron's future, I don't know what direction the Warriors are going," Ramasar told the Times. "Baron is adamant about remaining a Warrior but based on my conversations with the team (Thursday), we have to consider all of his options."

A source close to Davis said it's now a 50-50 chance that the Warriors' captain, coming off a season in which he averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds, will not remain beyond next season after various contract offers that were so low as to be practically hurtful....

http://origin.insidebayarea.com/sanm...mes/ci_9212919
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Baron Davis Contract Status

Personally, I think he will stay for his final season and then test the free agent market. I don't see anyone giving him 17 million, or any type of contract over 3 years.

I love B-Diddy, but I don't want to pay him 17 million (or anywhere near that). I would actualy prefer if he opted out this year so we could start moving in a new direction.

Resigning Ellis and Biedrins (yes, Biedrins) should be our first priority. As I stated in another thread, I think we need to dump our veteran salaries and look to rebuild in the next few seasons. We played our hearts out this year and where did it get us? The 9th seed and no chance at landing a top pick like Beasely, Rose, or Love.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

I feel that the two only must re-signs are Baron Davis and Andris Biedrins. Here is my reasoning:

You can look through the league and notice that the two toughest positions to fill are the point guard and center spots. You look at the stars of today and see that most are shooting guards and forwards. Players like James, Kobe, Pierce, Allen, KG, Marion, Redd, Carter, Jamison, Boozer, Duncan and McGrady. Stars or not, they are the cream of the crop. Then you have your up and comers like Josh Smith, Horford, Thornton, Iguodala, Stoudemire, Jefferson, Gay, and Brandon Roy. How many star points are there in the league? Paul, D.Williams, Kidd, Nash, Arenas, Billups and you'd have to lump Baron Davis in with those names. Looking at the center positions; you have Yao and Howard. Looking at all those names, how many of those are 6'3 shooting guards. How many 6'2-6'4 shooting guards are there in the league? Barbosa, Ewing, Head, West, McCants, Willie Green, House, Charlie Bell, Fred Jones, Quincy Douby, Dixon, Hunter, Andre Owens, Reddick, Gordon and I can probably name a few more. For every Dwayne Wade, there's one of those guys or players like AJ Guyton and DeJuan Wagner that never even really made it. Dwayne Wade isn't on my list of great of players either. My point is? Replacing a 6'3 shooting guard is easy. Getting a great point guard or center is much harder.
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Personally, I think he will stay for his final season and then test the free agent market. I don't see anyone giving him 17 million, or any type of contract over 3 years.

I love B-Diddy, but I don't want to pay him 17 million (or anywhere near that). I would actualy prefer if he opted out this year so we could start moving in a new direction.

Resigning Ellis and Biedrins (yes, Biedrins) should be our first priority. As I stated in another thread, I think we need to dump our veteran salaries and look to rebuild in the next few seasons. We played our hearts out this year and where did it get us? The 9th seed and no chance at landing a top pick like Beasely, Rose, or Love.

Agreed with everything you just said.
Ellis and Biedrins are the future.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: