Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

Quote Originally Posted by troyceps33
    See... I knew I've seen players do it before. Players should do it more often like Dwight did.

If this was regularly taught and practiced, it could be done more. I think most players just have the natural reaction to swat it away because they never think about grabbing it instead.

Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    because if you go up with 1 arm you can reach higher, but if u try to grab with 2 hands your not going as high. going up with 1 arm and swatting it will give you efficient results. trying to grab the ball, will result in minimal turnovers and even cost you baskets if you dont get a hand on the ball.
    I'm talking about grabbing it with one hand like pulling down a high pass or reaching up for a rebound with one hand and pulling it down like when a player slaps the ball hard with the off hand.

Just watch the video posted above of Dwight doing it.

National High School Star KDthunderup's Avatar

They wouldnt really be blocked shots then, wouldnt they be more steals?

Have you ever played basketball, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'm guessing the answer is no

Yes, and I've done it, which is how I know it can be done.

College superstar

That's why Bill Russell would apply a light touch to his blocked shots, tapping it towards a teammate or tapping it upwards to transform the block into a rebounding opportunity. Compared to Wilt who had the habit of sending the ball out of bounds when blocking a shot. Crowd pleasing, sure, but it's not smart to give your opponent another go at the basket. I believe he did that in order to maximize the intimidation factor. Even his coach Butch van Breda Kolff complained to Wilt that knocking the ball out of bounds allows the opponent to retain possession of the ball. Kolff pointed out that Russell kept the ball in play when he blocked shots.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Yes, and I've done it, which is how I know it can be done.
    At what level?

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    That's why Bill Russell would apply a light touch to his blocked shots, tapping it towards a teammate or tapping it upwards to transform the block into a rebounding opportunity. Compared to Wilt who had the habit of sending the ball out of bounds when blocking a shot. Crowd pleasing, sure, but it's not smart to give your opponent another go at the basket. I believe he did that in order to maximize the intimidation factor. Even his coach Butch van Breda Kolff complained to Wilt that knocking the ball out of bounds allows the opponent to retain possession of the ball. Kolff pointed out that Russell kept the ball in play when he blocked shots.
    Good info. This thread pretty much proves my point that people are set in their ways and refuse to think outside the box.

Any suggestion of something a little unorthodox and people jump all over it saying it doesn't work, when it has worked and I've seen it work.

I just think it needs to be used more.

It would be extremely hard to just grab the ball out of the air, however it's not very hard to just lightly tap the ball to a teammate and not swat it 10 rows out of bounds. The only reason guys swat it 10 rows out of bounds is because they think it's cool and they can scream and hit their chest about it, rather than keeping the play going.

At what level?
    Division II.

In high school we went to state twice, winning the 5A title as a junior and losing my senior year.

If you're asking what level I grabbed a block, it was my junior year in high school.
    Last edited by bmd; 03-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.

There's a reason why these professional basketball players don't do it- it's because it is pretty damn hard. If you swat the ball, you are just slapping the side of the basketball, but if you grab it you would need to cover half of the basketball. It is doable but the ball must be travelling very slowly and you should also jump at the right time.

The hard part is in-game situations where everything is so quick and you would need to rely on your reflexes, hence you only have time to hit the side of the ball.

I've been saying the same thing for years. Well, I just always felt they could swat the ball with a little less force so they can keep it in play.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    I've been saying the same thing for years. Well, I just always felt they could swat the ball with a little less force so they can keep it in play.
    That, too.

Not airballing my layups anymore garubu's Avatar

Last edited by garubu; 03-09-2013 at 09:06 PM.