Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you get more nervous for? Phone interviews or in-person interviews?

I'm waiting on a call right now from a potential employer for a phone screening, and I'm more nervous for this than I was in person for another interview I went on last week. Sure, I'm not going to be grilled on my Cisco knowledge by three people this time, but I'd much rather sit face to face with someone as I'm great with body language, eye contact, etc. Hopefully, this'll turn into a real interview and I can show my stuff.

What do you guys prefer?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: What do you get more nervous for? Phone interviews or in-person interviews?

for a phone interview, you don't even have to wear pants or shave. you can also pick your underwear any time if it got stuck. can you do that with 3 people sitting across front of you? i don't think so.

Good college starter

Default Re: What do you get more nervous for? Phone interviews or in-person interviews?

About the same for both. For me, it's the waiting that gets me anxious. Once I actually start talking to the interviewer, I get a lot more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    About the same for both. For me, it's the waiting that gets me anxious. Once I actually start talking to the interviewer, I get a lot more relaxed.

No shit. They should have called me 20 minutes ago, and I'm over here chain smoking.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    No shit. They should have called me 20 minutes ago, and I'm over here chain smoking.
    Haha. If I think about it, phone interviews get me more nervous. At least with in-person you know the exact time you have to meet the interviewer, so you come a little early and relax. I had a phone interview last week and the closer the time came, the more I just wanted to get it over with.

I think I get more nervous in person, but once I get passed the first question I settle down and feel more confident.

-Brook

Banned

phone because sometimes you can't tell when its coming and you might also be worried about missing the call so there is some anxiety there. as for the call itself, I feel that it is hard to gauge how the interview is going just by voice and without body language and facial expressions.

It's been an hour, no call yet.

EDIT: Called ten minutes after that, I'm being considered for 2 different positions. Second interview Tuesday.
    Last edited by code green; 11-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Haha. If I think about it, phone interviews get me more nervous. At least with in-person you know the exact time you have to meet the interviewer, so you come a little early and relax. I had a phone interview last week and the closer the time came, the more I just wanted to get it over with.
    Yea over the phone for me. You can't connect with the person as well... it's all verbal.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    It's been an hour, no call yet.

EDIT: Called ten minutes after that, I'm being considered for 2 different positions. Second interview Tuesday.
    Congrats. Is it a developer position?

Love Live Life

In person

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Phone for me. In person they can see your non verbal communication and you can persuade them with other factors.

They say a good trick for phone interviews is looking at yourself speak(when talking on the phone) in front of the mirror.

Prefer in-person interviews by a mile. Easier to turn the charm on meanwhile phone interviews can feel stiff and awkward depending on the interviewer

read a few articles to get your motor skills up and your brain activity high.

Congrats. Is it a developer position?
    The first position is level one support for companies that hire the company I applied for if they have issues with their LAN. Second position is going from site to site to work on projects assigned to me. I'd prefer the second, obviously. I'd get a good chance to leave the state (sometimes for up to a few months), which kinda sucks because my girl would be bummed, but I've never done much traveling.