Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone sorta sick of the Michael Sam talk? (NO HATE)

Do not oppose gays at all.

But people are talking about educating players and changing the way they talk in locker rooms? Just heard this spewed on sportscenter past day or two. Like lets think about this for a second. if anyones been in a locker room after a game or w/e knows that men are men. They will throw words around like nothing. homo slurs are among them, anything to embrace our manhood (talking about women, etc).

like idk how this kid is gonna do after he gets drafted, but I think itll be a distraction for alot of people. Like how do you treat someone equally when you feel they will get offended because of something you might say?

Banned

Default Re: Anyone sorta sick of the Michael Sam talk? (NO HATE)

I agree.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Why did he even announce his sexuality? I don't go around saying I am straight?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    fame

apparently he is also a role model now

wonder if this is also exposed to kids who are not yet ready to learn about this stuff. Do people not realize it takes a guy and girl to reproduce

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    fame

apparently he is also a role model now

wonder if this is also exposed to kids who are not yet ready to learn about this stuff. Do people not realize it takes a guy and girl to reproduce
    I just don't see how sexuality comes into it...annoying they bring it up.

Banned

i was thinking about what a sport could do to not have the gay player turn into a distraction, and my silly / unrealistic conclusion is to have a like 30 gay players enter at once. What i mean is the only way for people to get used to something is when it isn't rare, so if every team had 1 , 2 or even 3 then it just becomes the norm

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

A majority of scouts were asking about his sexuality before his abilities as a football player. When they met with people he knew, there was still a lot of inappropriate questions as they were trying to dig up whether he was gay or not. He figured he would announce it rather than continuing to deal with scouts investigating his sexuality as if he were some sort of spy.

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    i was thinking about what a sport could do to not have the gay player turn into a distraction, and my silly / unrealistic conclusion is to have a like 30 gay players enter at once. What i mean is the only way for people to get used to something is when it isn't rare, so if every team had 1 , 2 or even 3 then it just becomes the norm
    Once this is familiar, the next big thing will be 2 athletes in the same sport being a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    A majority of scouts were asking about his sexuality before his abilities as a football player. When they met with people he knew, there was still a lot of inappropriate questions as they were trying to dig up whether he was gay or not. He figured he would announce it rather than continuing to deal with scouts investigating his sexuality as if he were some sort of spy.
    Why are the scouts even asking? If he can play football than cool

I don't know, but they made it a big deal before he did, yet there are bunch of people mad that he "made an announcement" and is "making a big deal about being gay."

Because sports teams are historically homophobic... not to mention the areas where fanbases for some NFL teams are extremely anti-gay... did you really need to ask?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

He loves tackling

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Because sports teams are historically homophobic... not to mention the areas where fanbases for some NFL teams are extremely anti-gay... did you really need to ask?
    If he doesn't say anything, nobody will know? If he plays football he can't be that feminine

I think these things can definitely be taken WAYYYY to far. Take Royce White for instance. Anxiety disorders are totally an important thing to become aware of and can truly affect a player and players around him/her. However, Royce turns it into the ONLY thing that he talks about in the media. This will get you blackballed from many leagues. It's not because you have an anxiety disorder or are gay, it's that you're being a douche about it and creating a distraction when there shouldn't be one and not following chain of command. If there is a problem, handle it behind closed doors. If you have a problem with a co-worker at work, you don't stand up and yell THEY AREN'T DOING THEIR WORK! I SAW THEM!!

Btw, I'm not saying Sam is as bad as White because clearly the media were the ones that really blew this up. BUT, he can certainly take steps to contain this situation. If he doesn't, he IS just as bad as White as stated in the reasons above.

Side note: LOL @ the media calling him the 1st gay professional athlete (who didn't announce it in retirement) in the major US sports. Didn't Collins just come out last year or the year before when he was still in the league? Fckin media always trying to undermine the NBA
    Last edited by Dbrog; 02-11-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    I think these things can definitely be taken WAYYYY to far. Take Royce White for instance. Anxiety disorders are totally an important thing to become aware of and can truly affect a player and players around him/her. However, Royce turns it into the ONLY thing that he talks about in the media. This will get you blackballed from many leagues. It's not because you have an anxiety disorder or are gay, it's that you're being a douche about it and creating a distraction when there shouldn't be one and not following chain of command. If there is a problem, handle it behind closed doors. If you have a problem with a co-worker at work, you don't stand up and yell THEY AREN'T DOING THEIR WORK! I SAW THEM!!

Btw, I'm not saying Sam is as bad as White because clearly the media were the ones that really blew this up. BUT, he can certainly take steps to contain this situation. If he doesn't, he IS just as bad as White as stated in the reasons above.