Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Miller

Default Re: Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Everything you just said is invalid because of your username and avatar.
    Sad but true

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Seems to be exactly what you said here:

The only definite things that Ray was better than Reggie was being a more versatile scorer and playmaking/ ballhandling while Reggie was the better shooter with better efficiency
    And I dont care what either of them shot. I didnt even know Ray was ahead till I checked. I assumed he was lower since he shot more from outside.

But caling Reggie a better shooter than Ray just seem like something for the sake of not leaving that side empty.

There is nobody who could be listed that justifies a "Well...___ is on Rays side and shooting is on __ side".

From some specific aspects of shooting sure. But to list shooting as something on the other side of a Ray Allen argument? Just looks like a serious reach when thats the only skill you can list.

Its the one skill mentioned...

In opposition to Ray Allen.

And its shooting?

That pretty much means there is nothing to say.

You could make a better case for Reggie being abetter man to man defender than you could him being a better shooter. Its two people in discussion for the best shooters ever.

Who you feel like listing #1 doesnt matter because its too close to decide anything. You pretty much have to look at all the rest.

And all the rest falls firmly on one side....

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

And I dont care what either of them shot. I didnt even know Ray was ahead till I checked. I assumed he was lower since he shot more from outside.

But caling Reggie a better shooter than Ray just seem like something for the sake of not leaving that side empty.

There is nobody who could be listed that justifies a "Well...___ is on Rays side and shooting is on __ side".

From some specific aspects of shooting sure. But to list shooting as something on the other side of a Ray Allen argument? Just looks like a serious reach when thats the only skill you can list.

And its shooting?

You could make a better case for Reggie being abetter man to man defender than you could him being a better shooter. Its two people in discussion for the best shooters ever.

Who you feel like listing #1 doesnt matter because its too close to decide anything. You pretty much have to look at all the rest.

Are we talking about full basketball skill set or what really happens on the courts when the lights came on?

Cause if it's the first, than shit Stephon Marbury is better than Reggie Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Reggie is not even close to the top 50. Also, Ray Allen is slightly ahead of him all-time. I find Reggie Miller slightly overrated due to his popular shots and media personality.
    I agree with Reggie being overrated.

I wouldn't put him at anything lower 75. I dont think Ray Allen is slightly ahead though, he's way ahead. He has what, 14 seasons on his resume? That's longevity, plus Ray was a better shooter, just as clutch and had a time where he was actual superstar.

Putting Miller at 50 or below is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    I agree with Reggie being overrated.

I wouldn't put him at anything lower 75. I dont think Ray Allen is slightly ahead though, he's way ahead. He has what, 14 seasons on his resume? That's longevity, plus Ray was a better shooter, just as clutch and had a time where he was actual superstar.

Putting Miller at 50 or below is a joke.
    A Miller wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

And its shooting?

Career fg% between two players who mostly relied on their jumpshots doesnt mean much to you? Its not as if Reggie made a ton of layups more than ray

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    A Miller wasn't?
    In what world was Miller a superstar? Are you serious? Ray was scoring at a level Miller hasn't touched.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    In what world was Miller a superstar? Are you serious? Ray was scoring at a level Miller hasn't touched.
    When everyone knows you, you're a superstar.

Miller high, 24.6, Ray's high 26.4.

Ray was scoring slightly higher in a slightly faster paced league.

When everyone knows you, you're a superstar.

Miller high, 24.6, Ray's high 26.4.

Man f*ck pace. We've seen both of these guys plays and Ray Allen could get his shot when he wanted with or without the ball. He could defend. He could handle the ball and dish. He wasn't a Kobe, but the next level down was Ray.

Ray at his peak/prime was better than Reggie.

I have respect for both players, but Reggie is getting overrated like hell.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Are we talking about full basketball skill set or what really happens on the courts when the lights came on?

Cause if it's the first, than shit Stephon Marbury is better than Reggie Miller.
    If all I considered was total basketball playing ability Reggie would hardly be worth discussion.

But he wasnt really some dominant player either which you could easily say of a number of other guys who were just scorers.

But years and years of highlights and games that nobody has reason to remember has let a lot of people forget(or they just never knew) that the extreme vast majority of the time Reggie just made like 6 shots, 2 of them layups dropped off from Mark Jackson, hit 4 free throws, was invisible for 28 minutes and did nothing worth remembering.

Ive watched Reggie play in person and nearly forgot he was there.

He was a well fitting part of a team that didnt use him nearly as much as people seem to think. Dude ran off 2 screens then didnt get the ball like 65% of the time his team had the ball. And then they give it to Smits to get things going. Or Travis best breaks down the D with 5-6 seconds on the shot clock. Or Jalen Rose. Or Reggie jab steps twice and takes a bad shot his taent let him hit maybe 35% of the time.

He was doing the right thing. Not forcing. Being a good teammate. All that. But he just didnt do very much most of the time. He didnt need t odo much in their best years. Might score 23-24 a game in the playoffs and have people act like its a lot for a guy who does nothing else and is in the HOF.

But really...you watch a random average Reggie game...hes not going to do very much...

It might end in a clutch shot because thats the only reason its on youtube to begin with....

But the games he played most often you will never see if you didnt see them at the time because he didnt do shit worth pointing out.

Local High School Star

def didnt mean for this to turn into a ray vs reggie war lol

Banned

Are you sure about that? Ray actually played in the toughest defensive era for perimeter players in '99-'04 while Miller didn't.

Ray was easily better than Reggie. Ray could create shots and score points off the dribble, Miller really couldn't and that is the difference. You can give me all the damn accomplishments Reggie made but none of those accomplishments are note worthy and enough to give him the edge to rank him over a player like Ray who was flat out better than Reggie at just about everything.

The truth is that Ray also accomplished more than Reggie so if you really think about Reggie has no arguments at all.

Ray was not that successful prior to joining Boston but truthfully he played on some really really bad teams and bad coaches and those things are very important when it comes to making it to the post-season, going deep in the post-season, etc. Ray made it to the ECF and led his team there in 2001 and some say that his Bucks actually would have made it to the Finals if it weren't for some questionable calls in that Game 7.

Reggie always had a good team and good coaches to play with and that was why he made the playoffs every season. He didn't make it to the playoffs every season and Ray didn't because he was better. He made it every season because his team and his personal situation was better than Ray's, not because he was a better player than Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Are you sure about that? Ray actually played in the toughest defensive era for perimeter players in '99-'04 while Miller didn't.

Ray was easily better than Reggie. Ray could create shots and score points off the dribble, Miller really couldn't and that is the difference. You can give me all the damn accomplishments Reggie made but none of those accomplishments are note worthy and enough to give him the edge to rank him over a player like Ray who was flat out better than Reggie at just about everything.

The truth is that Ray also accomplished more than Reggie so if you really think about Reggie has no arguments at all.

Ray was not that successful prior to joining Boston but truthfully he played on some really really bad teams and bad coaches and those things are very important when it comes to making it to the post-season, going deep in the post-season, etc. Ray made it to the ECF and led his team there in 2001 and some say that his Bucks actually would have made it to the Finals if it weren't for some questionable calls in that Game 7.

Reggie always had a good team and good coaches to play with and that was why he made the playoffs every season. He didn't make it to the playoffs every season and Ray didn't because he was better. He made it every season because his team and his personal situation was better than Ray's, not because he was a better player than Ray.
    In that span from 99-04, Ray was about a 21-22 ppg scorer. HE didn't hit the 25-26 mark until they had the new rules and guards started goin' ape shit.

I don't deny that Ray is a better pure basketball talent, but including everything that goes into basketball, I have Reggie ranked higher.

Local High School Star

In that span from 99-04, Ray was about a 21-22 ppg scorer. HE didn't hit the 25-26 mark until they had the new rules and guards started goin' ape shit.

I don't deny that Ray is a better pure basketball talent, but including everything that goes into basketball, I have Reggie ranked higher.
    how though...ray has accomplished more then reggie as well as has better stats then him...everyones argument for reggie is intangibles but intangibles dont make up for someone having more achievements better statistics etc

Quote Originally Posted by Boston C's
    how though...ray has accomplished more then reggie as well as has better stats then him...everyones argument for reggie is intangibles but intangibles dont make up for someone having more achievements better statistics etc
    Joe Dumars has accomplished more than Reggie too, are we ranking him above Reggie also?