Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Default Re: Article: LA Times Blog - Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

Lets just pray this is the year Drew stays healthy and becomes that guy in the middle we need. I'm hopful this is the season.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Default Re: Article: LA Times Blog - Andrew Bynum, playing time, and the fourth quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
that was after his rookie season.. lot's has changed since then..one being two injuries that have sidelined him twice for nealry a full season in total... at the time one of the only things that kept me from thinking it was a good trade was the o'neal was injured alot.. with 20/20 hindsight i'd pull the trigger on that trade in a heart beat now

when you really break it down in his years as a laker he has given the team about 10 good weeks of basketball...lol the rest has been riddled with poor showings and injuries... sooner or later he has to put up or shut up, now is that time. he has the big contract he has his personal trainer, and private doctors, he has shunned laker doctors, his personal trainer is throwing little barbs vitti's way and now kareem's help has been dismissed... so to me it's time for andrew to deliver on his self induced hype

I think we both agree that Phil is a great coach. Having said, that, Im not sure if Phil has totally supported Bynum interms of protecting him from foul trouble and giving him more playing time IMO.
Most of the time, Drew get's in foul trouble early in the game, at times from helping out teammates like Fisher etc. I felt Phil could have used some of those overload-zone defenses to protect Bynum, lobby with refs on his behalf etc. Andew then picks up 2 early fouls, then gets yanked out and play like 14 minutes after the 1st quarter. It just seemed to me that Phil even tho he has not ripped this guy in public, has let Bynum suffer with this foul trouble dilemma, "OK Drew, you have 2 fouls early, you ride the bench, Im not going to babysit you, you are on your own learning from this, meanwhile im totally fine using Lamar early in the game bec. we really don't miss you that much"...
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #18
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
that was after his rookie season.. lot's has changed since then..one being two injuries that have sidelined him twice for nealry a full season in total... at the time one of the only things that kept me from thinking it was a good trade was the o'neal was injured alot.. with 20/20 hindsight i'd pull the trigger on that trade in a heart beat now

when you really break it down in his years as a laker he has given the team about 10 good weeks of basketball...lol the rest has been riddled with poor showings and injuries... sooner or later he has to put up or shut up, now is that time. he has the big contract he has his personal trainer, and private doctors, he has shunned laker doctors, his personal trainer is throwing little barbs vitti's way and now kareem's help has been dismissed... so to me it's time for andrew to deliver on his self induced hype

wow, i like this even more.. it totally reflects my feelings and frustrations with bynum.

the time is simply now. put up or shut up!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I think we both agree that Phil is a great coach. Having said, that, Im not sure if Phil has totally supported Bynum interms of protecting him from foul trouble and giving him more playing time IMO.
Most of the time, Drew get's in foul trouble early in the game, at times from helping out teammates like Fisher etc. I felt Phil could have used some of those overload-zone defenses to protect Bynum, lobby with refs on his behalf etc. Andew then picks up 2 early fouls, then gets yanked out and play like 14 minutes after the 1st quarter. It just seemed to me that Phil even tho he has not ripped this guy in public, has let Bynum suffer with this foul trouble dilemma, "OK Drew, you have 2 fouls early, you ride the bench, Im not going to babysit you, you are on your own learning from this, meanwhile im totally fine using Lamar early in the game bec. we really don't miss you that much"...
yep phils a great coach..it's not his job to protect bynum from himself... phil is not going to change how he coaches a team to 10 world titles for one player unless his name is michael shaq or kobe... bynum is not the franchise he is a role player, it's up to him to conform to what phil wants and what the team needs, phil is not going to alter the rotation to protect bynum form picking up silly little ticky tack fouls or playing lazy defense...

also phil never argues for his players with the refs... very rarely does phil work the refs even for players who are named michael, shaq or kobe...lol the sooner bynum realizes phil is not coming to his rescue and he's responsible for himself on the floor and off as a professional ball player the better off bynum will be
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #20
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
yep phils a great coach..it's not his job to protect bynum from himself... phil is not going to change how he coaches a team to 10 world titles for one player unless his name is michael shaq or kobe... bynum is not the franchise he is a role player, it's up to him to conform to what phil wants and what the team needs, phil is not going to alter the rotation to protect bynum form picking up silly little ticky tack fouls or playing lazy defense...

also phil never argues for his players with the refs... very rarely does phil work the refs even for players who are named michael, shaq or kobe...lol the sooner bynum realizes phil is not coming to his rescue and he's responsible for himself on the floor and off as a professional ball player the better off bynum will be

I think the problem is that Bynum came into the league too early. In HS, his coaches probably babied him and made everything easy for him. If he made a mistake, his coaches would come and side with him. The refs probably went easy on him because he was a HS student. Bynum never got a chance to understand the reality of the situation after HS and to mature completely. Bynum still has not matured yet because he never got to experience reality where you have to earn money after working hard for a degree (or get stuck working in McDonalds). Once you do get a job, you have to work hard to keep it week in and week out. There is almost nobody out there, outside of athletes and maybe drug smugglers, that can go from making nothing in HS straight to millions. They should make it so that nba players HAVE to go for 2 years of college before they can enter draft... at least they can come in mature with some experience behind their belt

Bynum still thinks that the nba coaches and others will back him up and come to his rescue. Just wait until after Bynum retires (while away but still); he will be up for a rude awakening when he has to experience life without having an income of millions yearly. He will be like Sprewell..."I CAN'T AFFORD TO FEED MY FAMILY"

I really wish the nba was like nfl where you are not guaranteed every penny that you sign for. NBA players get spoiled after they sign big contracts. In NFL, you actually have to work hard every year or risk being cut. In the nba, once you sign a player's contract, you have to pay that player for as long as the contract is up for even if the player slacks off completely.. I can pretty much guarantee that Bynum does not work as hard as he did before getting the extension last summer. He probably sat around all summer playing his xbox360 and making it rain in strip-clubs.

Last edited by bladefd : 10-07-2009 at 12:30 AM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #21
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

Well if i remember correctly it was more than after his rookie season. In his second year he came in and played less than Kwame and averaged nearly the same numbers as Kwame did. Next season after that was when Kobe went on his tantrum, what happened next? Andrew came off the bench averaging a double double and later on became the starter where he put up something like 16/11 before landing on Odom's foot against the T-wolves. the only problem was when he came back the next year, he got off a bit to a slow start and then BAM...put up big numbers again and got injured.

I do agree that he is acting a bit cocky. Not seeing the lakers doctors is a bit irritating. It reminds me of Karl Malone's mistake after he got injured.

I still have hope Andrew will be a big part of not only the regular season team success, but also playoffs.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #22
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

People are overreacting, it's not like Bynum said, "I've finally got my contract, now I can relax and gain weight."

This kid has an amazing work ethic, and if he stays healthy he'll become a very good player.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
People are overreacting, it's not like Bynum said, "I've finally got my contract, now I can relax and gain weight."

This kid has an amazing work ethic, and if he stays healthy he'll become a very good player.

Where did this come from? I would like to understand your thoughts here please.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

I was kind of on the fence. Just walking on it, wasnt sure which side iwas on..

And I read this post. And I"m ready to make the jump.

You see, This kid Bynum can be so good. He has a lot of potential, and shows flashes or greatness that gets me excited. He has VALID Reasons as to why he hasnt blown up yet,

but the thing that makes him look bad are the points that you outlined. The fact that the kareem help has been dismissed, his doctors dissing vitis work, and all this and bynum talks back to our staff.

you see, this is my extreme criticism towards bynum. This is how fustrated i can get with the guy, but I still blieve he can get it done.

He shows too many flashes for him not to be great, he just talks too much.

It is now time for him to put up or shut up. Prove to socal, prove to GTS that you andrew Bynum can get yourself into great shape and DOMINATE. Be that healthy beast that we have all been waiting for.

Make me look like good, because I talk about how good you CAN be and that the reasons you havent blew up yet are valid and are just that. Reasons and not excuses.

LETS go Bynum. Lets go lakers..
MJ(Mean John) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
SoCalMike

^^ well said MJ!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

I understand what you are saying, but I just feel if he sees Andrew really making great effort to help the team, that he would find ways to play him more etc. It just seemed to me that although he was not really complained about Bynum in the media, he really hates his guts, and rightfully so if the kid is arrogant.
I remember how he made Toni Kukoc his favorite whipping boy, constantly yelling at him etc. I really like this guy coming from europe, being a great passer, decent shooter etc and yet Phil even allowed MJ and Pippen to rip him constantly too. Toni eventually became a key piece on their rotation, playing heavy minutes even when he was struggling from the field.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 10-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Where did this come from? I would like to understand your thoughts here please.

Look at his body of work. He came in as a rookie and has built himself up. He's lost body fat, added lower/upper body muscle, and has recovered from two major knee injuries. He's obviously worked on his game, and when he's healthy he's shown that he's got a chance to be a major force in the NBA.

If Bynum doesn't reach his potential, it's because of health or a poor attitude ("I am more important than the team", etc. But I don't see you can overlook his improvements since becoming a Laker.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #28
SCV42
Buck Foston

Bynum's keys to success:

1. Play inside a protective "hamster ball" bubble to keep prospective teammate "x" from approaching any semblance of immediate proximity.

2a. Avoid acquiring 2 quick fouls prior to the Referee engaging in the game tipoff.

2b. After picking up both predestined and inevitable fouls, remind self to never again watch Tim Duncan's best-selling video tutorial titled "Whining Strategies, Dejected Facial Expressions And Arm Gestures Of The Flabbergasted". That's not the way to "plant the seed" for future calls later in the game, Einstein.

3. Play game film of self in reverse in the effort to enlighten one's mind what it looks like to see the ball going from the post to the perimeter. Mix in a pass once in awhile, Cowboy. Somewhere, Medvedenko is smiling.

4. Hustle. Avoid striding down the floor as if to mock a clumsy stork or discombobulated pelican. Run like you are on FIRE, brah. I know the knees are bad, but c'mon now.

5. Bring it with a passion. Energy. Justified Swagger.

Go Lakers.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
Look at his body of work. He came in as a rookie and has built himself up. He's lost body fat, added lower/upper body muscle, and has recovered from two major knee injuries. He's obviously worked on his game, and when he's healthy he's shown that he's got a chance to be a major force in the NBA.

If Bynum doesn't reach his potential, it's because of health or a poor attitude ("I am more important than the team", etc. But I don't see you can overlook his improvements since becoming a Laker.

ahh, ok, i see your point now and its a good one... yes, he has done things to improve himself. however, that does not mean he has given his full commitment to the sport like so many others have, including kobe, fish, gasol, etc...

he has a great gift, but he is going to have to work at it harder than he has to deliver or he will end up the player that "could have been, but never was."

Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #30
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
ahh, ok, i see your point now and its a good one... yes, he has done things to improve himself. however, that does not mean he has given his full commitment to the sport like so many others have, including kobe, fish, gasol, etc...

he has a great gift, but he is going to have to work at it harder than he has to deliver or he will end up the player that "could have been, but never was."

We'll see what happens. If he stays healthy, then he'll live up to the expectations.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: