Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #31
PWB15
Local High School Star

Default Re: Steven A Smith: "Melo would change his legacy if he joined the Lakers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Because it's the second-greatest team achievement in basketball (a team other than USA winning the world's is #1). It keeps people from saying he never won a ring. This isn't about how good he was (that really can't be measured by championships alone anyhow) it's about how his career is remembered, which is just going to come down to what people see when they look at the wiki. Probably less than half this board saw Barkley or Nique but just assume they're lesser stars because they didn't win a ring. Change that narrative and a player's legacy changes.

I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time
PWB15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #32
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Re: Steven A Smith: "Melo would change his legacy if he joined the Lakers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWB15
I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time
Not sure who you're talking about here.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #33
r0drig0lac
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
What exactly is Melo's legacy?
goat FIBA player
r0drig0lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #34
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Him winning a ring wonít help his legacy much. The narrative becomes he was carried to his first ring because he couldnít win one as the man. Thatís not much different than he never won a ring. I honestly forgot Gary Payton won a ring. When people talk about Barkley not winning a ring itís done in the context he couldnít get it done as the man. Iím imagining how that changes had he won one in Houston. I donít think it changes. Instead of bringing up being ringless it becomes you got carried to your only ring. Iím just not seeing the difference here.

Legacy changing for me has to be something drastic. Like Melo embracing being a role player. We all know heís wired to be a starter. For him to change that would be legacy changing for him. And had a ring resulted wouldíve added to the change it even more.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Him winning a ring won’t help his legacy much. The narrative becomes he was carried to his first ring because he couldn’t win one as the man. That’s not much different than he never won a ring. I honestly forgot Gary Payton won a ring. When people talk about Barkley not winning a ring it’s done in the context he couldn’t get it done as the man. I’m imagining how that changes had he won one in Houston. I don’t think it changes. Instead of bringing up being ringless it becomes you got carried to your only ring. I’m just not seeing the difference here.

Legacy changing for me has to be something drastic. Like Melo embracing being a role player. We all know he’s wired to be a starter. For him to change that would be legacy changing for him. And had a ring resulted would’ve added to the change it even more.
Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.

The casual fan who doesnít follow the sport much outside of what they are fed on tv, social media. People like my mom. Yeah Melo legacy would change in their eyes for sure.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #37
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

How could he change his legacy when he doesnít have legacy?
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #38
DoctorP
active baller

SAS has had a hard on for Melo since forever
DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #39
DoctorP
active baller

Melo could go to China and change his legacy too.
DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #40
Real14
2Willd & 2Fresh est.86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
How could he change his legacy when he doesnít have legacy?
Reported.
Real14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: