Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default I am down and just want to vent.

I finished law school in July, and as I was not the top 5% of the class I could not find a law-related job. I went to work temporarily at a distributor company owned by a family friend for a few months after.. and in the process I got to meet a high level director of a huge multinational corporate.

We talked, I let him know I was looking for a job, and he liked me, so he offered me a shortcut straight to the interview. So I do that. I prepared hard, tried to look my best, speak my best, and do whatever I can. The first round of interview they told me I did good. So they let me do a take presentation. I was to email them the presentation a week later. So I worked my ass off and spend several days, several hours each on the report, and even asked for the help of several friends.

Result? No comment, just a rejection letter. So for the last 2 weeks I'm sitting at home, supposed to job search but I'm lazy as f. My spirits are low.. I've just been watching NBA games.. spending hours on NBA fantasy research.. while I'm supposed to be jobsearching but I just haven't got to it.

Sorry for the long read. Anyone been in this kinda situation? I'm just lost at the moment. Have no ambitions, don't really know what I want, what I want to do, no motivation, even when I am already in a bad situation.

Default Re: I am down and just want to vent.

haven't you taken the bar exams yet? i suspect passing it would assure you of a job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Why do you fail so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmWZXNDx5s

Obvious and only answer.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    College education system is a sham

They just want our money
    No one is forcing you to attend a school costs 20-40k per semester.

I feel bad for the students who are in debt but I also kinda laugh at them when they complain that the government is helping them enough. Just don't attend an extremely expense school and you'll be fine..

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    haven't you taken the bar exams yet? i suspect passing it would assure you of a job.
    the top firms only accepts people with the best grades.. even if I invested time in passing, it would not guarantee any job.. chances are slim to none. That's why it's so shit.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer

I feel bad for the students who are in debt but I also kinda laugh at them when they complain that the government is helping them enough. Just don't attend an extremely expense school and you'll be fine..
    You lost me. How does that refute college being a sham?

Why do colleges constantly go up in tuition?

Home of the 16

You ned Joe Rogan my brother. Take a time and listen to what they're saying.

But first, I want you to watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ZDxt8JEAo

1st part: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13631246
    2nd part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q_TUoQNrow

But anyway, keep your head up, bro. Stay positive. Nothing won't change unless you do something about it.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You lost me. How does that refute college being a sham?

Why do colleges constantly go up in tuition?
    I just assumed he was complaining about the price and it is unfair that tuition prices are high but there are alternatives like state schools which are as good(if not better)

As for education being a sham it depends on what you are getting out of it. If you go to school to get a philosophy degree then yeah it's a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer

Actually, they are: nowadays because of the artificial inflation of education, a degree is expected for many jobs that have no real need for university education. The diminishing returns of education past a primary level are well known, yet governments in the West have pushed the demand for further education through the roof by acting like having everyone formally educated for more years will solve all of their and societies' problems.

It is a sham.

Sometimes you just need a minute for reflection.

Take a few, lick some wounds and move forward. Tackle situations as an opportunity to overcome an adversity rather than fear of defeat.

Look at this and think about what you learned, what you can improve upon and go from there

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Actually, they are: nowadays because of the artificial inflation of education, a degree is expected for many jobs that have no real need for university education. The diminishing returns of education past a primary level are well known, yet governments in the West have pushed the demand for further education through the roof by acting like having everyone formally educated for more years will solve all of their and societies' problems.

It is a sham.

Exactly this.

I've been saying this for years. In fact, since the day I dropped out

The basic perception in America is: You need a degree to get to the top.

Now, that is a very flawed perception, but even if we DID accept it to be basically true... it does not guarantee the inverse. That if you have a degree, you will get to the top.

It's a simple fact of logic that everyone can't BE at the top... otherwise it wouldn't be the top. So you've got kids in America who are C students in high school, thinking they're gonna work their way up the ladder through continued academic competition? I mean get real here! If you are already an average student, the most direct route to success is not going to continue being a student indefinitely.

Learn a skill, maximize it, maybe take a class or two on your own that can help you learn how to manage money or advertise or whatever... and just do your own thing. Maybe eventually you can start your own business and work for yourself. But at least if you have a SKILL you will have value.

Kids are coming out of college with nothing but thousands in debt and a little piece of paper that says "graduated." And they don't even have a SKILL.
    Last edited by OldSkoolball#52; 11-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park bumpyknucks's Avatar

I agree with most of what

[QUOTE=bumpyknucks]I agree with most of what

   

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    I finished law school in July, and as I was not the top 5% of the class I could not find a law-related job. I went to work temporarily at a distributor company owned by a family friend for a few months after.. and in the process I got to meet a high level director of a huge multinational corporate.

We talked, I let him know I was looking for a job, and he liked me, so he offered me a shortcut straight to the interview. So I do that. I prepared hard, tried to look my best, speak my best, and do whatever I can. The first round of interview they told me I did good. So they let me do a take presentation. I was to email them the presentation a week later. So I worked my ass off and spend several days, several hours each on the report, and even asked for the help of several friends.

Result? No comment, just a rejection letter. So for the last 2 weeks I'm sitting at home, supposed to job search but I'm lazy as f. My spirits are low.. I've just been watching NBA games.. spending hours on NBA fantasy research.. while I'm supposed to be jobsearching but I just haven't got to it.

Sorry for the long read. Anyone been in this kinda situation? I'm just lost at the moment. Have no ambitions, don't really know what I want, what I want to do, no motivation, even when I am already in a bad situation.
    pardon me if i'm being nosy here, but...

it sounds like you have some perfectionism working and/or your school is not highly-ranking in their law program?

in any case, can you go back and have some talks with their (or local) career counselors? that is, explain the situation and don't omit the fact that you feel like a lump right now... because it's a clear factor to work with and also tells a lot about you, i reckon.