Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    btw GOBB, your wrong about soccer. there is rampant racism in soccer. they were throwing bananas onto the field over the summer during the tournament. there is a huge campaign in soccer now to clean that part of it up. its worse over there then it ever is over here.
    Yeah i figured i was...like i said my knowledge on soccer in general and racism in soccer is limited. No problem admitting that and i wont front like I have a clue.

But in America? Racism exists...but as far as racial slurs being thrown around by fans? Nah. By players? I find it hard to believe after Eli Manning gets sacked he would dare call a player a monkey. I find it hard to believe a fan calling Yao Ming a racial slur and it go unnoticed.

Athletes in America are not trained to brush off racial slurs. Not gonna touch abroad but over here it dont fly. What happened to Mutombo is NOT a common thing in todays sports. Period. And no Mutombo doesnt have the right nor should he go into the stands...not arguing what he should have done. Just arguing the the affect of racial slurs affects American athletes. There is no brushing it off, getting used to it because racial slurs are said all the time.
    Last edited by GOBB; 10-27-2006 at 10:02 PM.

yeah im pretty sure we are agreeing. noone with any pride is gonna let someone call them a monkey or ***** or whatever and not wanna beat some ass, but the athletes gotta be smart about it. they may feel better by curbstomping the punk, but that dude will just make money off them in the end. leave it to the officials to take care of **** like that, no need to get their hands dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    yeah im pretty sure we are agreeing. noone with any pride is gonna let someone call them a monkey or ***** or whatever and not wanna beat some ass, but the athletes gotta be smart about it. they may feel better by curbstomping the punk, but that dude will just make money off them in the end. leave it to the officials to take care of **** like that, no need to get their hands dirty.
    No doubt about it. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    No doubt about it. I agree.
    Yet you disagree with my main argument

"they should be better trained to handle verbal slurs"

:stupid: Nice contradiction, I'll let it slide though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    Yet you disagree with my main argument

"they should be better trained to handle verbal slurs"

:stupid: Nice contradiction, I'll let it slide though.
    Reacting and being upset as Mutombo was is normal. Handling racial slurs better would mean not rsorting to physical violence. IE Mutombo going into the stands and pounding his skull in. Not just athletes but human beings in general have to operate under these same rules when at the job. Cant just react and toss someone thru a window because of a racial slur. But to say that person cant be affected is wrong. To say the person hears racial slurs all the time is wrong. No contradiction here at all. I'm telling you racial slurs thrown at athletes in America isnt as common as you think it is so them being trained to hear it and let it roll off thier chin aint happening. They're gonna react and what you want them to do is not react in a physical manner is all.

Like i said what happened to Mutombo I'd like for you to find other cases where that happened. If it has happened enough where athletes hear it all the time Mutombo wouldnt have reacted the way he did. Period.

bump

"You're a damn bum! You suck! Overpaid bum!"
    "My grandmom can shoot better than you and she is bed ridden!"
    "The franchise should be embarrassed to sign a crap player like you!"
    "You're a phucking bum!"

Things athletes can tend to hear and the "you get used to it" enters into play.

"You're a monkey!! *makes sound*"
    "Stupid ape, look at you! Go back to Africa!"
    "Hey ching chong man where my rice? You suck!"
    "Stupid ch!nk!"
    "Wow we got a wetback in the league, quick build a fence. No more no more!"

Things athletes dont hear and if they do the whole "you get used to it/you're trained" doesnt enter into play. Think lin between heckling and ignorace. Mutombo hearing he has hands of stone, he's old, he sucks is one thing, being called a monkey is another.

The End.

Future D1 Dad

i don't get it. if i were a rascist, the last place i would spend my time is attending a live sports game where there aren't many white guys out there on the court running around. it's stupid for mutumbo to get fined for doing nothing. stern doesn't understand anyway, he's some short, white guy. he's never gonna hear someone call him a "old honkey" or something. that just doesn't happen.

I rule the local playground Inspector Rick's Avatar

I hate to say athletes should brush it off, but I would like to see them not react to it and at the same time security should promptly remove the abrasive fan from the arena. NBA players have to conduct themselves in a certain manner, fans should should also.

However, I do admire the clever witty hecklers. They bring a fun element to the game, especially when the player starts jawing back.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Words are not just words. If you let them get under your skin you prove you're human. And the choice of words said can matter given the situation and how much self respect, pride and dignity you have. Maybe that racial slur doesnt affect you but there are things that can be said to get under your skin. Fact.

Wow. No disrespect, but I distinctly remember your words during the World Cup Final. When there were rumors that Zinadine Zidane was being called a racial slur by Marco Materazzi, you said that no matter what Marco Materazzi said, Zinadine Zidane should've kept his cool.

You never ever said things you said on your comments.

Now it happens to a basketball player, you suddenly become an ambassador of Peace or something on the whole issue.

I think you even said that if a racial slur was used against you, you wouldn't do anything.

You were playing the whole thing off like it was nothing.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Again, no disrespect.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Mutombo shouldn't go to the stands, nor should any player, but at the same time, they have a right not to take that type of abuse. No one does, public or private, doesn't matter. Just because one is a celebrity doesn't mean you can go off calling him/her racial slurs, that's just ridiculous. It happens, no doubt, but doesn't make it any more right. If anything, players should be given the right to remove fans if they're heckling them too much.

It's one thing to say "you suck" or "fat ass," but to insult someone's creed, skin color, or family member, is intolerable. Those qualities are what defines humans, not a player. Being overpaid or lazy defines them as a player, but when you start getting to who they are first, which are humans, then you cross the threshold and deserve to be punshied.

That's my opinion. In high school games, I heard racist slurs from the stands like "****** don't play basketball," , "your mother sell good fried rice" and I would've love to run into the stands with the bench chair, or throwing my own racial jokes back, but I guess people are always idiots.

Local High School Star

Racism sucks. We've all had our fair share of racism and some of us are speaking from experience.

I guess if Dikembe Mutumbo ran into the stands, I would understand why he did. He's human. If somebody called me a racial slur, I'd be mad.

I don't think David Stern will fine him. He's trying to make the National Basketball Association global. If he fines him, it's going to tell everybody around the world that it's not safe to play in the National Basketball Association because they don't provide a safe and fair enviornment for their workers to work in.

I don't think there will be a fine or even a punishment. If there is a fine or punishment against Dikembe Mutumbo, expect there to be alot of ruckus in the news, especially with elections coming up.

I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm Jerm's Avatar

BigKingsfan is a clown, nobody tolerates racial slurs on anybody in soccer. If your fans racially abuse any player, they're banned for life and you're forced to play some home games in an empty stadium. A player was just suspended for 5 games for using a racial slur on South African Benni McCarthy and Macedonia was punihsed for yelling racist chants on Black English players. You have no clue what you're talking about, so just STFU!

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

PTI said the guy sent Mutombo a letter saying he was sorry, donated 5000 dollars to charity, and promised not to attend another game until Mutombo said he could.

I did not expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm
    BigKingsfan is a clown, nobody tolerates racial slurs on anybody in soccer. If your fans racially abuse any player, they're banned for life and you're forced to play some home games in an empty stadium. A player was just suspended for 5 games for using a racial slur on South African Benni McCarthy and Macedonia was punihsed for yelling racist chants on Black English players. You have no clue what you're talking about, so just STFU!
    When did I say racism should be tolerated you mental gimp?