Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

My prediction for Brook's peak:

16 PPG
    9 RPG
    1.5 BPG
    48% FG

I have no idea how he'll do next season, given Frank's dislike of rookies, bigs, and good decision making.
    Last edited by ChuckOakley; 06-29-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    10 and 6 with a block and an assist and average defense is not "really good". It's average.

I'd say for the numbers centers put up these days it's slightly above average. Really good is a stretch but I still think those numbers would be a tad better than average.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    My prediction for Brook's peak:

16 PPG
    9 RPG
    1.5 BPG
    48% FG

I have no idea how he'll do next season, given Frank's dislike of rookies, bigs, and good decision making.
    I don't think going number 10 in a draft not considered one of the great drafts of our time those numbers would be bad nor do I think many expect more from him. I see his peak Brad Miller but he could also be Eric Montross.

College superstar

I saw him at the airport in Dallas on Friday standing there with his friend and holding an NBA basketball trying to practice spinning it on his finger, he sucks at it. I guess it was Brook, it was the one with short hair

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Yeah but can you teach toughness? That's one of my biggest problems with Brook. If he isn't tough enough to dominate college big men inside and shoot over 50% then I don't know if he'll be tough enough to be the low post player the Nets need.
    I don't see why not. Yao went from an unaggressive twig to being a fairly aggressive supposed trash talker big man. His rebounding improved too... So I don't see why not. Now I will never say Brook will be like Yao, but I do not think you cannot change your attitude if you have the right ambition. I see it all the time, from my friends to my co-workers. If you want to succeed you'll need the right attitude. It's up to Brook to decide that and nothing he has shown me indicates that he's lazy or unwilling to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I don't see why not. Yao went from an unaggressive twig to being a fairly aggressive supposed trash talker big man. His rebounding improved too... So I don't see why not. Now I will never say Brook will be like Yao, but I do not think you cannot change your attitude if you have the right ambition. I see it all the time, from my friends to my co-workers. If you want to succeed you'll need the right attitude. It's up to Brook to decide that and nothing he has shown me indicates that he's lazy or unwilling to improve.
    I agree... I think he was having too much fun banging chicks and partying at Stanford than worrying about his FG%... He'll be fine, he just needs to get serious, which I think he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain
    Chris Mihm was actually really good before the injuries.

I wouldn't say he was really good, but he was certainly decent.

I think that Robin Lopez will turn out to be the better player by far. Robin has guts and drive, Brook always looks like some semi-emo kid that does the Carlton dance when nobody is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    Exactly, Bayless was there but we have Marcus and Devin.
    Because the Suns are stupid lol

Robin Lopez averaged a double-double while his brother was out. If you watched Robin he spent a lot of time chasing guys around on the perimeter defensively. His offensive game sucks, but there is not as much distance between these two as some claim.

I didn't like the pick, but Bill Cartwright is an absolute fantastic big man coach. I'm sure he'll find a way to patch up Brook's holes somewhat.

It's not a horrible pick. Not a great one with Bayless being available, but Thorn always drafted players who have high perceived value. I don't think we'll regret the pick anymore than Antoine Wright over Hakim Warrick.

Um....Bill Cartwright is now working for the Suns.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Um....Bill Cartwright is now working for the Suns.
    I was unaware of that. Well ****.

NBA rookie of the year

Good point with Yao but in Yao's case he had Ewing, Mutombo and Hakeem teaching him. None of those guys were soft players(although some use to wrongfully accuse Ewing of being soft). There was also more importance put on Yao becoming a tougher player, everyone was talking about that in his first 2 seasons. That's because he was the number 1 overall pick, 7'6" and expected to become the franchise player.

I guess Brook could improve his toughness but as of right now he's still a soft player as far as I'm concerned because that's how I saw him when he was playing in college. I'll be skeptical of him being a tough player until I see him do it in the NBA.

Hey VC,

A couple things that might make you feel better.
    I was rewatching some of the draft and Bilas pointed out something interesting...

All of Brook's games last year were against either Pac-10 competition or in the NCAA tournament.

Again the Pac 10 was the best conference in basketball and aruably the best it has been ever.

5 of the top 11 picks were from the Pac-10
    12 players selected overall.

The other thing I find interesting is that Brook keeps talking about how he needs to play more like his brother Robin, which means tougher.

Sure he's a clown but I like this kid and his personality.

Brook Lopez is meh

eventually maybe a 12 ppg 7 rpg guy... he's a lot like Eddy Curry... atleast from what i see

also, im so glad the warriors got Anthony Randolph..

Randolph+Wright+Ellis what a future

Ellis is pretty much now though with 21 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg on 53% fg 80% ft last year

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    Hey VC,

A couple things that might make you feel better.
    I was rewatching some of the draft and Bilas pointed out something interesting...

All of Brook's games last year were against either Pac-10 competition or in the NCAA tournament.

Again the Pac 10 was the best conference in basketball and aruably the best it has been ever.

5 of the top 11 picks were from the Pac-10
    12 players selected overall.

The other thing I find interesting is that Brook keeps talking about how he needs to play more like his brother Robin, which means tougher.

Sure he's a clown but I like this kid and his personality.
    i second this... he didn't get to face all those cupcake non conference retards

could have panned to 20/10/3 blks if he played those ****ters