Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
donald_trump
im a superhero

Default improving flexibility

i dont know about the rest of the board, but as far as flexibility goes ive been declining ever since i stopped playing sports competitively. i only play basketball maybe twice a week, just some rec league stuff, and since then i havent really been stretching before playing.

as far as working out, gym is about it for me, and as ive packed on more muscle ive gotten less flexible.

theres a lot of beneficial ways i guess to increase flexibility, though what are some methods that worked for you in increasing flexibility or even maintaining it?
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: improving flexibility

yoga
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
PullupJay
Success

Do Yoga at least once a week ,it should help.
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
ThaSwagg3r

Stretching daily and spending a good amount of time stretching also helps. People who think stretching is overrated or stretching doesn't matter is not the brightest light bulb out there.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
donald_trump
im a superhero

might have to join the wednesday yogo class at my gym. i dont think there is a single guy in the class, so should be fun.

im trying to do 10 minutes of stretching when i wake up each morning just before skipping. just mainly lower back and hamstrings as this seems to be the main problem area.
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
verylegit

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=194234
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Whiteness
Banned

a lot of it is genetics

if you feel like it's holding you back, do yoga... it's the only thing that I've seen a commendable difference from
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
purplch0de
Banned

You gotta hop off lebrons dick first
purplch0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Try this

http://comedy.videosift.com/video/SN...-in-Yoga-Class
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

I try to stretch every day in an effort to maintain my flexibility. I am still quite active in sports. Stretching is very helpful and I am still in fact quite flexible, more so than I was in high school. It feels good on top of everything else. My muscles can feel very tight if I go even one day without stretching.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
ballup
13.37 PER

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_trump
might have to join the wednesday yogo class at my gym. i dont think there is a single guy in the class, so should be fun.

im trying to do 10 minutes of stretching when i wake up each morning just before skipping. just mainly lower back and hamstrings as this seems to be the main problem area.
Here are some tips I got from martial arts:
Slowly go into your stretch and keep it at the point at which you feel the pain.
Don't bump up and down when you stretch and don't rush into a stretch.
10-20 seconds of stretching won't do you any good, try stretching each part for at least 2 minutes.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Indeed most of is genetic... but it certainly can be improved. I have been doing P90 X Yoga once or twice a week and in terms of my hamstring/back flexibility, I have gone from being about 5 inches from my toes to touching them again (that's in a seated hamstring stretch and single leg... I am not flexible at all.) I have seen vast improvements in many areas as well so I would definitely recommend Yoga. And when it comes to flexibility, the key is to so short stretches, or long ones (at least that's what seems to reap the most benefits). 20 or 30 second stretches don't help you that much. Long stretches really stretch things out and so do short ones. I mean why do you martial artists are so flexible? Or Gymnasts? Constant movements (many of them quick) that increase flexibility.

Just make sure you are super warm before and during stretching. I always work up quite a sweat before I do them. also, Dynamic stretch before you play (short stretches). you will be performing many sudden movements so why would you not stretch that way?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
DaHeezy
NBA lottery pick

Be diverse in your activities. You can gain alot from other sports and liesure activities. Different sports tests different movements. I knew guys that had amazing co-ordination and flexibilty even from doing things like skateboarding, dance, yoga, martial arts...
DaHeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: