Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: can Biyombo still grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Many people keep growing into their 20s. It is complete BS that every male stops growing at age 18. He could have had an open growth plate at 22-23. It does mean that he was 17 at the time.
    Well, I think the point is that his growth is consistent with a 17 year old, not that it definitively proves it.

More importantly, it doesnt disprove it (which it would with the vast majority of humans as lengthening in your 20s is extremely rare outside of some situations of childhood undernourishment - which results in a shorter height overall regardless of the late growth).

Its pretty clear to that doctor that hes still growing similar to most 17 yr olds.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    Well, I think the point is that his growth is consistent with a 17 year old, not that it definitively proves it.

More importantly, it doesnt disprove it (which it would with the vast majority of humans as lengthening in your 20s is extremely rare outside of some situations of childhood undernourishment - which results in a shorter height overall regardless of the late growth).

Its pretty clear to that doctor that hes still growing similar to most 17 yr olds.
    I grew until age 24. I didn't have any childhood disease. It is complete BS that every male stops growing at age 18.

Many people keep growing into their 20s. It is complete BS that every male stops growing at age 18. He could have had an open growth plate at 22-23. It does mean that he was 17 at the time.
    While anything is possible, growth plates open earlier and close sooner, at almost a proportionally inverse rate to the individual's latitude on the globe. Most males who experience bone growth into their early to mid twenties are from latitudes very distant to the equator, such as Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    While anything is possible, growth plates open earlier and close sooner, at almost a proportionally inverse rate to the individual's latitude on the globe. Most males who experience bone growth into their early to mid twenties are from latitudes very distant to the equator, such as Scandinavia.
    I never lived anywhere near Scandinavia. I have Nordic genetics though. It's the genetics. It has nothing to do with how far you are from the equator.

I grew until age 24. I didn't have any childhood disease. It is complete BS that every male stops growing at age 18.
    24? i'd say that's pretty rare but not impossible. almost all males stop growing by 21 and many don't see any growth past 18-19. so in short, yes, he can still grow but i wouldn't say it's expected. he still has monstrous length so it shouldn't be an issue. watching a couple highlights, it just seems like he has good timing on blocks. it's not always about size if you can't stay out of foul trouble, pick your spots or block with timing.

he just needs to fill out and work his offensive game. his potential is high which is why he's such an intriguing pick. he's a relative newcomer to the game but doesn't have the footwork that hakeem gained through soccer. i also doubt he's athletic overall as ibaka but he's still athletic in his own right. i think he can be devastating defensively and if he works at it, his offensive game will come along. his perceived confidence is either gonna kill him or drive him. that's why he can also be high risk. if he expects to just show up and get by on his athletic ability, he won't have a career into his 30s. if he soaks everything in, works on tip-ins, boxing out, hook shots...well, he can be a force.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I never lived anywhere near Scandinavia. I have Nordic genetics though. It's the genetics. It has nothing to do with how far you are from the equator.
    Stop acting like you know anything about this subject. A hyped NBA prospect's underwhelmed in the Euroleague you say he sucks. A hyped NBA prospect has done well relative to age and playing time in the Euroleague you say he sucks. An American goes to the Euroleague you say he sucks.

You're not a basketball fan. You're a troll. How you're not banned other than providing page hits is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Stop acting like you know anything about this subject. A hyped NBA prospect's underwhelmed in the Euroleague you say he sucks. A hyped NBA prospect has done well relative to age and playing time in the Euroleague you say he sucks. An American goes to the Euroleague you say he sucks.

You're not a basketball fan. You're a troll. How you're not banned other than providing page hits is beyond me.
    bravo. i haven't seen everything but he seems to always post in any rubio related thread. i'm pretty sure he said jennings sucks and will continue to suck. i'm pretty sure he said childress sucked and will continue to suck. it's like a weird pro euro competition obsession. if rubio shoots bad but makes a lot of plays, he wins. if childress doesn't get much PT regardless of depth chart, he wins. if jennings never scores 40 again or dishes 12 assists, he wins.

is there a group dissing euro ball here? i don't see it but he has this strange obsession over it all. everything is about the american media yet he's dealing with sources that are years outdated. many american sources are questioning rubio's ability....his ability to shoot jumpers on pick n rolls, his potential abuse by larger PG's in the post, his tendency to jump and play the passing lanes. i don't know what he's reacting to really. the fact that we should pay more attention to overseas ball? he's going about it the wrong way. i'm pretty sure rubio screwed a female he was interested in. i won't even say gf.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-21-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Not to the kind of accuracy that would distinguish between an 18 year old and, say, a 23 or 25 year old.
    According to the press, the tests done to him, mainly to his bones, have an error margin of 8 months, so he can only be either 18 or 19, again, according to the press and I guess according to the test faculty.

Decent college freshman

That is extremely rare and would be quite the coincidence in this case given the curiosity surrounding his age. I really don't care if he's 22 or something if I take him though, especially since he looks to still be growing. I can't think of one NBA player in history that grew post 20, and you hear about 18 and 19 year olds growing quite a bit it seems.

yeah, I worded it poorly. I meant haplotypes with lineage linked to latitudes furthest from the equator show tendency towards bone growth plates staying open well past the worldwide average. And the inverse for groups/haplotypes with lineage/history near the equator....they grow tall at a young age and their bones tend to be at full maturity sooner (16-18).

So in summary, I don't think Biyombo will be Mutumbo's height in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

Biyombo has never played a single game in the Euroleague genius.

i don't think it really matter he's got legit center size with his length and weight

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

I've read that scientifically growth plates close at 23.

Most guys stop at the end of puberty though. 18 is common. I know guys who kept growing till 21.

Even if Biyomo can grow, he can only add about an inch max, just about as much as Dwight and Lebron added since pre draft.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

If you believe McHale, Garnett grew three to four inches from the time he was drafted over the next three or so years. He's still listed at 6-10, but is probably legit over 7 feet. So it's not impossible.

Weather he's 18 or 20, if they can show his growth plates are still in a state where continued growth is possible, I'm not sure there's a huge difference in the age as far as physical development goes.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    I really don't understand this kids hype. I would take Tristan Thompson, who isn't even an NBA level starter IMO, over this kid.
    Though I agree with you to a large extent neither you or I are paid scouts. Obviously those paid for talent evaluation had this 18 year old kid pegged as a lottery type talent in "this" draft. As a Bobcats fan all I can do is hope the kid equals or exceeds his hype. Those that are paid to evaluate talent are many times wrong so who knows? Sometimes however they are right so who knows? We shall see 28renyoy.