Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    College superstar

Default Re: Why do some GMs appear to be so dumb?

The NBA is an old boy's club.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Make the call on the deals when they're done...not after the results are in...and your argument would have at least a bit of validity.

GM's have owners to deal with. Just like any boss, there are times you've got to go feed the boss' wants/needs. They also have salary cap issues to deal with, along with internal finance. I've seen enough of the posts here to know that VERY few posters really underdtand the cap and, unless you're inside, there's no way to understand yhe full financial situation.

I guarantee Dallas would say every penny spent on Cardinal was a good investment based solely on what he did in the Finals.

I would love to see the typical ISH poster run a team. Hell, even a concensus of the "best minds" on the site. They'd win fewer than the Washington Generals.
    Grumpy Old Man.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

If we pick any random Isher here and analyze his predictions he'll look wayy more stupid than any GM.

I've once read a poster here arguing that the Mavs are in dire need of more perimeter offense to help Dirk. I was telling him they need a real C instead as Dirk is soft and the guy was insistent Dirk never had any real perimeter help despite having Marion and Butler. Well the Mavs got Chandler and look what happened.

If this fool were the Mav's GM he'd have gutted the team for a useless wing player and no chip...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    If we pick any random Isher here and analyze his predictions he'll look wayy more stupid than any GM.

I've once read a poster here arguing that the Mavs are in dire need of more perimeter offense to help Dirk. I was telling him they need a real C instead as Dirk is soft and the guy was insistent Dirk never had any real perimeter help despite having Marion and Butler. Well the Mavs got Chandler and look what happened.

If this fool were the Mav's GM he'd have gutted the team for a useless wing player and no chip...

not to be argumentative but they did pick up Peja, and they did just trade for Rudy.

not saying Chandler didn't help them alot but they do need 3 pt shot makers to spread the floor especially when they collapse on Dirk.

to me it goes both ways, since GM's can be complete retards and fans can just as much be right when GM's are wrong from what i've seen.

Dunking on everybody in the park 24r2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
    I think i can be a better Gm than this guy No hindsight needed, this guy every move he makes is just horrible. I think the Magic fans should demand he makes his moves public before pulling the trigger so they can approve or disaprove of them

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    not to be argumentative but they did pick up Peja, and they did just trade for Rudy.

not saying Chandler didn't help them alot but they do need 3 pt shot makers to spread the floor especially when they collapse on Dirk.

to me it goes both ways, since GM's can be complete retards and fans can just as much be right when GM's are wrong from what i've seen.
    Peja is just a dirt cheap shooter coming from the bench which are easily picked up on low salary. Hardly the blockbuster acquisition for an All star perimeter offense the fool was demanding. Of course you need shooters, every team needs shooters. But they are easy come easy go so the Mavs should have worried about their center which they did.

Diaw Fan

Yeah.. Peja signed for the vet minimum or something.

I think the most frustrating 'building process' to have dealt with over the past 5-7 years were the Suns. They had the 06-07 team that were tied 2-2 with the Spurs and then got dealt bullshit suspensions and ended up losing a close game 5 and 6. Most people regarded them as the runnerups to that year. So what does the front office do?

Pay (literally with picks and cash) teams to take:
    Kurt Thomas - One of their main rotational players and their best post defender, one they needed for Duncan.
    James Jones - Another one of their rotational players who was a good shooter and solid defender.

These were moves I criticized from the start. I COULD NOT believe that they were blowing up critical parts of such a successful team just to save money when your team is so close to contention with an ever closing window to win.

Then midway through the next season they panic over not having enough post presence and trade Marion/Banks for Shaq. When this trade was being rumoured my cousin and I were highly against it. After the trade was done I was iffy and willing to look at the coming results as Marion had always been inconsistent in the playoffs anyways and frequently dissapeared against an defensively aggressive Spurs team.

The trade bombs. They lose early in the playoffs and Shaq turns out to be a cancer, not that he did not show it in LA and MIA but he brought those teams championships so all was forgiven. From this day on, I always laugh at any team who traded FOR Shaq (I'm looking at YOU Cleveland/Boston). Okay fine, Steve Kerr took a gamble and it failed; it happens. He gets rid of Shaq and publicly states that as a good team there are times to realize when you are no longer in contention and to pull the trigger on rebuilding.

Except the ****ing jackass doesn't. He continues to make trades to make the Suns reminiscent of the 05-06 team (Nash's second MVP year) and the team overachieves, sweeping the Spurs in the semis and losing to the Lakers in 6.

Kerr steps down, having ruined the best Nash Suns team and failing to truly rebuild. The next moron who comes in does not resign Amare (because they want to rebuild) but hands out 3 other contracts to mediocre players that more than covered Stoudemire's contract.

So now they are not good enough to get into the playoffs and not bad enough to rebuild. They are mired in mediocrity, wasting the last couple years of Nash's career. What more? THEY'RE SADDLED IN CONTRACTS. I feel bad for Nash but he enjoys his life in Phoenix and enjoys playing Hill and company. I'm also glad that Phoenix will suck for the next 8 years and never sniff another good team for ****ing over their own team and and fans in the most frustrating way possible.

WORST MANAGED TEAM OF THE CENTURY SO FAR.