Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #151
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big stick
The good news here is that it's a one year deal. Second, the 76ers organization has just assured us a lottery pick next season.
We are in for a long year gents.

Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights
Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #152
the big stick
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights
Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football.

Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year. I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.

Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I donít feel like the 76ers have.
I love the core of young players that we have but, I just donít see a competitive team. Andre can not shoot the rock with regularity, Sammy is just horrible, Brand is slow, Lou, Thad, Speights are very young and will need much more playing time before they make an impact in this league. Kapono does not play D and Jru is a long term project.

E.J has been a loosing coach at 230 wins and 288 losses. Thatís a .444 winning percentage. I am a basketball not a football fan and I love the 76ers but, I am not at all happy with what has happened during this off season.

I will watch and root for them just like I have for 15 years and I donít need you to tell me how to feel or think.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ordaed01c.html
the big stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #153
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

There is no legitimate trade/signing the Sixers could have done to show their improvement. They didn't have the money to sign a top tier free agent, they didn't even have the money to keep their OWN top free agent, nobody wants Dalembert in a trade. What do you want them to do? What coach did you want them to sign? I was pushing for Thibodeau but there's nothing about him that says he was more qualified than EJ. There were no available coaching candidates.

Boston/Orlando were able to make moves because they're legit title contenders and free agents are more willing to go there. They're able to throw first round picks into trades if they need to because they know the pick will be between 25-30 anyway, not end of lotto/mid first round like the Sixers pick. It has a lot less value to toss around. Cleveland got Shaq, but do you think the Sixers should have made a move like that? What sense would that have made? Certain trades make sense for title contenders and don't make sense for non title contenders. It's just how sports work. Toronto didn't do anything. They overpaid for Hedo and lost Shawn Marion, the best they'll do is get in the back half of the playoffs. Their bench still sucks and now they're screwed money wise for a while because they're putting money into Bosh/Hedo/Calderon even though it won't go anywhere.

What move do you see that the Sixers should have done that they didn't hop on?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #154
artificial
:-P

The team isn't contending for anything as it is right now. Maybe 2nd round and that's if things all work for the best. So I do get why you aren't feeling optimistic about the team right now.

On the other hand, giving a closer look at the situation despite being offseason you could see this situation coming. More over: as both -GOBB and posterize- mention there wasn't much more that could be done in the current situation.

I agree there weren't any available players that made worth going over the cap. Bibby? Dre? TT? Would any of them have put us over the top? CJ Watson intrigued me, but he didn't tliked the one year offer that was offered to him. You can see more and more options in the free agency thread. But I can see why management didn't wanted to throw deals longer than 1 year. And I agree with that standpoint.

It kind of feels strange to having been left out of this offseason, which has been crazy overall in the league. But the sixers made their moves last offseason, and looking closely at the current situation it was easy to say that other than the draft and the coach acquisition, this would be a quiet offseason for us.

We are looking ahead for a mediocre season, and it's hard to be excited about that. But at least we can agree that the management did pretty much what you'd expect them to do, without blatant bonehead moves.

And I'm glad to finally see some conversation here again
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #155
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big stick
Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year.

But you applauded the move no? I'm not saying you were apart of the crowd overrating the Sixers. But when Sixers added Elton Brand your feelings? I doubt it was critical but I let you tell it.

Quote:
I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.

Ed Stefanski just got here. He is putting together his team. Impatient much?

Quote:
Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I donít feel like the 76ers have.

First Toronto did nothing for anyone to say they are/will be better than the Sixers next year. So what exactly did they do this year that was better than what the Sixers did last year?

Boston added a vet who wanted to play for a title contender. Look at the teams Sheed considered. It wasnt the Sixers. Besides with Dalembert, Brand, Smith, Speights where does Sheed even fit? They got KG because of the talent they were able to give up. They got Ray Allen because they had a top 5 draft pick. Last time Sixers had that? Clevland got Shaq by using thier expirers something we dont have. Orlando got Vince by using the young players they have plus Nets wanting to rid themselves of Vince deal.

Sixers locked up thier SG (according to Ed Stefanski) in Iguodala so the need/trading of one is out the window. Sixers locked up thier young combo guard in Lou Williams. And they traded for an AS caliber 20-10 PF which at the time was the biggest and most glaring Sixers need. So what were the needs + available options? PG right? First tell me who you would have liked then explain how to aquire that player.

What significant moves would you have liked my friend. Chances are you'll struggle to give me reasonable ones for the same reason the Sixers did nothing. Did those teams you listed make significant moves last offseason?

Quote:
I love the core of young players that we have but, I just donít see a competitive team. Andre can not shoot the rock with regularity, Sammy is just horrible, Brand is slow, Lou, Thad, Speights are very young and will need much more playing time before they make an impact in this league. Kapono does not play D and Jru is a long term project.

The last 2 seasons you saw a competitive Sixers team that made the playoffs. Elton Brand even said prior to being traded Sixers were a young team on the rise and players around the league have took notice. Which is why he said he wouldnt rule out playing here. This was months prior to him being dealt here. He resaid what he did upon being traded for.

This team has been competitive since the AI trade. So you're wrong saying that.

Quote:
E.J has been a loosing coach at 230 wins and 288 losses. Thatís a .444 winning percentage. I am a basketball not a football fan and I love the 76ers but, I am not at all happy with what has happened during this off season.

Do me a favor and check the Wash Wizards records under Eddie. Do me a favor and see how his system blossomed a couple players. Wizards under Eddie have been competitive. He wasnt a bad head coach. It was a good hire. I'd like to see him be given a chance much like Ed Stefanski. You cant win overnight like in football. Ed is putting his pieces together. Lets see how it unfolds.

Quote:
I will watch and root for them just like I have for 15 years and I donít need you to tell me how to feel or think.

I'm here to tell you how you feel and think? Doesnt make much sense. I along with others have highlighted it already. Acknowledge and either accept or continue to believe what you want. You're only disappointing yourself in doing so.

And I'd do my homework on Eddie Jordan besides lookin at wins-loss career totals my friend.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #156
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Good posts artificial and Posterize. *dapz*
Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #157
the big stick
I airball my layups

I did look at EJís record with Washington and my opinion has not changed. I believe A. Johnson would have been a better pick and I will love to post on this message board in April that I was wrong about EJ. Assuming that he proves me wrong!

I get it that Artest, Oíneal, Wallace, RJ and Carter were not coming to Philadelphia. These guys are looking at winning championships and my original post clearly stated: ďat least itís a one year contractĒ. Looking back C. Webb and Sammy D hurt the organization fiscally. The reasons are obvious; the contracts were/are expensive long term contracts that are difficult to move.

Going back to my original post;
Quote:
ďOriginally Posted by the big stick
The good news here is that it's a one year deal. Second, the 76ers organization has just assured us a lottery pick next season. We are in for a long year gents.Ē
Royal Ivey and Primeo Brezec are inexpensive short term deals thus, will not hurt going forward. Neither one will have much of an impact next year. I think Jason Kapono will help the three point shooting that we lack but, is very expensive. I would have rather kept Evans and let his contract expire next year.

I was and continue to think that Brand will play a role in the success of the 76ers. Itís obvious that the experiment failed with him and his teammates partly because, he was injured and could not keep up with the rest of the team. Letís hope a healthy Brand shows up for training camp and the regular season.

The best was I can explain my frustration is this way. There is a big party with a lot of pretty women wanting to hookup but, I was not invited to the party. I can not think of an off-season in recent memory were there we so many trades and signings.

I realize that we took it to Orlando last year in the playoffs but, looking at the teams in the east today, I am not optimistic about 2010 and I will not mind getting a lottery ball bounce our direction.
the big stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #158
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

without getting into all these details, the point is this. If we were to have spent money that we don't have this off season on good but not great free agents, we would have still been behind the big 3 in the East and had financial problems down the road. So it was pointless to do so. We're hoping Brand comes back healthy and that essentially is a big time addition in itself. We have plenty of young players and Kapono will help out with the shooting. Primo is nothing but a 5th big man but he will do his job and same with Ivey as a 5th guard. I don't see what the big deal here is. I'm not happy with the fact that other teams are getting better and we aren't(at least free agency wise), but at the same time Ed Stefanski knows what he is doing and it is in the best interest of the franchise. It's a process that we must go through and there's no need in trying to speed up that process at the expense of the franchise going forward. Be patient and Ed will get us to where we need to go. Eddie Jordan did a very good job with the Wizards when healthy so i couldn't care less about his overall record. And Toronto like others have said have improved but at what cost? They still will be a bottom playoff team, if they make it at all, and now they have big contracts going forward. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, and this is a prime example of that.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #159
Maniak
TJ Warren

I never expected Brand to be the savior, and I never for a second bought the hype, because they really hadnt done much.

Granted, this team has a nice young core, and I will enjoy watching some of their games, but they are still on that average level. A few more moves and you can talk of their relevance more. For now, just enjoy some 76ers basketball!
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #160
artificial
:-P

Quote:
The Sixers' biggest offseason acquisition was shooter Jason Kapono in a trade for Reggie Evans. They also drafted 19-year-old guard Jrue Holiday and lost veteran point guard Andre Miller to free agency. Lou Williams, Holiday and Royal Ivey are expected to share the job at the point.

The Sixers haven't used the mid-level exception of $5.85 million and probably won't. Instead, they opted to sign Ivey and are about to add center Primoz Brezec for salaries at or just above the league minimum.

(...)

"(A swingman who can shoot and point guard) were two positions that we had to address and we addressed them."
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...is-year-1.html

Pretty much what we just discussed here.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: