Banned

Default Re: #65 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Dennis Johnson says 'hi'.
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
    Who?
    Don't worry, I wouldn't expect a Lakers fanboy to have heard of him.

You know absolutely nothing about the history of the game and shouldn't be allowed to vote in a poll like this. Not knowing who Dennis Johnson is proves my point.

Gasol getting in at number 64 is a complete joke and has ruined these rankings.

Banned

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect a Lakers fanboy to have heard of him.

You know absolutely nothing about the history of the game and shouldn't be allowed to vote in a poll like this. Not knowing who Dennis Johnson is proves my point.

Gasol getting in at number 64 is a complete joke and has ruined these rankings.
    Sorry I'm not some 40+ year old that spends all his time online or some ****er that sits there and jerks off to basketball-reference all day.

You don't even list out his credentials when bringing him up. Gasol is a NBA champion best player, yearly cover boy for NBA Live in Espana, and an international ambassador for the game. He is the Michael Jordan of his home country.

Never even heard of "Dennis Johnson". Guy probably isn't even alive anymore.

Sorry I'm not some 40+ year old that spends all his time online or some ****er that sits there and jerks off to basketball-reference all day.

You don't even list out his credentials when bringing him up. Gasol is a NBA champion best player, yearly cover boy for NBA Live in Espana, and an international ambassador for the game. He is the Michael Jordan of his home country.

this is why you're a troll and no one likes you

You're a lost cause.

Chris Webber was better than Pau Gasol at every single aspect of basketball.

Dennis Johnson was a better two way player than Pau 'Soft' Gasol and didn't need a superstar like Kobe Bryant by his side to win an NBA championship.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    this is why you're a troll and no one likes you
    Yeah. He's a classy guy with comments like that. I chose to ignore it.

Banned

Alonzo Mourning

-7 Time NBA All-star
    -NBA ****ing Champion on the 2006 Miami Heat
    -2x DPOY
    -550+ Bench Press
    -Inspiration to kidney donors everywhere
    -All NBA First Team in 99
    -All NBA 2nd Team in 00
    -Best defensive anchor in the best era for centers in the NBA History
    -Has a high school named after him in Miami
    -21.1 PPG 10.1 RPG 3.1 BPG career numbers prior to his kidney surgery

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Dennis Johnson

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Still don't know who Dennis Johnson is. Can't be too good if you cant even brag about any of his accomplishments.
    '79 Finals MVP
    9x All-Defensive Team
    2x All-NBA Team
    3x NBA Champion
    5x All-Star

Dude had the mentality of Kobe on the court, dangerous player during crunch time, never backed down from anyone, & never lacked confidence.

The only things Chris Webber is better than Pau Gasol at are microfracture surgery and sucking ****.

While Chris Webber is calling timeouts he doesn't have and cementing himself as one of the biggest chokers in sports, Gasol is winning champioinships in Spain and Los Angeles. Chris Webber couldn't win with a lineup in Sacramento that had a borderline all-star at every single position. There are no excuses for Webber coming up short, other than his own incompetency.

Gasol was dominating postseason play and owning the paint in a way Webber could only dream of. Don't even try to compare that smelly baboon to Pau.

Still don't know who Dennis Johnson is. Can't be too good if you cant even brag about any of his accomplishments. If casual fans dont even know him he's definitely not on the level of a guy like Gasol that was the main factor for his teams championship in a tough era.
    In the same way that ingrates like you don't know who Dennis Johnson is, new fans in the future won't give a shit who Gasol was.

Webber was a better scorer, better rebounder, better passer and better defender than Gasol.

Webber's (and Sacramento's) peak coincided with the Lakers powerhouse team of the early 2000s. The West was stacked with the Lakers, Kings, Spurs and Blazers. As a Lakers fanboy, you should really know that.

As for Dennis Johnson, he won the Finals MVP award (how many of those has Gasol got?) with the Sonics and then went on to win 2 more championships with the Celtics.

Larry Bird once said "The best player I ever played with was Dennis Johnson".

But, hey, why should you care? After all, like you said, he probably isn't even alive any more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    '79 Finals MVP
    9x All-Defensive Team
    2x All-NBA Team
    3x NBA Champion
    5x All-Star

Dude had the mentality of Kobe on the court, dangerous player during crunch time, never backed down from anyone, & never lacked confidence.
    One of his titles was in the 70s which counts as like one-fifth of a championship won in any other era. The 70s were ****ing awful. Then the other ones looked like he was relegated to being a 4th option. Yeah on a real team in the 80s this guy is a 4th option if you want your team to be good. Doesn't sound like an alltime top 65 player to me. Give me Gasol.

In the same way that ingrates like you don't know who Dennis Johnson is, new fans in the future won't give a shit who Gasol was.

Webber was a better scorer, better rebounder, better passer and better defender than Gasol.

Webber's (and Sacramento's) peak coincided with the Lakers powerhouse team of the early 2000s. The West was stacked with the Lakers, Kings, Spurs and Blazers. As a Lakers fanboy, you should really know that.

As for Dennis Johnson, he won the Finals MVP award (how many of those has Gasol got?) with the Sonics and then went on to win 2 more championships with the Celtics.

But, hey, why should you care? After all, like you said, he probably isn't even alive any more
    -Wrong, Gasol will be known as one of the great pioneers along with Dirk, and Ginobili to really bring in the wave of international talent to the NBA. Once these guys picked it up things REALLY intensified. This guy changed the game globally.

-Webber the better scorer? Maybe if you want ***** jump shots, but I like having my 7 footer(Oh wait Webber isn't even 7 feet LOL) playing down low. Gasol has post moves Webber couldn't perform in his dreams.

Better rebounder?
    Playoffs RPG Gasol: 9.6
    Playoffs RPG Webber: 8.7

I don't think so chief.

-Both are excelent passers

-Chris Webber was just not good enough to lead a team to a title the same way Gasol did. Gasol dominated the paint against top20 player all-time KG and prime Dwight Howard to win his championships. All Webber did was bend over for the superior Western conference bigman(Shaq,Duncan,Dirk). If your not good enough to break through that barrier your not good enough to have your place in history.

One of his titles was in the 70s which counts as like one-fifth of a championship won in any other era. The 70s were ****ing awful. Then the other ones looked like he was relegated to being a 4th option. Yeah on a real team in the 80s this guy is a 4th option if you want your team to be good. Doesn't sound like an alltime top 65 player to me. Give me Gasol.

-Wrong, Gasol will be known as one of the great pioneers along with Dirk, and Ginobili to really bring in the wave of international talent to the NBA. Once these guys picked it up things REALLY intensified. This guy changed the game globally.

-Webber the better scorer? Maybe if you want ***** jump shots, but I like having my 7 footer(Oh wait Webber isn't even 7 feet LOL) playing down low. Gasol has post moves Webber couldn't perform in his dreams.

Better rebounder?
    Playoffs RPG Gasol: 9.6
    Playoffs RPG Webber: 8.7

I don't think so chief.

-Both are excelent passers

-Chris Webber was just not good enough to lead a team to a title the same way Gasol did. Gasol dominated the paint against top20 player all-time KG and prime Dwight Howard to win his championships. All Webber did was bend over for the superior Western conference bigman(Shaq,Duncan,Dirk). If your not good enough to break through that barrier your not good enough to have your place in history.
    You're so delusional and blinkered

Gasol would never have got to the Finals without Kobe by his side. You conveniently fail to mention Kobe in all of your posts. Kobe was the best player on that championship team, not Gasol.

Your rebounding numbers are misleading since they include Webber's final few years in Philadelphia and Detroit. Webber was the better rebounder of the two. There's no doubt about that.

Gasol was/is a good passer, but not on Webber's level. Chris Webber is probably the best passing power forward of all-time.

It's funny that you mention how Gasol changed the game globally. If we're going down the 'changed the game' route, then we need to vote in Joe Fulks (pioneer of the jump shot, the NBA's first big gate attraction, champion, All-Star and prolific scorer) or Earl Monroe. They changed the game far more than Gasol and had just as much success (if not more) in the league.

But hey, why should you care about those guys? One is dead (murdered) and the other retired before you were born.

Let's face it, you know jack shit about basketball history.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Dennis Johnson says 'hi'.

DJ wasnt the best player on any of his title teams you casual fan. Gus Williams (the real 1979 FMVP) and Jack Sikam were better in Seattle, and Bird/McHale/Parrish/Ainge were better in Boston. Look what happened to Seattle when Gus sat out a year. And then when Gus returned they were back to being borderline title contenders. DJ gets overrated by people with freckles because he is like the freckle GOAT, but plz go if you think he was better than Williams, Nixon, KJ, Price, Billups, etc.
    Last edited by Miller for 3; 10-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Local High School Star

Not that it's central to the point but MT is (I believe), as his name suggests, a Miami fan. Not sure why you're slurring an entire fanbase anyway. There are some irritating Kobe fans on here but I wouldn't consider them representative of Laker fans (and, fwiw the Kobe boys tend to utterly diminish Gasol).

As to Webber versus Gasol, I think I'd take Gasol. Certainly your assertion that Webber is clearly better in number of areas is flawed.

Gasol scores a few less ppg, but Gasol has been significantly better in all measures of shooting efficiency (fg%, ft%, ts%) and gets to the line a lot more often. Webber even acknowledging his post prime numbers drag his career totals down, has a ts% which is very poor for a (supposedly elite) big man.

Rebounding wise their career reb% is presently equal (and Webber's didn't trail off that much in his post injury years). Gasol's last few years have been above his career number so there's a fair chance it goes up before it goes down. Gasol also has the higher peak in this area. It's pretty much a tie for me.

Defense wise Webber has the advantage numerically (indeed for all-round well rounded boxscore numbers, ignoring %s turnovers etc, Webber is one of the best) but I also recall scouting reports suggesting inconsistent effort and a desire to avoid foul trouble. Gasol meanwhile suffers from euro stereotypes and occasionally having to defend the 5. At the 4 he has consistently been a good defender.

Passing wise Webber is definitely better but not by a huge margin.

Finally there are other areas to look at, for example: whilst Gasol has been a model citizen Webber has been a distraction for many teams (fueded with Nelson in GS, including complaining at having to play center then demanding a trade when friend Billy Owens was sent away for center Rony Seikaly, Marajuana usage amongst other things in D.C., perjury charges in Sacramento, throwing Peja under a bus in Sacramento). Webber also has (not that I put huge weighting into such things) a relatively large fall off in playoff performance, whilst Pau's drop off is smaller (possibly about the typical level of drop off given the raise in standards of competition in the playoffs).

Gasol now already has the longer prime and remains highly productive.

So whilst I'm reticent to agree with MT after the Dennis Johnson post (either ignorant or deliberately flaming but in horrible taste either way), I would probably lean Gasol already and he should certainly have the better career when he's done.

All that said I wouldn't have had him this high. Pau above Artis Gilmore (I've posted his stats before, so this time I'll just go with winning the ABA MVP over Julius Erving and a prime Rick Barry) feels more than a tad off.

How is Chris Webber still not picked?