Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Kobe is the best player on the Lakers, not Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Just for fun, it's worth throwing out there that YES (Yankees channel, broadcasts Nets games in the NYC area) actually picked Pau as the player of the game.

Anyhow, I don't have a dog in this, but in terms of impact ('best' player in a vacuum means little to me tbh) you gotta go with Dwight just looking at the team as a whole. Thus far though it's been Kobe, though we'll have to see how sustainable his insane level of play is (plus Dwight was pretty shafty defensively during the first few games with Mike Brown) as the season progresses.
    Pau deserved as well. Not just his low post game and mid range jumpers but actually he is making Howard's job so easy on offense..like he did with Bynum. Those passes from high post can make Omer Asik scoring threat.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

You guys agree that so far Kobe has been the best player in the league, not just the Lakers? I mean he is making things look effortless out there. Even tonight, he was still 8 for 15 and it wasn't one of his better games.

I can't believe what he's doing out there; guy is nearing 30,000 points and entering his 17th season.

I personally thought either Gasol or MWP were our best player tonight. I thought MWP shot well from beyond the arc and hit a HUGE three point shot that actually swung momentum in our favor and facilitated that 11-2 run when we were down by 6 with 5 minutes left in the game. Pau did a little bit of everything and had a double-double I believe.

Kobe was too quiet for most part and Howard's free throw shooting was a big problem for us. I mean to miss 12+ free throws? I can't give him the game ball for that. Despite getting 15 boards and recording 4 blocks, he was pretty mediocre defensively. Wasn't rotating that well and his awareness was a little off but he isn't fully healthy either so I'm not expecting the world from the guy. Some Laker fans are too inpatient with him.

Just for fun, it's worth throwing out there that YES (Yankees channel, broadcasts Nets games in the NYC area) actually picked Pau as the player of the game.

Anyhow, I don't have a dog in this, but in terms of impact ('best' player in a vacuum means little to me tbh) you gotta go with Dwight just looking at the team as a whole. Thus far though it's been Kobe, though we'll have to see how sustainable his insane level of play is (plus Dwight was pretty shafty defensively during the first few games with Mike Brown) as the season progresses.
    Kobe had an off game tonight when you compare it with his other performances this season, but I do think he's been their most effective player overall at this point in time.

He's the only one(until Nash comes back) that can reliably run the team's offense. As a result, he's been their best offensive player by a comfortable margin.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
    You guys agree that so far Kobe has been the best player in the league, not just the Lakers? I mean he is making things look effortless out there. Even tonight, he was still 8 for 15 and it wasn't one of his better games.

I can't believe what he's doing out there; guy is nearing 30,000 points and entering his 17th season.

I personally thought either Gasol or MWP were our best player tonight. I thought MWP shot well from beyond the arc and hit a HUGE three point shot that actually swung momentum in our favor and facilitated that 11-2 run when we were down by 6 with 5 minutes left in the game. Pau did a little bit of everything and had a double-double I believe.

Kobe was too quiet for most part and Howard's free throw shooting was a big problem for us. I mean to miss 12+ free throws? I can't give him the game ball for that. Despite getting 15 boards and recording 4 blocks, he was pretty mediocre defensively. Wasn't rotating that well and his awareness was a little off but he isn't fully healthy either so I'm not expecting the world from the guy. Some Laker fans are too inpatient with him.
    I haven't watched as many Lakers games as I've liked...how's his defense been so far?

So far he's on the shortlist of top guys for me, but I haven't dissected his game (beyond a cursory glance of the gaudy numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Kobe had an off game tonight when you compare it with his other performances this season, but I do think he's been their most effective player overall at this point in time.

He's the only one(until Nash comes back) that can reliably run the team's offense. As a result, he's been their best offensive player by a comfortable margin.
    agreed

Learning to shoot layups

honestly, Dwight doesn't have the impact that Kobe has overall....though Dwight is obviously a bigger defensive presence.. there's a reason why Dwight hasn't won a MVP award even with his crazy efficient stats...

Quote Originally Posted by dabulls23
    honestly, Dwight doesn't have the impact that Kobe has overall....though Dwight is obviously a bigger defensive presence.. there's a reason why Dwight hasn't won a MVP award even with his crazy efficient stats...
    I don't see Dwight ever winning the MVP award. I don't think his offensive game will ever be good enough where the writers can will vote him over Lebron and Durant in the upcoming years.

I haven't watched as many Lakers games as I've liked...how's his defense been so far?
    From what I've seen, and I'm sure I don't speak for everybody, his defense has been pretty terrible this year. That being said, his stiffest competitor - Lebron - hasn't been playing great defense either.

The way Kobe played against the Nets tonight really proved that he indeed is the best player on the team. Given, with the help around him he's able to take smarter shots, but he can do just as well on his own, just like he did tonight. Some shots he took were unreal.

Look at it this way, the Lakers would be doing a lot worse if they didn't have Kobe, compared if they didn't have Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Look at it this way, the Lakers would be doing a lot worse if they didn't have Kobe, compared if they didn't have Howard.
    Agreed. That may change somewhat once Nash is in the lineup, but for now that seems to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Agreed. That may change somewhat once Nash is in the lineup, but for now that seems to be the case.
    Most likely. Once Nash comes back, everyone will start playing significantly better.

Kobe, in his 17th season, is still (arguably) the best player in the world.

Not that good and tonight's game he got into early foul trouble, so he couldn't be aggressive on defense and offense for a spell.

I would rather see him continue to cut down on his turnovers, if he's going to handle the basketball a lot. When Nash comes back to the team, I see him being more aggressive defensively (needs to be quicker on his rotations) and see him a play a lot more off the ball on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Kobe, in his 17th season, is still (arguably) the best player in the world.
    He is arguably the 2nd best, people hastily put Durant over him. but there is no case for #1. Lazyass Lebron playing with little effort still put up 29/7/7 last week and has lead his team to a better record thus far. The difference between James and everyone else is still quite noticeable, even when Lebron plays crappy defense and looks disinterested he still has a bigger impact than those other guys who have to work extremely hard just to momentarily catch up to Lebron on cruise control.

I rule the local playground keepinitreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Was Kobe ever the best player on the Lakers in his career?

97-04: Shaq
    05-07: Kwame Brown
    08-11: Pau, the real Finals MVP and league MVP
    12: Bynum, Dwight

Am I right?
    Nah, I have Kobe slightly ahead of Kwame in 07.