Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Default Do you believe in an Alternate Universe?

I often wonder what would’ve happen if certain decisions in my life went the other way instead of the way they went up to today. For that reason I Do believe there is an alternate universe..sort of string theorish. I would love to explore a world where I am a different person. Just to see.. I mean who wouldn’t . I mean what are your opinions on them?
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Default Re: Do you believe in an Alternate Universe?

The idea of fully understanding our own universe much less parallel ones is beyond mind boggling. I leave the possibility open, but I'm not sold on the idea either. I believe it crosses into the realm of more science fiction than modern science as we know it today.

I also believe what we think we know so well about the universe (the age, the rate of it's expansion, whether it's flat, round or the more recent argument that it's an oval shape, the beginning / ending of the universe, etc) is best guess, at best, and nothing remotely set-in-stone fact.

I don't care how far we advance as a civilization, we'll never fully understand where we came from, where we're going or the common median that holds those two thoughts together, the universe.

What we think we know, is exactly that, what we think we know.

_____

To more or less answer your question; no I don't think there's an exact replica of me, you or anyone else in an exact replica of our universe, over and over again. I just don't think it's in the cards. Maybe additional universes is possible (if you can argue one exist, how can you say another does not), but not carbon copies of each.
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
hateraid
Is it in you?

I call it heaven
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

like a bizarro world? no . i don't see any kinda logical explanation for one . (waits for nexus to come in and spit some knowledge)
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnin4HoLeS
I often wonder what would’ve happen if certain decisions in my life went the other way instead of the way they went up to today. For that reason I Do believe there is an alternate universe..sort of string theorish. I would love to explore a world where I am a different person. Just to see.. I mean who wouldn’t . I mean what are your opinions on them?

No. But I believe the Universe is such a small part of what everything is. To us it's massive, never-ending, etc. But I think it's smaller than that and is just a small part of the whole picture of things we can't see.

It's hard to comprehend that immediately universe where everything is thousands, millions and billions of lightyears away is the end of everything. Why is it dark past the stars? Why is there seemingly nothing past the stars? Are we microbes to a bigger picture like microbes to us humans?
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
like a bizarro world? no . i don't see any kinda logical explanation for one . (waits for nexus to come in and spit some knowledge)

Wow, that was insightful. Tell us why you feel it's illogical to say there isn't alternate universes out there?
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
Wow, that was insightful. Tell us why you feel it's illogical to say there isn't alternate universes out there?

Quote:
I often wonder what would’ve happen if certain decisions in my life went the other way instead of the way they went up to today. For that reason I Do believe there is an alternate universe..sort of string theorish.

i don't see why there would be another universe that mimics our exact actions with the exception of certain decisions, which is what he's implying . i don't believe in that .
Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
i don't see why there would be another universe that mimics our exact actions with the exception of certain decisions, which is what he's implying . i don't believe in that .
You know something that comes to mIND was when I went to go watch the Curious Case of Benja Button . and in that movie theres a 6 or 7 inute scene where Benjain is explaning the consequence of one man waking up late to go to work causing down the line the grl in the movie to get struck by a car and have her leg broken. SO if one action would not have taken place out of all 6 or 7 actions then the end result would be completely different. That made me ponder
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

i think about that too, my girlfriend has a shirt that shows how if you're sitting in traffic in LA, then in X amount of hours someone on the other side of the world is gonna catch those fumes . i think about things i've done that led to bigger things, even if they didn't seem related, and how they affected each other . i just don't see why there would be another universe with our mirror images inhabiting them .
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

I think there is some truth to this....I mean how do you explain ESP.....we've all had this were we have sworn up and down that weve done something before or seen a place weve never been.....

maybe we have lived our lives before and somehow we tapped into whats going to happen next in our existing lives...thats why I think reincarnation exist....its not a cuincidence that these events happen or that you are born with a certain talent or gift...must have been from the past

....I mean it sounds crazy but I wouldnt knock any ideas....the world, life in itself is very mysterious...and we may never know the answer....I bet when we do die....its going to be something very different from what we have thought all along...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I hear according to Quantum Theory that an alternate universe is possible.....

they say basically that for every solid object there is an equal object that is made of anti-matter...

I dont know... I guess it is possible... Im sure the universe is more incredible than I could possibly imagine and I would think we (as humans) know less than a little about its true nature
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
macmac
Gov'n

You guys are taking about different things though.

You shouldn't be taking about a single alternate universe, but an infinity of parallel alternate universes that get created for every single fork in the road, kinda like binary systems except about an infinity times more intricate
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

I've read this book, that mentioned the possibility of there being alternate universes with their own set of gravitational laws. Ours being just one of many.

Needless to say, we probably won't figure out anything in our existence.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
-primetime-

Imagining the Tenth Dimension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvgwR9ERCBo

what you are talking about is explained here...although it is just a theory

one of many string theories...

I start getting confused around the 8th dimension...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

There would be an infinite amount of alternate universes then, each one for each decision you could have possibly made. Googles upon googles. Interesting concept, but I don't think it's real.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: