Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Default Re: Allen Iverson Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    I love Iverson but he's a quitter. Yes, we all know he can still get 20 a game yet he feels the need to prove it to us. All he had to was agree to come off the bench. Look at guys like Jason Terry, Ginobli and Brad Miller and how they are making great contributions to their teams. I hate he had to end his career this way. It's really a shame.
    Now hold up. I kind of agree, but see it from his point of view.

He has just put up so great numbers in Denver, won 50 games before losing to eventual champions in the first round.

Was anyone saying that he had to be a sixth man then? No.

Three games in, he gets traded to Detroit. Amid team chemistry issues like these: Lying coaches, shuffling lineups, etc, he has his worst year in his career.

Now everyone is saying that he is washed up, and that he cannot start and should be a sixth man. Why? I still dont know why. Honestly, why? People say that he cannot carry a team anymore. WTF? There is obviously something in between coming off the bench and carrying a team. The media dragged his name through the mud, with most saying that he simply doesnt have it anymore. After ONE bad year with a team going nowhere regardless.

At this point, Iverson was being called"selfish" and "stubborn" even though he has been quite the opposite. Selfish people dont let rookies practically live at his house. (Kyle Korver) Selfish people DO NOT sacrifice their BODY for the team. The passion and intensity he displayed did not convey selfishness to me.

Oh, I know he isnt perfect. I completely understand that.

Has he made some bad decisions? Yes.

Should he have complained after the first game he played in Memphis? No.
    (Sidenote: If you look at my game thread, I was b*tching too. Conley put on the absolute worst performance I have ever seen with my two eyes. It was very suspect that Iverson did not play more minutes even though he was showing no signs of discomfort and played better D and offense than his counterpart.)

Should he be hated this way? Hell no. Instead of people embracing him and appreciating him, they rather hate. Why? I have no clue. I mean if there was ever one NBA superstar I could honestly imitate, it would be him. He's around my height and weight, and he used his speed to humiliate opponents night in and out.

Now we have a retirement thread, and instead of people realizing what they are going to be missing, they rather repeat the same old.

Keep it up.
    You won.

Decent playground baller tedloc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    AI hater are worse than Kobe lovers
    i know it, seriously.

AI was the man. thanks for all the years, they were great to watch.

I am your soldier!

^^^ Phoenix: The most I've ever seen you write.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    It's a bad choice to not go ring chasing?... Now I've heard it all on ISH

If AI truly is retiring instead of going to another garbage team, or a stacked elite team... he gets my respect. He was basically considered a top 5 guard by virtually everyone for his entire career except his rookie season, and his final season (which would be counted as Detroit, not Memphis).
    Are you kidding me? Where did I say that? I simply said It's sad to see him not take a lesser role. Wasn't talking about ring chasing but the guy wanted to be a top option and that wasn't going to happen

I'm a huge Iverson fan and I respect him wanting to win on his own terms but It's sad to watch as a fan. I didn't want him to jump to Boston\Lakers but atleast take a role somewhere.

I rule the local playground

A few years ago when Iverson said he'd never be a ring chaser and would rather retire than play sparingly off the bench just to get a title, everyone praised him for it. Now he gets bashed for it. He'd rather play than sit on the bench for half the game, it's his perogative. He hasn't handled situations well lately, but I'm not gonna bash him for his decision.

That said, I think someone is gonna get an injury or there will be another reason and there will be someone calling before the season is out.

[QUOTE=Sanity]NBA Most Valuable Player (2001)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (1997)

Local High School Star

Since Iverson defenders have failed to list 3 skills that he possesses I'll ask another, more interesting question.

Name me a team, in any sport, that has ever won a championship while being centered around an inefficient player. Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Since Iverson defenders have failed to list 3 skills that he possesses I'll ask another, more interesting question.
    Do you actually think anybody in the NBA doesn't have atleast 3 skills? .. and your acting like an MVP\All Star player doesn't have 3 skills? Your clearly an idiot.

Da Mavs

Name me a team, in any sport, that has ever won a championship while being centered around an inefficient player. Go.
    By inefficient I belive you mean offensively, so Bill Russell and his 44% FG% (as a Center) and 11 rings say HI!

I will give you three skills and some more.

Skills:
    1.Floor Vision
    2.Passing
    3.Ball-handling

What is wrong with you:
    1. Idiot
    2. Inefficient with time.
    3. Lame
    4. Cannot formulate a rebuttal that is worth responding too.*
    5. Not Creative
    6. Not many options in life*
    7. Cancer*
    8. Attention Whore
    9. Redundant

4*-Seriously, who logs into ISH just to post BS? Wouldnt it be better to just do something else? I dont understand the thought process. Your posts are the equivalent to watching p0rn and not jacking off.

6*-See 4.

7*-Everytime I quote you, I just feel unhealthy. You ruin team chemistry.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    By inefficient I belive you mean offensively, so Bill Russell and his 44% FG% (as a Center) and 11 rings say HI!
    No.. I mean inefficient. Russell's ts% was 47% which is bad in today's game but basically average in his era.

Besides, Russell was not the centerpiece of the Celtics offense. He was the centerpiece of their defense. And he was not an inefficient defense player but any account I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Whats your point? How many rings did Iverson get with his FG%?

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Whats your point? How many rings did Iverson get with his FG%?
    How many rings did Mr.11 get without at bench full of HOF's?

Yes, my hand just said hi to your face.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

In a way, it's very sad to see Iverson retire because he could've done so much more at this point in his career. He will go down in the hall of fame but from my perspective he does not get my full respect because he'd rather not play the game of basketball at the highest level than play on a team as a role player.

I'm not sure you can make the case that you truly love basketball if you're going to retire rather than taking a seat on the bench. Guys like Shane Battier, who'll do whatever it takes to win, I can respect a guy like that. A guy like Mutombo, who was willing to do whatever it took to keep playing in the league, no less donating a good chunk of whatever he made to charity, I can respect.

When someone retires because he doesn't want to take a back seat in a team's offense? It's sad to see him go out that way because he's got so much more talent that he's not using.

I respect all of his accomplishments and acknowledge his greatness in the game of basketball, but I can't say I'm pleased to see Iverson make this decision. Hopefully in the future he can come back and change his ways but I really don't see it happening.

Look what yall ****ers did.