Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Default who is our "go-to" guy now?

i was discussing this topic with a buddy at work. we have no franchise player now, no all-star caliber dude or someone who they can say that it's THEIR team.

can granger step up this coming season? will dunleavy have another breakout year and get all-star status? will larry bird be at his wit's end and finally suit up to bring us a championship?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Default Re: who is our "go-to" guy now?

Granger is atm our go to guy, but I agree with you we need a better 1st option. Its not like its easy to get a go to guy just like that, either you get lucky in the draft och make a huge trade (both are very hard to do). So therefore Granger will have to be that guy we need next season.

If I had to take a guess what type of player Granger will become, then I think he will never reach that kind of player (franchise player/1st option /go to guy).

I think he will end up as a really good 2nd option, Caron Butler type of player, he can take over games and outscore everyone but still not a reliable 1st option nor a franchise player/a player you want to build around.

If we suck next year and get lucky in the 09 draft, then we might be able to draft our franchise player or sign one as soon as we get enough salary cap.

Oh I just remembered dont forget Tj Ford, I think many people are sleeping on him. I think he will be near allstar level next year in our uptempo offense and as our main pg. He will have room to do things that he could not do in Toronto with Calderon stealing time from him.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

TJ Ford will be able to break down the defense and get into the lane and dish up or even pull up and take that 15 footer. If he can get into the lane, we have a bunch of good 3 point shooters (Granger, Dunleavy and B. Rush). I think Rush would be able to take people off the dribble.

We need someone inside to that we can depend on in the low-post. Right now we have Rasho, Hibbert, Murphy, Baston, and McRoberts. Thats not going to get the job done.
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

I have been discussing this also, mainly with my bro in law. I think that if Ford can stay healthy, the tandum of Dunleavy/ Granger will be amongst the best in the league. With dunleavy an outside threat, and danny's ability to drive to the hoop, and both with the ability to hit open mid range shots, this will be great.

As far as down low, we have plenty of D at the 5 spot between Jeff, Rasho, and Hibbert, but we desperatly need and low post scoring, banger that can draw double teams and cause havoc, at the 4. Murphy is just not this, i wish we could trade him for a foreign contract. They would diff. take him.

I was just taking a look at the free agent list and here are some big men left, and some players i have heard were open. What do you all think?

Beidrins(r)
Kwame Brown
Croshere
Paul Davis(r)
Herrmann (r)
Landry(r)
Josh Smith(r)
Okafor
Charlie Villanueva
wilcox
Shelden Williams

And here are some i would like to see us trade for

Leon Powe
Josh Boone
Stromile
Hakim Warrick
Tyrus Thomas
Drew Gooden
JOakim noah
Prince
Milsap
Brandan Wright
Big Al
Collison
dj white
Al Thorton
Blatche
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

^^
OMFG, I would LOOOOOVE to see Austin back in Pacers Blue and Gold. I'm sure he would love to come back, seeing as he would get plenty of burn in our thin frontcourt rotaion, namely the 4 spot.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Our lack of a real #1 option is a big reason why I was so pissed about not keeping Bayless. I like that Bird and company are building a team, and doing what needs to be done to build it how he sees fit. It remains to be seen if this vision is going to work though.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Our lack of a real #1 option is a big reason why I was so pissed about not keeping Bayless. I like that Bird and company are building a team, and doing what needs to be done to build it how he sees fit. It remains to be seen if this vision is going to work though.
I was also pissed that we didnt keep Bayless, but to be real, he played good in the summer league. Summer league is a bunch of NBA rejects. We should wait until we see him play in the regular season. Hes not someone that would fit in Indy, I beleive.

Hes not a PG and too short and weak to be a SG. Hes probably the same weight as Monta Ellis, but without the athletic abilities that he has. I dont see Bayless being the go to guy in Portland, because they still have Roy.

Before we all jump to the conclusion that Bird phucked up by trading Bayless, lets see him actually play an NBA game before we judge. There had to have been a reason that he fell all those picks in the draft.
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: