Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 11-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Melo
Serious playground baller

Exclamation Rockets Want Bonzi Wells To Concentrate On Training

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4345945.html

A few weeks ago when Bonzi Wells thought he was a few days from taking his place in the Rockets' rotation, he said it would take time to be his best.

"I'm not going to come in and change the world," Wells said when asked about the excitement that came with his addition to the roster. "It's going to take me some time to get a good feel for playing with my teammates, get in the game atmosphere, get my legs up under me. I'm going to be a work in progress. I plan on struggling a bit at first. Hopefully, I'll smooth it out as time goes on."

Since then, it has seemed to go on and on and on.

But while Wells' situation has caused a great deal of confusion and even more consternation, it is not complicated.

Look at it this way: By not playing, Wells doesn't have to save his legs for that night's jump shots. He can (theoretically) go all out in workouts, really push it and be in good shape after two or three weeks of intense (again, we assume) training.

The Rockets played him in the second and third games of the season and saw a fraction of the usual Bonzi Wells, especially in his second game when the mind was willing but the body was not.

With that, coach Jeff Van Gundy changed his mind and decided to make Wells inactive and have him concentrate on conditioning, likely with goals to meet body fat, weight and/or performance before he returns to the court.

On game days, Wells works with strength coaches, no longer preparing with the team, as has been the common practice under Van Gundy. He and other rehabilitating players rarely travel, so Wells has been nowhere to be found by television cameras during games, inspiring more conjecture.

Wells cannot be loving it, as his conversation might have indicated. When asked on his first night back on the inactive list what he needed to do to regain his usual form, Wells said, "Play."

To a degree, NBA players generally get and stay in shape playing basketball. And eventually, Wells will need to play his way into basketball shape. But first, the Rockets chose to give up a few weeks to get him close.

The Rockets were aware Wells was out of shape when they signed him, knowing his groin injury and free-agency limbo kept him off the court through the summer. For $2.1 million for this season, the Rockets were happy to sign Wells.

The Rockets were not about to argue when the town got a little nutty over their good fortune, but they knew his impact would not be immediate.

So they wait. Wells does his Lance Armstrong bit on the bicycles. And with every loss, and even the close wins, the screams for his arrival grow.
Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWNMIKE
SO HOW COME THESE "SO CALLED" ROCKETS FANS DONT REPLY TO A TOPIC LIKE THIS??????/

I THINK BECAUSE ON HERE, THERE ARE "INTERNET FANS" INSTEAD OF "ROCKETS FANS"

YALL DUDES ARE SORRY FOR REPLYING LIKE CRAZY TO IRRELEVANT TOPICS, DUMB TOPICS, POINLESS TOPICS..

WHERE OH WEHRE..... CAN I FIND SOME GOOD ROCKETS TALK???

CUZ IT AINT HERE!!!!!

www.clutchfans.net This maybe the best basketball forum ever.

Yeah this forum is pretty sad, I even pointed it out about a month ago, but no one read it.

Last edited by Hot Shot Rox : 11-20-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
DreamRuled
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWNMIKE
SO HOW COME THESE "SO CALLED" ROCKETS FANS DONT REPLY TO A TOPIC LIKE THIS??????/

I THINK BECAUSE ON HERE, THERE ARE "INTERNET FANS" INSTEAD OF "ROCKETS FANS"

YALL DUDES ARE SORRY FOR REPLYING LIKE CRAZY TO IRRELEVANT TOPICS, DUMB TOPICS, POINLESS TOPICS..

WHERE OH WEHRE..... CAN I FIND SOME GOOD ROCKETS TALK???

CUZ IT AINT HERE!!!!!

wait....you bash people for not replying to this thread, when you yourself have nothing to say about it? that doesn't make sense....

your reply had nothing to do with the thread, simply a random bashing. admitably, your view points are some what accurate, but the least you could do is post a real reply to the topic before belittling everyone for not posting one.
DreamRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: