Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation
Default Need Some Advice (concerning my job)

Alright guys, I'm stuck in a pretty sticky situation right now...a few months ago I got a connect that landed me a job for the summer. I get paid pretty good for part time. Only con about the job is I start from 3:30AM to about 7:30-8 (depending how busy it is) which is a pain in the ass waking up but you eventually get used to it from time.

I start university in September and I've told my boss that I don't think I can work those morning shifts anymore because i'm starting school and on top of that it's my first year so I want to get a hang of things first before I even think about adding a morning shift to my schedule. I said that I wouldn't mind working just once a week in the afternoon if that's all they could come up for me but my boss still wants me to work some days in the morning...he even said I can punch out for 7am and head to school. Thing is i'm not really interested in doing that because I know some nights i'm going to be having a shit load of essays and assignments to do and I'd like to get in some sleep if it's possible.

What can I do to tell my boss in the nicest way that I can't work in the mornings?? I don't want to quit because a) I do like the job and I want to start picking up more hours as soon as school is done b) They pay part of your tuition if you stay with them

Any help is appreciated...Thanks guys!!
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Need Some Advice (concerning my job)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Tell him that you don't want to do that gay-ass shift because you're going to school. If he declines your demand, you can always throw some of your nasty ass draws on his face as you quit. Closest thing you'll ever get to a facial.
gimmick alert
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

Can you work in the mornings on weekends?

If not just tell him that it will seriously effect your studies and just explain what situation you will be in if you have to work the morning shift and then go to school.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Blackisbig
Serious playground baller

Blackisbig has decent reputation

Your boss compromised by letting you off at seven in the morning rather than making you stay for your whole shift. Right now the employer has the advantage in these situations given the current state of the economy, so my advice is to nut up and work in the mornings if you really want to keep the job. Considering it's your first year your classes aren't going to be very difficult anyways. A semester isn't that long, and you'll build some character while having to deal with hours that you might not enjoy.
Blackisbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

if u really like the job, try to work the set schedule. it's only 4 hours. life is full of compromises and this is just a small one.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Actually, those hours are pretty good. Get some morning classes and you'll be done by around 1 pm. Then you got until 9 pm to study/do paper/play/whatever. Only drawback is you can't sleep late.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Señor Cedric
why live??

Señor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
if u really like the job, try to work the set schedule. it's only 4 hours. life is full of compromises and this is just a small one.

I think this is your answer.

Although, I botched up my first year significantly due working full-time and training for basketball most mornings and evenings. (Yeah, I didn't attend any classes).

Manage your time!
Señor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

bumpyknucks is considered somewhat coolbumpyknucks is considered somewhat cool

Keep the job and work. Having more free time doesnt mean you´ll get more school work done, and in most cases it means you´ll end up getting less done. I know for me, when I knew I had things I had to do, it gave me more motivation to get my studying in. Sure you´ll end up missing a party here and then, but in general, school is 90 percent dead time anyways....it really shouldnt be a problem banging out a shift a few times a week.
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

describle your bosses personality, habits, etc...basically whats his attitude each day at work, and how does he treat his employees?

need more info.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

What course are you taking? First year is always hard, because you aren't use to the work load, because first year in university is much harder and different than high school. So what I'd say is maybe try the shift once and see how you feel during your class, if you can't seem to concentrate then explain to your employer that it really wouldn't work for you.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: