Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Help with developing off hand

I need to be able to finish and shoot with my left arm consistently. I have a basic knowledge on how to begin to develop my off hand, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, exercises, or practice routines that will help me along the quest?

Last edited by Undisputed : 03-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

mika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Help with developing off hand

consistency and persistence are key, ganon baker said it takes 17,000 times to get down the feeling of something like shooting with your off hand and tons and tons more just to start shooting fluently. so work on your game and weak hand every day.

form shooting under the hoop to start is a great way to start things, then gradually move back and so on. just doing what you can within your limits with your weak hand. work on foul shots as well.

ball handling with two basketballs is a good way to develop your off hand as well. try integrating dribbling with a ball and tennis ball at the same time too, that is a great way to improve your coordination and hand control.

try doing things with your opposite hand in daily activities; try brushing your teeth with your other hand, practice writing, etc.

also use your weak hand more than you would with your stronger hand; for example if you shoot ten free throws, try shoot twenty with your weak.

thats just some stuff off my head, if you can watch some ganon baker videos, he'll show you how to become ambidextrous with a basketball.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

take at least 200 lefty layups a day. after a month or two your handle with your off hand [and finishing around the basket in general] should improve immensely, then you can start practicing in-and-outs, crossovers, through the legs, etc.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

Why do you want to develop an off-hand shot? Practicing dribbling, finishing, passing, etc is a good idea, but are you actually aiming to shoot, say a 3-pointer or a mid-range shot with your off-hand? Is it an American thing?
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junny
Why do you want to develop an off-hand shot? Practicing dribbling, finishing, passing, etc is a good idea, but are you actually aiming to shoot, say a 3-pointer or a mid-range shot with your off-hand? Is it an American thing?

No, I'm not trying to learn so I can shoot from long range. I'm trying to be able to finish with my off hand. That way when I have my back to the basket or driving, I don't always have to go to the same hand. Throw my defender off.

Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
tastystaci
Local High School Star

tastystaci has decent reputation

I'm not spamin' this dude's website, but he does have some extra nice tips. I just found it through google. Don't bother reading his blog though. He's a jordan-hater

http://basketball.lifetips.com/
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
I need to be able to finish and shoot with my left arm consistently. I have a basic knowledge on how to begin to develop my off hand, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, exercises, or practice routines that will help me along the quest?

Dude to develope a left hand layup, as myself did. Just do one and only one drill Mikans. Big Mark made me and Lil Mark, who is has gotten offers for D-1 schools as a junior now. He always made us do Mikans we had to make so many in a row before we could leave the gym. Man those were the days. But yeah thats how i developed a left handed layup. In fact in transition i actually prefer attempting a left handed layup then a right one.

Mikans is the only drill you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cZ-7O1ZqU i do it at 2:40 min in just keep doing that challenge yourself to make so many in a row and just keep increasing it as you get better.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Practice makes perfect...

Do left handed layups over and over and over and over and over.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

start by *********ing with your off hand
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Hoopla
I airball my layups

Hoopla has an OK reputation so far

Haha. My advice is to forget balling with your off-hand and start doing every-day things with it. Wash your car, make dinner, play video games- all with your weaker hand. Co-ordination will soon come

__________________________________________________ _______________-
11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: