Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Go Spurs Go

Default GUITAR HELP: Telecaster vs Les Paul ? (jim root vs gibson gothic)

looking at 2 diff guitars right now, each one is between 800-1000$ used...what yall think? any guitar heads can dish some advice?... looking to get a grungy/darker/lower sound

fender jim root

or gibson gothic
    Last edited by Dizzle-2k7; 03-11-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: GUITAR HELP: Telecaster vs Les Paul ? (jim root vs gibson gothic)

I think that's the fist heavy metal telecaster I've ever heard of.

How good are you? If you have advanced past genre bias and want a guitar with versatile tone that you can get various sounds out of it, get a PRS SE Custom 24, or any other kind of PRS that meets your budget and taste.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...eSI6WyI0Il19fQ

I know exactly nothing about guitars but the Les Paul definitely looks better.

Given those guitars you are a metal head, then unless you already have a whole collection of quality guitars I would choose the Les Paul simply because the sound of a Les Paul is more naturally aligned with metal. Although I think a Fender in that price range is probably better overall quality than a Gibson in that price range.

Just get whatever you like playing the most though.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

you are looking at two what I like to call "industry standard" guitars in a tele and a les paul, but the two specific models you are looking at are quirky versions that probably don't have that classic tone.

My advice to you is is that if you want a quirky les paul or fender why not expand your search to other brands. Just my two cents, if i'm going to buy a jazz or a precision i want those specific tonal characteristics, i'm not buying them for ergonomics or value.

Have you tried playing both? And also consider what amp you will primarily be using with the guitar. Some guitars pair better with certain amps.

In my opinion, those are not good choices. Both will have poor resale value, and there are much easier ways to acquire a hard metal sound than these somewhat gimmick versions of industry standards.

You should also be looking for used.

What type of amp do you play?

Get the epiphone gothic is pretty much the same but cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    Great budget guitar that Epiphone LP.

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    i actually have the epiphone gothic, however ive noticed it is a bit smaller than a real gibson , and feels like a "junior" guitar almost..

deuce, i am def looking at used. i agree they are gimmicky, but i love the aesthetics of gibson or fender so ill probably go with one of those, and both of these have the cool emgs 81/85s

maybe i should consider a fender jaguar .. its a little cheaper but i hear still gets grungy/dark which is the sound im looking for
    Last edited by Dizzle-2k7; 03-11-2015 at 01:13 PM.

For that budget you can probably get a late 90's early 2K Les Paul Standard or American made Tele/Strat. Better instrument and you won't lose any money (in fact probably make some) if you want to sell it in 5 years.

Honestly if it's more about tone, a quality tube amp and speaker cabinet will get you the heavy sound you're looking for. Might be able to get a good deal on a double rectifier half stack or combo for that price. The JCM 900's are known for that also. A nice high gain tube amp paired with a cabinet of V30's or GH75 will do more good than a new guitar if you already have one that you like how it plays. Hell you can switch out your pickups for 200.

kings fan

I don't like either, but I have a pretty homo taste in guitars. This is the one I bought.

Banned

I don't like either personally. If you want something for metal just get a standard LP and a suitable amp and pedal set up. Like deuce said it will hold it's value better and be more versatile down the road.

Depends on the type of music you want to play. A Tele isn't the right choice for metal but I noticed that one has humbuckers instead of the classic single coil pickups. Humbuckers have higher output than single coils and give you a more muddier deeper tone. Personally, I own a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. When I play metal I'll use my LP and when I play classic rock or blues, I mostly use my Strat. Another thing, you don't really need to spend 800-1000 bucks for a really good guitar, unless you got that kind of money to spend on one guitar go for it but I'd buy a used guitar at 500 bucks and get a good used amp for 400-500 bucks and you're set.

My advice, if you're into hard rock/heavy metal (judging by the guitars you posted), and you want a Fender or Gibson (there are other great metal guitars out there too like Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, Schecter, Hamer), buy a MIM Fender Strat with a humbucker, their Blacktop series are really good and used you can get it at around 300-400 bucks or a Gibson Les Paul studio at around 500.