Page 1 of 67 12341151 ... LastLast
    WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Connecticut Huskies fan thread

I'm gonna start off by introducing myself. I'm originally from the ESPN boards, and unfortunately those guys tend to be idiotic bums who blame everything on the refs, and don't offer objective analysises, therefore I'm happy to be a member here.

Also, it's nice to see Illinois is represented well over here, considering all I hear back @ ESPN is either "Dee Brown overrated! or Dee Brown da bess! or Washington was handed the game or GORDON and Rose? Fab 2? Illanoy etc.."

Ok, so let us reminisce upon our past season, particularly postive and negative aspects which stood out to me.

Pros
    [LIST][*]Armstrong's emergence as a very good shotblocker, interior defense, and the ability to take the roll as a starting center.[*]Denham Brown's semi breakout season and acknowledgement for his clutch shots.[*]Rashad Anderson's re-emergence from his sloppy junior year and nationwide recognition for the sharpshooting.[*]Marcus Williams passing (self explanatory)[*]The second best regular season in Uconn history, though it is arguably better than '99.[*]Jeff Adrien, promising young, tough, undersized bigman. Filled a great roll as a backup PF.[*]Craig Austrie could handle the rock quite well.[*]Marcus Johnson showed flashes of brilliance.[/LIST]
    Cons
    [LIST][*]The laptop incident, obviously, and questioning Calhoun's rather radical character into allowing for such a "small" punishment.
    [*]Rudy G**'s inability to vastly improve upon his game, and his shying away from contact. IMO he faced too much criticism, but from several analyses you can tell he wasn't completely ready to take over a game during crucial times. However, his midrange J was becoming more and more consistent, and his rebounding or hustle play wasn't disappointing either.
    [*]THe lack of cooperation among the team at times, the disinterest, the passiveness, the way two people would be involved in filling up the boxscore.
    [*]Interior Defense. Wayy overrated. Sure the team's rebounds and blocks are almost off the charts, but really man2man guys like Glen Davis, Jai Lewis, Will Thomas, Will Sheridan were abusing us with the classic dropstep, hooks etc.[*]Boone and Armstrong aren't necessarily a "FORCE" though the highlights normally shown on BSPN will give you that impression.[*]Adrien and Nelson seem to be more adequate when it comes to standing their ground.
    [*]Josh Boone, in general. Raised eyebrows freshman year, with the substitution for Meka. Didn't dissapoint soph year either. Has the size and athletic potential to become a great bigman, but apparently he doesn't regard offense as a facet of the game. Also, his effort and mental softness really stood out in games F.E. Syracuse with a LAUGHABLE 1-11 FG.
    [*]Ed Nelson. Was a great hustle player, and glued our team last year. Took over as our general anchor back in 05, and really inspired the team. The question is "WAS HE ON DECLINE AS A 21 YEAR OLD!?"
    [*]Marquette. Self-explanatory. A complete embarassment. However, I'm glad Novak and Dom James got the respect they deserved. Both of them are great collegiate players.
    [*]Marcus William's work ethic. Took him a while to get in shape. Seems disinterested at times. But when focused, he is the nation's top PG. However, it's not unanimous as some guys hype it out to be.
    [*]Anderson's inconsistency.[/LIST]

WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith

Default my thoughts

Well in my opinion I would like to apologize to the rest of the CBB world, and acknowledge you on putting up with our team.

It was painful to watch such talent fail on the big stage. In the past, I loved how our players such as Rashmael Jones, Edmund Saunders, Caron Butler, Kevin Freeman, John Selvie, Taliek Brown, would just step up in the tournament with an unbreakable will to prove something. However, this was not the case for our rather arrogant, over their heads team.

Elite Eight sounds ok, but congratulations to GMU. I would have loved for our team to face Florida because of the matchup advantages, but you guys just proved the CBB world wrong. Unfortunately, I really can't stand the fact that a midmajor had gone that far.

Congrats UCLA, for showing that great defense vs. Mem. Amazing, honestly.
    THat comeback vs. Gonzaga.
    Ben Howland, a great coach, remembered him at Pitt.

Congrats Cuse for beating us. Extending Mcnamara's legacy throughout the BE tournament despite a somewhat contemptible reg season and tournament.

Congrats Illinois and Dee Brown for the point guard award. You certainly deserved it. Also the game vs. Washington was definitely a top 5 tourney game on my list. Randle has shown emergence as well and those were sick dunks.

Congrats Duke, despite mucho criticism, you still were THE regular season team (arguably us). Redick, enjoyed watching you for four years, though I hate you and Shelden, even though centers just whooped you at times, nice job on the DPOY.

Another concern of mine was how people like Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, and Rip Hamilton KNEW they were good, but they stepped up and worked hard none the less.

Rudy and Rashard, shame on you.. but hey I enjoyed watching you after a long day @ football, volleyball, basketball practice and a day of high school.

Lo siento for the hype we had on winning the tourney, but apparently the recent history of our program stepping up during March blinded some guys.

Adios, out, comment back Uconn and fans of other remarkable programs, and feel free to criticize. I'm willing to argue.

Decent playground baller ThaKing's Avatar

No need for criticism. Its nice to have another fairly educated college fan around here. With that said, UCONN should struggle this year. They are young and inexperianced, much like the Jayhawks of last season. Good luck

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Like UNC lastyear, although they did do better than many expected.

Saw a basketball once

have u seen thw incoming freshman at all and if so what do u think?

and whast is your projected starting 5 for uconn?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore SJellen's Avatar

doron shceiffer- greatest huskie eva

Learning to shoot layups roth15syr's Avatar

UCONN stinks! You're entire lineup left. Paul Harris and Terrence Roberts are gonna light you the hell up baby!

WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith

Default asdf

Quote Originally Posted by roth15syr
    UCONN stinks! You're entire lineup left. Paul Harris and Terrence Roberts are gonna light you the hell up baby!
    Bwahahah this Paul Harris hype is getting out of control. I still liked him from the highschool vids and stuff, but really 'Cuse fans are becoming delusional.

For your Paul Harris, we got a Kelly, a Robinson, and a Thabeet. 3 top 50 players with incredible athleticism, and length. Major upside, though not too smart.

Good luck, but you think Devendork can legitimately play the PG?

Anyways our lineup should be
    PG - Craig Austrie/Doug Wiggins/Rob Garrison
    SG - AJ "Laptop" Price/Marcus Johnson
    SF - Stanley Robinson/Ben Eaves?
    PF - Jeff "Barkley" Adrien/Curtis Kelly
    C - Hasheem Thabeet/John Mandeldove

Well I'm not so sure but it's pretty exciting to have a whole new team. Hopefully, we can accomplish what UNC did last year.

How about your guys starting lineups?

Saw a basketball once

ok now way you uconn fans think your all the s&@# forget you guys i have season tickets to the cuse as soon as all your little scared freshman walk into 30,000 people screaming at them they will crumble look at this starting lineup

PG Josh Wright
    SG Eric Dev
    SF Nichols
    PF Roberts
    C Watkins

6th man Paul Harris 1-3

are you kidding me ? you guys think adrien is good the kid is 6-6 let him try to body up roberts and we will see the ball in the stands i got 3 words for you guys

BIG EAST CHAMPIONS

WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysnowshoe21
    ok now way you uconn fans think your all the s&@# forget you guys i have season tickets to the cuse as soon as all your little scared freshman walk into 30,000 people screaming at them they will crumble look at this starting lineup

PG Josh Wright
    SG Eric Dev
    SF Nichols
    PF Roberts
    C Watkins

6th man Paul Harris 1-3

are you kidding me ? you guys think adrien is good the kid is 6-6 let him try to body up roberts and we will see the ball in the stands i got 3 words for you guys

BIG EAST CHAMPIONS
    Lol, I like thy spirit and confidence.

Let us wait, it will surely be a great game to await.

What I can say is that normally young Uconn teams are underrated whereas oldern ones are overrated.

Want to make an avatar bet? Uconn by 4.

Austrie WILL neutralize DevenDORK.
    Adrien will make Roberts look like a pus.
    Thabeet will dunk over Watkins.
    AJ Price will just drop 30 over the piss poor backcourt defense.

Paul Harris is an overrated J.O.K.E.

*PS this is slight exaggeration, but is good to add to the hype n rivalry of the game. I do respect the 'Cuse, but prepare to lose.*

Saw a basketball once

well i admit that 7-2 kid is a big guy and probably will dominate watkins but harris is no joke harris is hyped to be a smaller version of lebron james with better defense this kid can't be contained and nichols man oh man this is nichols year if you guys would have kept one of your star six i would be saying other wise but its to much of a lose for this year and plus look at this site

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=342&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2007

uconn has one offer for 07 to bill walker and that is the dumbest move along with syracuse they have no chance hes a wildcat hes just delaying the decision syacuse has the number 1 class i mean if uconn wants to be productive they have to get recruiting cuz Thabeet and Robinson are one and done

Saw a basketball once

well i admit that 7-2 kid is a big guy and probably will dominate watkins but harris is no joke harris is hyped to be a smaller version of lebron james with better defense this kid can't be contained and nichols man oh man this is nichols year if you guys would have kept one of your star six i would be saying other wise but its to much of a lose for this year and plus look at this site

uconn has one offer for 07 to bill walker and that is the dumbest move along with syracuse they have no chance hes a wildcat hes just delaying the decision syacuse has the number 1 class i mean if uconn wants to be productive they have to get recruiting cuz Thabeet and Robinson are one and done

Saw a basketball once

Saw a basketball once

ok i have to agree with you on some things. first you make it seem like its going to be a blow out. no, close game maybe even last minute game. second, i love cuse and uconn they are missing alot from last year but maybe are even getting better since these young kids have to step up. last paul harris is good but not a starter. And yes i know its weird i love them both but its just to good of a rivalry to not love them.

How good is AJ Price? I've never seen him play and this season will be his first actually playing for UCONN, so will he still be considered a freshman?