Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #61
pauk
NBA Legend

Default Re: Ramadan Mubarak 2018, 1439 AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
Going back to what I pointed out, you guys should really examine the need for reformation of the teachings. Perhaps simplify it for the lower IQ guys out there?

Until then, the misinterpretations will continue and more people will die, more kids will suffer child abuse.

Even myself I didnt know about Hadiths... or Sharia... or Shia/other muslim sects etc... and some other things about the veil/burka/hijab (wasnt exposed to Burkas at all and/or even many Hijab sporting women for example ever) and even music (many Arabs feel music is haram/that you go to hell for listening to music, that shocked me, think it was the biggest bullshit i ever heard/still do) and how Islam is in the middle-east etc.... until i went & grew up in Denmark (and visited London/UK, Paris) and got exposed to those middle-east muslims (all the sects, middle-east traditions, etc)...

You cant find that in Bosnia... there is no such thing in Balkans/Bosnia, Islam there is extremly modern as it should be, westernised so to say, 99.99% of the women dont sport a Hijab for example (unless they visit a mosque/pray/cemetary etc), that other 0.01% that sport it are all old women, the Burka however is unheard of.... and other stuff i didnt know... its a bit more secular there... my dad (Muslim) drinks alcohol (wine, responsibly, it is healthy actually)... doesnt pray, sometimes he does like in Ramadan maybe once, then goes to the mosque at times... no effs given... my sister goes around "half naked" during summer/tanning season and then goes to the mosque at times, with a veil... no effs given... its just relaxed... in Bosnia we believe that you are a muslim in the heart/your actions first of all or else you are missing the point...

So i mean even i as a Muslim from Bosnia i feel many places in the middle-east is a confusing place, not a good place to be, i feel like they are still in that old school era, holding on to all the strict traditions (arabic influenced, not islam influenced) and there is all the sects there, some of the views/stuff happening there is still creepy to me...

Being a real/traditional Muslim (HANAFI Sunni, those who follow only KORAN & God & his prophets, you know Jesus/Issa/Yeshua, Abraham/Ibrahim, Mohamed, Moses/Musa pbuh etc) with a Modern more relaxed style is the only / correct way to go....

Instead, Islam is so vast, many different sects and shit... it shouldnt be...

Once in Denmark as a kid i had a friend in my basketball team who was a Pakistani (Shia) who once took of his shirt and i saw his back.... it was full with crazy scars, like he survived mauling from a tiger or something... i had to ask what happened to him, he was like: "Oh, muslims do that in Pakistan, you dont?", i was like wtf??? NO!? Do what!?!? Then he explained he was Shia (and what that is) and that they would hack/stab their backs with knives/blades and shit... to honor some dude... i was so scared and had to google it.... and it shocked me even more when i saw the graphic vids/pics of the things they would do.... i was afraid to go to his home afterwards knowing his Dad is probably even worse (especially when considering he probably forced his son to do that) even though he was such a nice guy...

Last edited by pauk : 07-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #62
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Even myself I didnt know about Hadiths... or Sharia... or Shia/other muslim sects etc... and some other things about the veil/burka/hijab (wasnt exposed to Burkas at all and/or even many Hijab sporting women for example ever) and even music (many Arabs feel music is haram/that you go to hell for listening to music, that shocked me, think it was the biggest bullshit i ever heard/still do) and how Islam is in the middle-east etc.... until i went & grew up in Denmark (and visited London/UK, Paris) and got exposed to those middle-east muslims (all the sects, middle-east traditions, etc)...

You cant find that in Bosnia... there is no such thing in Balkans/Bosnia, Islam there is extremly modern as it should be, westernised so to say, 99.99% of the women dont sport a Hijab for example (unless they visit a mosque/pray/cemetary etc), that other 0.01% that sport it are all old women, the Burka however is unheard of.... and other stuff i didnt know... its a bit more secular there... my dad (Muslim) drinks alcohol (wine, responsibly, it is healthy actually)... doesnt pray, sometimes he does like in Ramadan maybe once, then goes to the mosque at times... no effs given... my sister goes around "half naked" during summer/tanning season and then goes to the mosque at times, with a veil... no effs given... its just relaxed... in Bosnia we believe that you are a muslim in the heart/your actions first of all or else you are missing the point...

So i mean even i as a Muslim from Bosnia i feel many places in the middle-east is a confusing place, not a good place to be, i feel like they are still in that old school era, holding on to all the strict traditions (arabic influenced, not islam influenced) and there is all the sects there, some of the views/stuff happening there is still creepy to me...

Being a real/traditional Muslim (HANAFI Sunni, those who follow only KORAN & God & his prophets, you know Jesus/Issa/Yeshua, Abraham/Ibrahim, Mohamed, Moses/Musa pbuh etc) with a Modern more relaxed style is the only / correct way to go....

Instead, Islam is so vast, many different sects and shit... it shouldnt be...

Once in Denmark as a kid i had a friend in my basketball team who was a Pakistani (Shia) who once took of his shirt and i saw his back.... it was full with crazy scars, like he survived mauling from a tiger or something... i had to ask what happened to him, he was like: "Oh, muslims do that in Pakistan, you dont?", i was like wtf??? NO!? Do what!?!? Then he explained he was Shia (and what that is) and that they would hack/stab their backs with knives/blades and shit... to honor some dude... i was so scared and had to google it.... and it shocked me even more when i saw the graphic vids/pics of the things they would do.... i was afraid to go to his home afterwards knowing his Dad is probably even worse (especially when considering he probably forced his son to do that) even though he was such a nice guy...

Yeah most of this is true. I've been living in Vienna for a while now and the difference between the muslims here and the ones in London and Birmingham is enormous. The 30,000 Afghanis here cause more problems than all the Bosniaks and Turks combined (though it is perfectly understandable why Austrians should dislike the large numbers of Turks spreading throughout their country). There's also the unpleasant fact that the UK government has enabled the spread of Salafism in their own country in order to be sycophantic towards the Saudis and Gulf Arab states, all while railing against Iran (who isn't a problem for anyone except Israel and Saudi Arabia, and has done nothing to warrant such attacks). These politicians need to be made to pay for what they've done, because there is no accountability, and they have betrayed the safety and wellbeing of their own people for foreign gold (no different to treason).

But yeah, the Pakistani muslims in the UK have this unpleasant combination of hardline Islam (full niqabs), and street-thug culture that is an American import (the more Americanised a culture is the more trashy and crass it becomes). I don't see it here, at least where i live (where most of the muslims are just tight-knit families that keep to themselves and are well behaved--the "Arab" and African male youth "refugees" are a different matter though, and the more of them there are the more unpleasant and antisocial their behaviour becomes).
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #63
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Get rid of the Hadith. This will ensure less fundamentalist nut jobs going insane during Ramadan.

Reformation is needed. Iím sure most of you guys arenít murderers.

There already has been a reformation within Islam: it's called Salafism. The biggest myth is that reform comes with moderation. In reality it was quite the opposite: the Reformation was coterminous with religious extremism and savage religious wars. If anything moderated the influence of Christianity in Europe it was the implementation of the Westphalian system, which came after the brutality of the 30 years war, and which developed as a response to that savagery (and laid the foundations for the modern "nation-state").

The Christian Reformation, for example, was similarly extreme in that the reform movement was full of a bunch of puritanical fanatics, large numbers of whom went to America, and who sowed revolution at home (as in England).
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #64
Patrick Chewing
Soldier of God

The man is back!!
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #65
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Those scars on the back, it's more a culture thing. They beat their chests during Muharram to commemorate the passing of Hussain, the grandson of the Prophet, most of them do it calmly. But on Ashura (10th of Muharram) some beat their backs with blades. It seems pretty barbaric to me, but they are not harming anyone but themselves. Some have been convinced by their father to do it at an early age, how about beat your chest with your hands and just donate blood? Same effect. But who are we to tell someone how to grieve?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #66
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM

Good discussion

Iím not here to tell people how to live. I want a better life for us all, no matter who you are.

Like dresta pointed out, thereís a large section in the Muslim community stuck in the equivalent of the Puritanism society many nutjob christians lived by back in the day.

Hard to fix. Many Muslims marry, fornicate with cousins which leads to birth defects and lower IQ. What chance do they have overcoming the complexities of the Koran, Hadith etc if they are interbreeding?

We can only affect change discussing and loving each other. Fighting wars and hating will only perpetuate the problem.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #67
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
Those scars on the back, it's more a culture thing. They beat their chests during Muharram to commemorate the passing of Hussain, the grandson of the Prophet, most of them do it calmly. But on Ashura (10th of Muharram) some beat their backs with blades. It seems pretty barbaric to me, but they are not harming anyone but themselves. Some have been convinced by their father to do it at an early age, how about beat your chest with your hands and just donate blood? Same effect. But who are we to tell someone how to grieve?

Yea i know that now bro it was just frightening when i first found out about it, as a kid, and confusing (amongst other things about middle-east/islam). Its different for middle-eastern muslims as they get to know about everything Islam / are exposed to all kinds of Islam from as early age as possible (including clashes between those)... if you are in Bosnia you know/see only one thing and one view and its all peace n harmony... like most Bosnians, Bosniaks i mean (despite being muslim) who for the first time see a pack of Niqab/Burka sporting women walking around, they cant help but give a weird surprised "what!?" stare... When you ask a Niqab/Burka wearing woman why she wears that she will inevitably say "Because im Muslim".... a Bosnian will not agree with that entirely.... just a small tiny example... of very many... so many cultural differences... oh well... Allah/God Knows Best!

Anyways, changing subject, i have continued to fast after Ramadan, not so much Ramadan style fasting, but been doing intermittent fasting (8/16, 8 hour span you can eat, 16 hour fast).... takes just some day to get fully used to it and you will feel 0% hunger during the 16 hour fast, as long as you plan your meals correctly during the 8 hour eating period, i for example eat the 1st hour and the last hour preferably healthy & something that will keep you happy during the 16 hour fast coming.... during the 16 hour fast you can drink water (not anything else) if you have to and its usually a time you can plan to sleep away most of anyways.... so you wont even notice the fast much... :)

I highly recommend it.... i feel great everyday, i feel less tired, have more energy, i work out harder, my body fat% has decreased alot, gained more muscle, even my mind feels sharper, hard to explain... it is absolute awesomeness....

Ramadan style fasting is great but not something you can live with entire life and go work/workout hard physically and stuff, its that no water thing that eventually takes a heavy toll on your body, i mean its healthy, healthy for some month/period, it cleanses you mentally/physically and has a good deed/meaning and so on for Islam.... but probably not something great to do everyday for the rest of your life.... intermittent fasting you can do 24-7-365 and it only improves you, in every way.... and ofcourse when its Ramadan, ill do that, probably will make it even easier after doing intermittent fasting so much, maybe, shall see.

Last edited by pauk : 07-10-2018 at 11:30 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #68
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Good discussion

Iím not here to tell people how to live. I want a better life for us all, no matter who you are.

Like dresta pointed out, thereís a large section in the Muslim community stuck in the equivalent of the Puritanism society many nutjob christians lived by back in the day.

Hard to fix. Many Muslims marry, fornicate with cousins which leads to birth defects and lower IQ. What chance do they have overcoming the complexities of the Koran, Hadith etc if they are interbreeding?

We can only affect change discussing and loving each other. Fighting wars and hating will only perpetuate the problem.

Yes. We should strive to attain knowledge.

We should love one another and communicate as we were all created by the One God.

The God of Abraham Ishmael Isaac Jacob Joseph Moses Jesus Muhammad (pbuh)
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #69
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
WOW YAYYY!!!! I'll pray for you marriage is such a blessing. I wish you nothing but the best brother JMoney!

Let us know how your bonding experiences go with her

Thank you so much brother for each and every thought. Please pray for the people of Pakistan too man. The hospitality my family received from them was incredible. Each and every member of my wife's family and my father's friend family that came was making dua for us, saying "Mubarak" "Allah T'aala be pleased (in urdu)"etc. and though they had little they gave so, so, so, so much---sacrificing their time to make us feel comfortable, invited, given advice.

I didn't know much about the girl other than that she was well educated, pretty, and had very very strong family values (she deeply cares for her parents and brothers) among other things. There's a bit of a communication gap---but she's got a penchant for American films and some American music--- so we connected on those (especially horror films).
Actually our wedding movie had Ellie GOlding on it
ANd she knows I love playing basketball -whereas her brother are into cricket!

I'm so blessed. I have a lady in my life that sincerely cares about me, that has a huge family that supports, that are so humble and so kind and grounded, and care for the welfare of mankind--education for women, better treatment of the poor, better treatment of the slaves.

It goes both ways though---and I've done (some of) my homework. I try to be kind and gentle and understanding and I make sure to use a mix of humor, love, and religious commitment so far (though I have a long way to go to become a good husband).

This will be interesting journey though. Thank you imdaman99 and pauk for the well wishes. May Allah grant you good families too.

It's changed me too. 7 years ago I was ruled by my carnal pleasures. Right here and right now my heart is cleaner and able to seek loftier higher things. Alhamdullilah.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 07-14-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #70
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

17 Qualities That Allah Loves
Quote:
1) Patience:
“And Allah loves as-S‚birun (the patient).” (Surah Imran 3:146)
2) Justice and Dealing with Equity:
“O ye who believe! Be steadfast witnesses for Allah in equity, and let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly. Deal justly, that is nearer to your duty. Observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is informed of what ye do.” (Surah Maeda 5:8)
3) Putting Trust in Allah:
“Certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).” (Surah Imran 3:159)
4) Kindness:
Ayesha (RA) narrated: The Messenger of Allah (SAW ) said: “Allah
loves kindness in all matters.” (Bukhari)
5) Repentance:
“Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto him in repentance.” (Surah Baqarah 2:222)
6) Piety:
“Verily, then Allah loves those who are al-Muttaqun (the pious).” (Surah Imran 3:76)
7) Good-doing:
“Truly, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).” (Surah Baqarah 2:195)
8) Purification:
“And Allah loves those who make themselves clean and pure.” (Surah Tawbah 9:108)
9) Humility of the Rich:
Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqqas (RA) said: Allah’s Messenger (SAW ) said: “Allah loves the believer who is pious and rich, but does not show off.” (Muslim)
10) Belief and Work:
Al-Tabar‚ni narrated: Allah’s Messenger (SAW ) said: “Allah loves the slave who believes and acquires a career (or work).”

11) A sense of Honour:
Al-Tirmidhi narrated: Allah’s Messenger (SAW ) said: “Allah loves from amongst his slaves, the one who has a sense of zeal or honour.”
12) Magnanimity:
Al-Hakim narrated: The Messenger of Allah (SAW ) said: “ Allah is All-Generous and He loves generosity in sale, purchase and judgment.”
13) Virtuosity:
The Messenger of Allah (SAW)said: “Allah loves the believer who is poor but virtuous enough to refrain from begging though he has many children.” (Muslim and Ahmed)
14) Strength:
Allah’s Messenger (SAW ) said: “The strong believer is better and more loved by Allah than the weak one, but they are both good.” (Muslim)
15) Love for the Sake of Allah:
Al-Tabar‚ni, Ibn Ya’l‚, Ibn Hibban and Al-Hakim narrated: Allah’s Messenger
(SAW ) said: “If two individuals love each other for the sake of Allah, the stronger in love to his brother will be more loved by Allah.”

16) Continuous Performance of Righteous Deeds:
Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “The best loved deeds to Allah are the ones that are continuous even if they are not very many.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
17) Good Manners and Conduct:
Al-Tirmidhi narrated: Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “The best loved by me and the nearest to me on the seats on the Day of Resurrection are those who have the best manners and conduct amongst you, who are intimate, are on good terms with others and are humble, and the most hated by me and who will be on the furthest seats from me are those who are talkative and arrogant.”

Love of Allah is the basis of worship that should be directed to Him alone. Any other love should be for his sake too. The real love of Allah is to do whatever He ordained and to abandon whatever He forbade, in addition to Following Rasulullah (SAW)’s Sunnah. Whoever obeys someone or something other than Allah and His Messenger (SAW), or
follows any saying other than theirs, or fears other than Allah or seeks the pleasure of other than Allah, or puts his trust in other than Him, does not love Allah, nor does he love His Messenger (SAW). Muslims should also love one another and wish the best for one another. Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “One will not be a true believer unless he loves for his brother what be loves for himself.” (Bukhari)
- http://www.thekhalids.org/index.php/...-loves-a-hates
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: