Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Exclamation Question for 60s stans (LAZERUS, CAVSFTW)

Do you believe the sport of boxing right now is just as strong as it was in the 70s/80s?

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Question for 60s stans (LAZERUS, CAVSFTW)

Its much weaker now. Google Mayweather vs Sugar Ray Leonard. Daddy Mayweather used the same defense Floyd does. Both were minimalist on offense. 70's/80's was the best boxing ever.

I would take a prime Foreman over anyone else today.

I don't know about boxers, but this is the GOAT entrance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTkd403Rmg

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Its much weaker now. Google Mayweather vs Sugar Ray Leonard. Daddy Mayweather used the same defense Floyd does. Both were minimalist on offense. 70's/80's was the best boxing ever.
    - Comparing Floyd h2h with a natural Welterweight is not fair..It would be like me saying Roy Jones beats Ray Leonard at MW (which he does). No one with considers Floyd a h2h all time great at WW. Below that though: he is.

- Daddy Mayweather is considerably worse than Floyd. He was fringe top 10 at his best.

- Floyd is only really a minimalist on offence since he's 38 ****ing years old in his 4th weight class. Go watch him from 130-140. And even beyond that up to the Cotto fight. Not a minimalist.

I agree though, 70s & 80s as an era were better.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I would take a prime Foreman over anyone else today.

So we've come to the conclusion that 70s/80s boxing was better than today, due to the fact that it was more popular back then and thus more people tried to become boxers?

Well the opposite is true for basketball....who the **** wanted to play basketball in the 60s when you could make more as an insurance salesman?...this is why 60s = weak era, 90s/00s (where everybody grows up wanting to make millions playing ball) = Strong era.

I welcome anyone and everyone on ISH to go watch CuckFTW's videos of him playing ball and then come back here and tell me with a f[COLOR="Black"]uck[/COLOR]ing straight face that you still take him seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    - Comparing Floyd h2h with a natural Welterweight is not fair..It would be like me saying Roy Jones beats Ray Leonard at MW (which he does). No one with considers Floyd a h2h all time great at WW. Below that though: he is.

- Daddy Mayweather is considerably worse than Floyd. He was fringe top 10 at his best.

- Floyd is only really a minimalist on offence since he's 38 ****ing years old in his 4th weight class. Go watch him from 130-140. And even beyond that up to the Cotto fight. Not a minimalist.

So we've come to the conclusion that 70s/80s boxing was better than today, due to the fact that it was more popular back then and thus more people tried to become boxers?

Well the opposite is true for basketball....who the **** wanted to play basketball in the 60s when you could make more as an insurance salesman?...this is why 60s = weak era, 90s/00s (where everybody grows up wanting to make millions playing ball) = Strong era.
    I don't see how me telling you that I would take Foreman over anyone else today makes either era any better. Foreman was a once-in-lifetime-boxer...like Wilt, Oscar, Pistol, Kareem, and others from the 60's and 70's were in basketball.

I have long maintained that there have been greats in EVERY era.

One more time...

My All-Time Top-10

Wilt
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Bird

Moses
    Dr. J
    Hakeem

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I don't see how me telling you that I would take Foreman over anyone else today makes either era any better. Foreman was a once-in-lifetime-boxer...like Wilt, Oscar, Pistol, Kareem, and others from the 60's and 70's were in basketball.

One more time...

My All-Time Top-10

Wilt
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Bird

Moses
    Dr. J
    Hakeem
    If we operate under the assumption that every era is equal: wladimir Klitschko > George foreman ainec

Facts Are Misleading

One more time...

My All-Time Top-10

Wilt
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Bird

Moses
    Dr. J
    Hakeem
    What's the argument for Wilt over MJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    What's the argument for Wilt over MJ?
    and Magic as the 3rd greatest basketball player ever is hard to justify as well.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb

It was a skill comparison which is fair. Mayweather Senior was the first to master that defense. Its impenetrable now because fighters don't take chances these days. Today Senior would be top three.
    He is a minimalist in comparison to Aaron Pryor, Argeullo, Mancini and Duran who were lighter than Sugar Ray. And the lighter divisions are usually more active.

I think they were better fighters because Pride, taking chances and risk were more the order of the day. No way does a much bigger Canello not take risk against a guy like Mayweather who was rarely knocking out guys 20 lbs lighter than Canello. And he's destined to be the next pound for pound title. Could you imagine the job Hearns, Sugar Ray and Hagler would have done to Canello. He would be a Pineada for them.

Back to what you said earlier, while I think Roy Jones had one of the best offensive reperoires in boxing ever (head, body attacks, speed, quirkiness, jab, combinations, cross, hooks, uppercut, knockout power, etc.) He had trouble adapting to firm boxing styles that had good defense. Sugar Ray beats him in their prime at a catch weight. Hagler too in my opinion.

[QUOTE]With a press conference set for the Astrodome, everybody, the parties involved and an orgy of international press were all in attendance. Ali couldn

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    and Magic as the 3rd greatest basketball player ever is hard to justify as well.
    Best team player, won five times in the hardest era ever, ran the best offense ever, was super efficient, could adapt better than any player, got more easy baskets than any player ever, controlled the game as good as anybody ever, the best in the modern era in making others better.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

It was a skill comparison which is fair. Mayweather Senior was the first to master that defense. Its impenetrable now because fighters don't take chances these days. Today Senior would be top three.
    If it's purely a skills comparison then Mayweather is very close to Leonard, he would lose to him due to size....but p4p skills? splitting hairs

And LMAO at Mayweather sr. being the first to master the defense...the philly shell/shoulder roll has been used since at least the ****ing 50s/60s...He absolutely was not the first to pioneer/master it...

Saying Leonard > Mayweather because "look what he did to Mayweather sr."...is like saying Kyrie > Kobe because he's better than JR Smith..Terrible logic

He is a minimalist in comparison to Aaron Pryor, Argeullo, Mancini and Duran who were lighter than Sugar Ray. And the lighter divisions are usually more active.
    He raises his output when he needs to. He outthrew Pacquiao and Cotto, supposed "volume punchers". There is nothing wrong with his punch output...he's not Adrien Broner.

I think they were better fighters because Pride, taking chances and risk were more the order of the day. No way does a much bigger Canello not take risk against a guy like Mayweather who was rarely knocking out guys 20 lbs lighter than Canello. And he's destined to be the next pound for pound title. Could you imagine the job Hearns, Sugar Ray and Hagler would have done to Canello. He would be a Pineada for them.
    I think you'll find that Floyd hits harder than most people give him credit for....also Canelo was never a pressure fighter he's more of a boxer puncher/counter-puncher.

Back to what you said earlier, while I think Roy Jones had one of the best offensive reperoires in boxing ever (head, body attacks, speed, quirkiness, jab, combinations, cross, hooks, uppercut, knockout power, etc.) He had trouble adapting to firm boxing styles that had good defense. Sugar Ray beats him in their prime at a catch weight. Hagler too in my opinion.
    Clearly you've never watched Roy Jones fight, beyond highlights. Jones was every bit the pot-shotter Floyd is. He rarely jabbed or threw combinations, and was in fact a very good defensive fighter. He also did NOT struggle with good defenses...He obliterated Toney and Hopkins who were/are both better on defense than Ray Leonard.

And he beats Hagler too.